Where is the PBE VM?

Malcolm Macgregor
At http://www.pharo-project.org/home under "Get started now" is the link "Get the Pharo By Example book..." On downloading, the zip file does not contain the VM. Also, P1.4 VM (Windows) does not work with the PBE image.

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Damien Cassou
Hi Malcolm,

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Malcolm Macgregor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> At http://www.pharo-project.org/home under "Get started now" is the link "Get
> the Pharo By Example book..." On downloading, the zip file does not contain
> the VM. Also, P1.4 VM (Windows) does not work with the PBE image.

Are you talking about the zip file you can download from the PBE
website? I agree it does not include the VM and that's probably a
mistake because new VMs are not compatible with this old image. Could
you please try the following link and report success/failure?

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/31048/PBE-OneClick-1.1.app.zip

Thank you

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Malcolm Macgregor
Didn't quite work - the image launched but an "Error: Invalid utf8 input detected" ST dialog box was thrown up.

Why not ditch the PBE image and update the documentation to fit the latest image using PEB collaboractiv?

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Malcolm Macgregor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Didn't quite work - the image launched but an "Error: Invalid utf8 input
> detected" ST dialog box was thrown up.

what is your OS?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I recently made a PBE one-click. Try downloading from https://github.com/seandenigris/PBE-one-click/zipball/master and let us know... If it is working well, we should put that prominently on the PBE website, and discourage other methods of downloading... The current experience for new users seems very frustrating...

HTH,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Camillo Bruni-3
yes, we should have a single download click and run thing

- one click images
- PBE

but yeah, I am not much in favor of the PBE book... that is a
hell a lot of work to keep up to date.

A simple introduction to the basics of the system, that might make
sense. Otherwise we should write more example code and more class comments!!

We should clearly state that it works only for the very specific version!

On 2012-06-21, at 19:12, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> I recently made a PBE one-click. Try downloading from
> https://github.com/seandenigris/PBE-one-click/zipball/master and let us
> know... If it is working well, we should put that prominently on the PBE
> website, and discourage other methods of downloading... The current
> experience for new users seems very frustrating...
>
> HTH,
> Sean

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
I recently made a PBE one-click
It starts up on Win XP, Mac Lion, and Ubuntu 9.10 without error, but I've only played with it a bit while setting it up...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Camillo Bruni-3 wrote
but yeah, I am not much in favor of the PBE book... that is a
hell a lot of work to keep up to date... we should write more example code and more class comments!!
+100 for books in general. We need active essays! I've been working furiously on this and literate programming for Pharo. I've made a lot of progress, but often get bogged down in Morphic. I'm eager to see what Fernando comes up with as far as cleaning Morphic. I believe that if Morphic gets truly cleaned, we will see an explosion of creative new tools...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Dale Henrichs
along these lines is anyone working on a Markdown[1] formatter for Pharo?

I am probably notorious for missing class comments, but I am more motivated to write class comments if I can produce nicely formatted comments[2].

I am seriously considering including the "Metacello Scripting API doc"[3] as the class comment for the Metacello class, but you have to admit that [3] is more readable than [4].

BTW, Markdown isn't the only markup syntax[5]...supporting one of the many would be sufficient..

Dale

[1] http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax
[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/issue_10/repository/Metacello-Base.package/BaselineOf.class/README.md
[3] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/issue_10/docs/MetacelloScriptingAPI.md
[4] https://raw.github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/issue_10/docs/MetacelloScriptingAPI.md
[5] https://github.com/github/markup/blob/master/README.md
| > but yeah, I am not much in favor of the PBE book... that is a
| > hell a lot of work to keep up to date... we should write more
| > example code
| > and more class comments!!
| >

| +100 for books in general. We need active essays! I've been working
| furiously on this and literate programming for Pharo. I've made a lot
| of
| progress, but often get bogged down in Morphic. I'm eager to see what
| Fernando comes up with as far as cleaning Morphic. I believe that if
| Morphic
| gets truly cleaned, we will see an explosion of creative new tools...

