When to use Versionner and when to use Monticello

When to use Versionner and when to use Monticello

Sergio Fedi
Great, now that I saw these screencasts of Versionner
(which I'm still trying to have a hang on)
I would like to ask:

When do we use Versionner and when do we use Monticello?

Putting it in another way:

What tasks are only possible through Monticello?

What tasks you should be doing in Versionner?

Re: When to use Versionner and when to use Monticello

CyrilFerlicot
Everything you can do with a versionner, you can do it by writing a ConfigurationOfX package and with Monticiello. Versionner is just an easy way to do configurations. You can easily manage packages dependencies.
I know that you can't do some things with Versionner (for example you have to write the ConfigurationOfPillar yourself because we can't use versionner for it) but I don't know why exactly. Maybe someone else know.
You can do everything with Monticiello but it's easier to manage packages dependencies and projects with versionner.
When you have a project with many packages or dependencies, you can use versionner. At the end you can load everything with a simple script like:

Gofer new smalltalkhubUser: 'User' project: 'Project'; configuration; load. (Smalltalk globals at: #ConfigurationOfX) load

Le jeudi 30 avril 2015, Sergio Fedi <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Great, now that I saw these screencasts of Versionner
(which I'm still trying to have a hang on)
I would like to ask:

When do we use Versionner and when do we use Monticello?

Putting it in another way:

What tasks are only possible through Monticello?

What tasks you should be doing in Versionner?

Re: When to use Versionner and when to use Monticello

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sergio Fedi wrote
When do we use Versionner and when do we use Monticello?
Simple answer: Monticello is our SCM system that groups code into packages. Metacello is a package management system that declares dependencies between those packages in configuration classes. Versionner is a GUI for Metacello that allows you to use a nice (but limited, as are most GUI tools) tool instead of writing configs by hand.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: When to use Versionner and when to use Monticello

Sergio Fedi
Great, thanks for the answers.

They made it way more clear.

Re: When to use Versionner and when to use Monticello

EstebanLM

> On 01 May 2015, at 21:36, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sergio Fedi wrote
>> When do we use Versionner and when do we use Monticello?
>
> Simple answer: Monticello is our SCM system that groups code into packages.
> Metacello is a package management system that declares dependencies between
> those packages in configuration classes. Versionner is a GUI for Metacello
> that allows you to use a nice (but limited, as are most GUI tools) tool
> instead of writing configs by hand.

Esteban