Where did all the Comments Go?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where did all the Comments Go?

Andrew Black-2
My third attempt to post this ...

I’m coming back to Pharo after not having used it for several months.  I’m pleased to see that Pharo 7 is now stable and that work has started on Pharo 8.

I downloaded a new Pharo Launcher (the old one could no longer figure out which version of the VM to use), used the Launcher to create a Pharo 7.0 stable image, and started loading my packages into it from github.

My attempt to install the baseline of my code failed when some initialization code could not get the definitionComment for my parser (which is written using SmaCC).  Normally, SmaCC stores one’s whole grammar _as a method comment_ in a method called definitionComment.   Oddly, this method was empty, even though the version on disk (in the file Grace-Parser.package/GraceParser.class/class/definitionComment.st) contained the comment, as I expected.

Hoping to at least complete the installation of my code, I manually copied the comment from this file into Calypso and saved the method.  It looked fine, but as soon as I moved Calypso to another method, and then back again, the comment had disappeared.  I experimented with adding comments to other methods: they looked fine, and I could save the method, but if I moved to another method and then back, the comment had disappeared.

Class comments have also disappeared.

I don’t think that this is a Calypso problem, because the loading of code from git would not involve Calypso. Rather it is a code storage problem.  I saw a File System primitive failure when I launched my new image, but ignored it; I’m guessing that the comments disappear because they are only in the file system, whereas the code is in memory.  And for some reason I can’t access the sources file?  The changes file ahs been created as expected.

I just tried downloading the VM manually, and running the “stable” image that I created, and this time got a different file system primitive failure on startup: #createDirectory in MacStore.

What’s going on?  What’s the right way to get a working Pharo in the New World Order?

        Andrew


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where did all the Comments Go?

Andrew Black-2
To try and make some progress, I copied a working image from another machine.  On startup (on MacOS 10.14.6) I get this walkback:

File class(ProtoObject)>>primitiveFailed:
File class(ProtoObject)>>primitiveFailed
File class>>fileDescriptorType:
File class>>fileDescriptorIsAvailable:
Stdio class>>standardIOStreamNamed:forWrite:
Stdio class>>stdout
VTermOutputDriver class>>stdout
BasicCommandLineHandler(CommandLineHandler)>>initializeStdout
BasicCommandLineHandler(CommandLineHandler)>>initialize
BasicCommandLineHandler>>initialize
BasicCommandLineHandler class(Behavior)>>new
[ self new activate ] in BasicCommandLineHandler class>>startUp: in Block: [ self new activate ]
BlockClosure>>cull:
WorkingSession>>executeDeferredStartupActions:
WorkingSession>>runStartup:
WorkingSession>>start:
SessionManager>>launchSnapshot:andQuit:
[ isImageStarting := self launchSnapshot: save andQuit: quit.
wait signal ] in SessionManager>>snapshot:andQuit: in Block: [ isImageStarting := self launchSnapshot: save and...etc...
[ self value.
Processor terminateActive ] in BlockClosure>>newProcess in Block: [ self value....


> On 19 Sep 2019, at 17:43 , Andrew Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m coming back to Pharo after not having used it for several months.  I’m pleased to see that Pharo 7 is now stable and that work has started on Pharo 8.
>
> I downloaded a new Pharo Launcher (the old one could no longer figure out which version of the VM to use), used the Launcher to create a Pharo 7.0 stable image, and started loading my packages into it from github.
>
> My attempt to install the baseline of my code failed when some initialization code could not get the definitionComment for my parser (which is written using SmaCC).  Normally, SmaCC stores one’s whole grammar _as a method comment_ in a method called definitionComment.   Oddly, this method was empty, even though the version on disk (in the file Grace-Parser.package/GraceParser.class/class/definitionComment.st) contained the comment, as I expected.
>
> Hoping to at least complete the installation of my code, I manually copied the comment from this file into Calypso and saved the method.  It looked fine, but as soon as I moved Calypso to another method, and then back again, the comment had disappeared.  I experimented with adding comments to other methods: they looked fine, and I could save the method, but if I moved to another method and then back, the comment had disappeared.
>
> Class comments have also disappeared.
>
> I don’t think that this is a Calypso problem, because the loading of code from git would not involve Calypso. Rather it is a code storage problem.  I saw a File System primitive failure when I launched my new image, but ignored it; I’m guessing that the comments disappear because they are only in the file system, whereas the code is in memory.  And for some reason I can’t access the sources file?  The changes file ahs been created as expected.
>
> I just tried downloading the VM manually, and running the “stable” image that I created, and this time got a different file system primitive failure on startup: #createDirectory in MacStore.
>
> What’s going on?  What’s the right way to get a working Pharo in the New World Order?
>
> Andrew
>



____________________________
Prof. Andrew P. Black
Department of Computer Science
Portland State University
Oregon, USA

http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~black
Telephone: +1 503 725 2411




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where did all the Comments Go?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Andrew,

Are you saying all method and class comments are gone, in the whole system, or just the ones from new code that you loaded ?

And is this the case only for you own code, or anything loaded extra ?

