Where (as in Git project) should Calypso browser source code commands live?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where (as in Git project) should Calypso browser source code commands live?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi - I’ve had a few changes lined up to try and help P7 be a little more IntelliJ like. But I’m not sure what package my small extensions should live in?

I used SycRenameTempCommand as an example - but it lives in a package called "SystemCommands-SourceCodeCommands” - however I can’t see where that package  is git versioned as when I browse the Pharo working copy, it doesn’t appear. Is this some low level piece that hasn’t been moved into git yet?

My commands are - ExtendSelection (a keypress to intelligently widen the selection of selected code to aid refactoring or moving code around), and JumpToNextKeyword - a keystroke to intelligently jump you to where you can enter a code completed keyboard or block variable etc.

This got me thinking - about where these should live - are they in the Calypso project - and would l do a PR there - or are they in Pharo and I create a PR there?

Suggestions?

Tim
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where (as in Git project) should Calypso browser source code commands live?

Denis Kudriashov
Hi Tim.

The idea was to have reusable commands to work with system objects (method, classes and packages). It is clear that those commands should not depends on browser and should be accessible from other tools. This is the reason why they are packaged separately (SystemCommands).

According to your question I would add your commands to SystemCommands-SourceCodeCommands package because they are bound to source code, not just to text editor.

2018-08-19 16:12 GMT+01:00 Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>:
Hi - I’ve had a few changes lined up to try and help P7 be a little more IntelliJ like. But I’m not sure what package my small extensions should live in?

I used SycRenameTempCommand as an example - but it lives in a package called "SystemCommands-SourceCodeCommands” - however I can’t see where that package  is git versioned as when I browse the Pharo working copy, it doesn’t appear. Is this some low level piece that hasn’t been moved into git yet?

My commands are - ExtendSelection (a keypress to intelligently widen the selection of selected code to aid refactoring or moving code around), and JumpToNextKeyword - a keystroke to intelligently jump you to where you can enter a code completed keyboard or block variable etc.

This got me thinking - about where these should live - are they in the Calypso project - and would l do a PR there - or are they in Pharo and I create a PR there?

Suggestions?

Tim

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
Thanks for chipping in Denis - I guess what’s weird about this set of commands is that they are a bit editor specific as they all move your cursor or text selection to specific places (the other commands are much more generic).

Still, I think it makes sense to put them in a sub-package like SystemCommands-SourceNaviagationCommands.

But I guess my real question is, what project owns these commands? When I make changes, neither the Pharo nor Calypso projects show anything to commit ?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone
On 19 Aug 2018, at 14:41, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tim.

The idea was to have reusable commands to work with system objects (method, classes and packages). It is clear that those commands should not depends on browser and should be accessible from other tools. This is the reason why they are packaged separately (SystemCommands).

According to your question I would add your commands to SystemCommands-SourceCodeCommands package because they are bound to source code, not just to text editor.

I used SycRenameTempCommand as an example - but it lives in a package called "SystemCommands-SourceCodeCommands” - however I can’t see where that package  is git versioned as when I browse the Pharo working copy, it doesn’t appear. Is this some low level piece that hasn’t been moved into git yet?

Suggestions?

Tim

Reply | Threaded
|

Denis Kudriashov

2018-08-19 23:12 GMT+01:00 Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>:
Thanks for chipping in Denis - I guess what’s weird about this set of commands is that they are a bit editor specific as they all move your cursor or text selection to specific places (the other commands are much more generic).

Still, I think it makes sense to put them in a sub-package like SystemCommands-SourceNaviagationCommands.

But I guess my real question is, what project owns these commands? When I make changes, neither the Pharo nor Calypso projects show anything to commit ?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone
On 19 Aug 2018, at 14:41, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tim.

Suggestions?

Tim