Where is the last version of PBE ?

12

Where is the last version of PBE ?

SergeStinckwich
Hi all,

i'm a bit confused, where is the last version of PBE ? in github or
you switch back to svn ?

Oscar, can you put a link from the front page of Pharo by Example to
the french edition available here: http://pharobyexample.org/fr/

Thank you.
Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

Noury Bouraqadi-2
https://scm.gforge.inria.fr/svn/pharobooks

On 21 nov. 2011, at 02:28, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i'm a bit confused, where is the last version of PBE ? in github or
> you switch back to svn ?
>
> Oscar, can you put a link from the front page of Pharo by Example to
> the french edition available here: http://pharobyexample.org/fr/
>
> Thank you.
> Regards,
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
> http://www.mechatronics.me.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Noury
--
http://twitter.com/#!/NouryBouraqadi

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

SergeStinckwich
ok thank you Noury.
Maybe someone need to remove the github version because some people
are still publishing pull requests.

Regards,

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://scm.gforge.inria.fr/svn/pharobooks
>
> On 21 nov. 2011, at 02:28, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> i'm a bit confused, where is the last version of PBE ? in github or
>> you switch back to svn ?
>>
>> Oscar, can you put a link from the front page of Pharo by Example to
>> the french edition available here: http://pharobyexample.org/fr/
>>
>> Thank you.
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>> Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
>> http://www.mechatronics.me.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/
>
> Noury
> --
> http://twitter.com/#!/NouryBouraqadi

Serge Stinckwich
Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
http://www.mechatronics.me.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:58:14 +0900,
Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> ok thank you Noury.
> Maybe someone need to remove the github version because some people
> are still publishing pull requests.

  Wow.  This is totally news to me.  I suspect that the part we are
translating has not changed much, but when did that switch even happened?

-- Yoshiki

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

Oscar Nierstrasz

I think it is a mistake to remove the github version just because one person has problems using git.

Oscar

---
Prof. Dr. O. Nierstrasz    -- [hidden email]
Software Composition Group -- http://scg.unibe.ch/oscar
University of Bern         -- Tel/Fax +41 31 631.4618/3355

On Nov 21, 2011, at 19:03, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:58:14 +0900,
> Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>>
>> ok thank you Noury.
>> Maybe someone need to remove the github version because some people
>> are still publishing pull requests.
>
>  Wow.  This is totally news to me.  I suspect that the part we are
> translating has not changed much, but when did that switch even happened?
>
> -- Yoshiki

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

stephane ducasse
pharobooks only contain the new books.

        PharoByExampleTwo-Eng/
        PharoForTheEnterprise-Eng/
        PharoVM-Eng/

I did not move the pharo by example one book.
One of these books is published we may push it to git for translators.
I think that git may be easier for translators.

>> i'm a bit confused, where is the last version of PBE ? in github or
>> you switch back to svn ?

I moved the PBE2 because I could not work with git. Now Pharo by example is still at the place it was used to be.
Since I do not know how to close PBE2 on GIT I did not but if somebody knowledgeable could do it this would be good.
I'm sorry that I moved to svn but I do not have the energy to deal with the complexity of git and its wonderful user interface.
Stef

>> Oscar, can you put a link from the front page of Pharo by Example to
>> the french edition available here: http://pharobyexample.org/fr/
>>
>> Thank you.
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>> Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
>> http://www.mechatronics.me.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/
>
> Noury
> --
> http://twitter.com/#!/NouryBouraqadi

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

stephane ducasse

> I think it is a mistake to remove the github version just because one person has problems using git.

This was not PBE only PBE2.
Now since this person is me, let us face it clearly. I wrote a lot and git got really on my way. I
could not work with it.
I can work well with svn and people have access to all the chapters of PBE2. So the net results is that
we can all work.

Now what were the alternatives:
        - 1 I stopped writing? May be I should at the end.
        - 2 I would love to be able to read cool chapters, but so far I do not see a full and steady effort
        from the community to do anything in that direction when I'm not committed and pushing.

Stef

> Oscar
>
> ---
> Prof. Dr. O. Nierstrasz    -- [hidden email]
> Software Composition Group -- http://scg.unibe.ch/oscar
> University of Bern         -- Tel/Fax +41 31 631.4618/3355
>

> On Nov 21, 2011, at 19:03, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> At Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:58:14 +0900,
>> Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>>>
>>> ok thank you Noury.
>>> Maybe someone need to remove the github version because some people
>>> are still publishing pull requests.
>>
>> Wow.  This is totally news to me.  I suspect that the part we are
>> translating has not changed much, but when did that switch even happened?
>>
>> -- Yoshiki

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

Prof. Andrew P. Black

On 21 Nov 2011, at 11:10 , Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:

> I think it is a mistake to remove the github version just because one person has problems using git.

Personally, I don't think that it was a mistake to move from git back to svn.  I've used both, and find svn simpler and more appropriate for our task — creating a single coherent book.  Git may well be better for other tasks, such as maintaining a family of forks of related software artifacts.

However, mistake or not, we made the move back to svn, and anyone wanting to contribute to PBE2 needs to know that, and to share the single repository.  Having two repositories will just lead to confusion, as it has here.

I think that the repository on git should be removed, or replaced by a README file that says to go to https:/scm.gforge.inria.fr/svn/pharobooks/PharoByExampleTwo-Eng/

        Andrew

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Andrew P. Black <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 21 Nov 2011, at 11:10 , Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:

> I think it is a mistake to remove the github version just because one person has problems using git.