Sven

> On 20 Sep 2019, at 23:59, Andrew Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> To try and make some progress, I copied a working image from another machine.  On startup (on MacOS 10.14.6) I get this walkback:
>
> File class(ProtoObject)>>primitiveFailed:
> File class(ProtoObject)>>primitiveFailed
> File class>>fileDescriptorType:
> File class>>fileDescriptorIsAvailable:
> Stdio class>>standardIOStreamNamed:forWrite:
> Stdio class>>stdout
> VTermOutputDriver class>>stdout
> BasicCommandLineHandler(CommandLineHandler)>>initializeStdout
> BasicCommandLineHandler(CommandLineHandler)>>initialize
> BasicCommandLineHandler>>initialize
> BasicCommandLineHandler class(Behavior)>>new
> [ self new activate ] in BasicCommandLineHandler class>>startUp: in Block: [ self new activate ]
> BlockClosure>>cull:
> WorkingSession>>executeDeferredStartupActions:
> WorkingSession>>runStartup:
> WorkingSession>>start:
> SessionManager>>launchSnapshot:andQuit:
> [ isImageStarting := self launchSnapshot: save andQuit: quit.
> wait signal ] in SessionManager>>snapshot:andQuit: in Block: [ isImageStarting := self launchSnapshot: save and...etc...
> [ self value.
> Processor terminateActive ] in BlockClosure>>newProcess in Block: [ self value....
>
>
>> On 19 Sep 2019, at 17:43 , Andrew Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’m coming back to Pharo after not having used it for several months.  I’m pleased to see that Pharo 7 is now stable and that work has started on Pharo 8.
>>
>> I downloaded a new Pharo Launcher (the old one could no longer figure out which version of the VM to use), used the Launcher to create a Pharo 7.0 stable image, and started loading my packages into it from github.
>>
>> My attempt to install the baseline of my code failed when some initialization code could not get the definitionComment for my parser (which is written using SmaCC).  Normally, SmaCC stores one’s whole grammar _as a method comment_ in a method called definitionComment.   Oddly, this method was empty, even though the version on disk (in the file Grace-Parser.package/GraceParser.class/class/definitionComment.st) contained the comment, as I expected.
>>
>> Hoping to at least complete the installation of my code, I manually copied the comment from this file into Calypso and saved the method.  It looked fine, but as soon as I moved Calypso to another method, and then back again, the comment had disappeared.  I experimented with adding comments to other methods: they looked fine, and I could save the method, but if I moved to another method and then back, the comment had disappeared.
>>
>> Class comments have also disappeared.
>>
>> I don’t think that this is a Calypso problem, because the loading of code from git would not involve Calypso. Rather it is a code storage problem.  I saw a File System primitive failure when I launched my new image, but ignored it; I’m guessing that the comments disappear because they are only in the file system, whereas the code is in memory.  And for some reason I can’t access the sources file?  The changes file ahs been created as expected.
>>
>> I just tried downloading the VM manually, and running the “stable” image that I created, and this time got a different file system primitive failure on startup: #createDirectory in MacStore.
>>
>> What’s going on?  What’s the right way to get a working Pharo in the New World Order?
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>
>
>
> ____________________________
> Prof. Andrew P. Black
> Department of Computer Science
> Portland State University
> Oregon, USA
>
> http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~black
> Telephone: +1 503 725 2411
>
>
>
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where did all the Comments Go?

Paul DeBruicker
In reply to this post by Andrew Black-2
Hi Andrew-

If you use the scripts from

https://get.pharo.org (for 32 bit)

or

https://get.pharo.org/64 (for 64 bit)

to download a vm+image e.g.

curl https://get.pharo.org/64 | bash

Do you also have the disappearing comments issue?  I can't imagine it would
make a difference and that you'll still see the problem but it would be a
ten minute test at most.  


FWIW I can write and read class comments in Pharo 7 just fine, but don't use
and never load SmaCC.  

Could it be a problem with SmaCC + Pharo7?





--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where did all the Comments Go?

Marcus Denker-4
In reply to this post by Andrew Black-2
Hello,

This looks to me like a case where, due to some unknown reason, the image can not store the source in the .changes file.

I have no idea why this happens… but it would explain why the comments disappear (as the comments are only in the source stored in the .changes file).



> On 20 Sep 2019, at 23:59, Andrew Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My third attempt to post this ...
>
> I’m coming back to Pharo after not having used it for several months.  I’m pleased to see that Pharo 7 is now stable and that work has started on Pharo 8.
>
> I downloaded a new Pharo Launcher (the old one could no longer figure out which version of the VM to use), used the Launcher to create a Pharo 7.0 stable image, and started loading my packages into it from github.
>
> My attempt to install the baseline of my code failed when some initialization code could not get the definitionComment for my parser (which is written using SmaCC).  Normally, SmaCC stores one’s whole grammar _as a method comment_ in a method called definitionComment.   Oddly, this method was empty, even though the version on disk (in the file Grace-Parser.package/GraceParser.class/class/definitionComment.st) contained the comment, as I expected.
>
> Hoping to at least complete the installation of my code, I manually copied the comment from this file into Calypso and saved the method.  It looked fine, but as soon as I moved Calypso to another method, and then back again, the comment had disappeared.  I experimented with adding comments to other methods: they looked fine, and I could save the method, but if I moved to another method and then back, the comment had disappeared.
>
> Class comments have also disappeared.
>
> I don’t think that this is a Calypso problem, because the loading of code from git would not involve Calypso. Rather it is a code storage problem.  I saw a File System primitive failure when I launched my new image, but ignored it; I’m guessing that the comments disappear because they are only in the file system, whereas the code is in memory.  And for some reason I can’t access the sources file?  The changes file ahs been created as expected.
>
> I just tried downloading the VM manually, and running the “stable” image that I created, and this time got a different file system primitive failure on startup: #createDirectory in MacStore.
>
> What’s going on?  What’s the right way to get a working Pharo in the New World Order?
>
> Andrew
>
>