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Dale Henrichs wrote
BTW, Markdown isn't the only markup syntax[5]...supporting one of the many would be sufficient..
Of course, my fantasy is a real rich text model and tools, with exporters for Markdown, etc...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

there is a markdown parser in petitparser made by damienP and CamilloB.
But I do not know the status

Stef

On Jun 21, 2012, at 7:59 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> along these lines is anyone working on a Markdown[1] formatter for Pharo?
>
> I am probably notorious for missing class comments, but I am more motivated to write class comments if I can produce nicely formatted comments[2].
>
> I am seriously considering including the "Metacello Scripting API doc"[3] as the class comment for the Metacello class, but you have to admit that [3] is more readable than [4].
>
> BTW, Markdown isn't the only markup syntax[5]...supporting one of the many would be sufficient..
>
> Dale
>
> [1] http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax
> [2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/issue_10/repository/Metacello-Base.package/BaselineOf.class/README.md
> [3] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/issue_10/docs/MetacelloScriptingAPI.md
> [4] https://raw.github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/issue_10/docs/MetacelloScriptingAPI.md
> [5] https://github.com/github/markup/blob/master/README.md

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Camillo Bruni-3
>> along these lines is anyone working on a Markdown[1] formatter for Pharo?

PetitMarkdown <http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/petitmarkdown.html>

Yes I patched the existing parser to be more or less useful.
but it was far from complete plus the old design did not really permit for the full markdown syntax :/

so damien started a new prototype which parses the basic blocks first and
then goes into details.

>> I am probably notorious for missing class comments, but I am more motivated to write class comments if I can produce nicely formatted comments[2].

so far igor used our old parser to create the NativeBoos documentation filled
with interactive links to methods and classes plus decent formatting for source
code and titles

>> I am seriously considering including the "Metacello Scripting API doc"[3] as the class comment for the Metacello class, but you have to admit that [3] is more readable than [4].

but it still reads fairly well even in the plain text format :)

>> BTW, Markdown isn't the only markup syntax[5]...supporting one of the many would be sufficient..

indeed, I am somehow torn towards MarkDown (totally arbitrary choice I guess).
Unless someone comes up with a very convincing argument I'd stick with markdown :)

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 21 Jun 2012, at 22:43, Camillo Bruni wrote:

>>> I am seriously considering including the "Metacello Scripting API doc"[3] as the class comment for the Metacello class, but you have to admit that [3] is more readable than [4].
>
> but it still reads fairly well even in the plain text format :)
>
>>> BTW, Markdown isn't the only markup syntax[5]...supporting one of the many would be sufficient..
>
> indeed, I am somehow torn towards MarkDown (totally arbitrary choice I guess).
> Unless someone comes up with a very convincing argument I'd stick with markdown :)

I love Markdown as well: it is very simple, it remains readable as source text and it renders well to HTML.

Sven

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Damien Cassou
Hi Sean,

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I recently made a PBE one-click.

how is your one-click different from the one I made and which is
accessible through http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/pbe/?

Best

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Damien Cassou wrote
how is your one-click different from the one I made and which is
accessible through http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/pbe/?

Maybe the solution is simply to pick one and make it the most prominent download link on the PBE web page, either demoting or entirely eliminating the image-only/latest-Pharo links

HTH,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Damien Cassou
On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Sean P. DeNigris
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe the solution is simply to pick one and make it the most prominent
> download link on the PBE web page, either demoting or entirely eliminating
> the image-only/latest-Pharo links

ok, pharobyexample.org now has a link to the one click image.

Best,

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks damien.

Stef

>> Maybe the solution is simply to pick one and make it the most prominent
>> download link on the PBE web page, either demoting or entirely eliminating
>> the image-only/latest-Pharo links
>
> ok, pharobyexample.org now has a link to the one click image.
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Ben Coman
Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I recently made a PBE one-click.
>>

> how is your one-click different from the one I made and which is
> accessible through http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/pbe/?
>
> Best

just curious... why are you not referencing to pharobyexample.org for PBE1?
Are these both mirrors that are kept in synch ?

Re: Where is the PBE VM?

Damien Cassou
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> just curious... why are you not referencing to pharobyexample.org for PBE1?
> Are these both mirrors that are kept in synch ?

- http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/pbe/ is the new host for the website
- http://www.pharobyexample.org currently points to the old host for
the website (but with currently identical data). We are in the process
of redirecting pharobyexample.org to the new host