Personally, I don't think that it was a mistake to move from git back to svn.  I've used both, and find svn simpler and more appropriate for our task — creating a single coherent book.  Git may well be better for other tasks, such as maintaining a family of forks of related software artifacts.

+1

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

stephane ducasse
I was sad that the technology alienates me that hard. I like the concept of git and of pull requests, because it favors cherry picking.
But I ***could*** not work with this system. Sometimes I lost 40 min to not even be able to see a change.
So I just need something that is optimized for the tasks in 95% of the case and not the inverse.

I'm fixing the read me. now.

Stef

>> I think it is a mistake to remove the github version just because one person has problems using git.
>>

> Personally, I don't think that it was a mistake to move from git back to svn.  I've used both, and find svn simpler and more appropriate for our task — creating a single coherent book.  Git may well be better for other tasks, such as maintaining a family of forks of related software artifacts.
>
> However, mistake or not, we made the move back to svn, and anyone wanting to contribute to PBE2 needs to know that, and to share the single repository.  Having two repositories will just lead to confusion, as it has here.
>
> I think that the repository on git should be removed, or replaced by a README file that says to go to https:/scm.gforge.inria.fr/svn/pharobooks/PharoByExampleTwo-Eng/
>
> Andrew

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

SergeStinckwich
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 6:10 AM, stephane ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was sad that the technology alienates me that hard. I like the concept of git and of pull requests, because it favors cherry picking.
> But I ***could*** not work with this system. Sometimes I lost 40 min to not even be able to see a change.
> So I just need something that is optimized for the tasks in 95% of the case and not the inverse.

I don't have any serious problems using git until now, but maybe i'm
using it in quite simple scenario.

> I'm fixing the read me. now.

I move the warning section on the top, so the people see it more clearly.

The problem is that the INRIA svn is closed, so the number of people
who can contribute is really limited.
Maybe this is less a problem for the original version of PBE than the
translations.

Is it possible something like a sync between the svn and the git repositories ?
Who is managing the pull requests ?

Best regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
http://www.mechatronics.me.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

SergeStinckwich
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Serge Stinckwich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 6:10 AM, stephane ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was sad that the technology alienates me that hard. I like the concept of git and of pull requests, because it favors cherry picking.
>> But I ***could*** not work with this system. Sometimes I lost 40 min to not even be able to see a change.
>> So I just need something that is optimized for the tasks in 95% of the case and not the inverse.
>
> I don't have any serious problems using git until now, but maybe i'm
> using it in quite simple scenario.
>
>> I'm fixing the read me. now.
>
> I move the warning section on the top, so the people see it more clearly.
>
> The problem is that the INRIA svn is closed, so the number of people
> who can contribute is really limited.
> Maybe this is less a problem for the original version of PBE than the
> translations.
>
> Is it possible something like a sync between the svn and the git repositories ?
> Who is managing the pull requests ?

I decide to merge the pull requests of Yoshiki:
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-english/pull/11
and some light modifications proposed by Henrik Johansen:
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-english/pull/7

There is one pull request left: a new draft chapter about DBXTalk :
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-english/pull/8

As this is something new, maybe this one should be incorporated in PBE2 ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
http://www.mechatronics.me.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

stephane ducasse

>>> I was sad that the technology alienates me that hard. I like the concept of git and of pull requests, because it favors cherry picking.
>>> But I ***could*** not work with this system. Sometimes I lost 40 min to not even be able to see a change.
>>> So I just need something that is optimized for the tasks in 95% of the case and not the inverse.
>>
>> I don't have any serious problems using git until now, but maybe i'm
>> using it in quite simple scenario.
>>
>>> I'm fixing the read me. now.
>>
>> I move the warning section on the top, so the people see it more clearly.
>>
>> The problem is that the INRIA svn is closed, so the number of people
>> who can contribute is really limited.
>> Maybe this is less a problem for the original version of PBE than the
>> translations.
>>
>> Is it possible something like a sync between the svn and the git repositories ?
>> Who is managing the pull requests ?

Not me I have no idea.

> I decide to merge the pull requests of Yoshiki:
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-english/pull/11
> and some light modifications proposed by Henrik Johansen:
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-english/pull/7

Ok I will have to check then.

> There is one pull request left: a new draft chapter about DBXTalk :
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-english/pull/8

Yes we should move it to svn

> As this is something new, maybe this one should be incorporated in PBE2 ?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
> http://www.mechatronics.me.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

damien.pollet
On Nov 21, 2011, at 20:37, Andrew P. Black wrote:

> However, mistake or not, we made the move back to svn, and anyone wanting to contribute to PBE2 needs to know that, and to share the single repository.  Having two repositories will just lead to confusion, as it has here.

I've seen that github have implemented support for SVN. I think it's pretty complete but I need to check. If yes, that would allow a single repo, and people can access it with svn or git as they wish.

--
Damien Pollet

Yes here: https://github.com/blog/966-improved-subversion-client-support

--
Serge Stinckwich
Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
http://www.mechatronics.me.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

Oscar Nierstrasz

Amazing!

on

On Nov 22, 2011, at 14:32 , Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Nov 21, 2011, at 20:37, Andrew P. Black wrote:
>>
>>> However, mistake or not, we made the move back to svn, and anyone wanting to contribute to PBE2 needs to know that, and to share the single repository.  Having two repositories will just lead to confusion, as it has here.
>>
>> I've seen that github have implemented support for SVN. I think it's pretty complete but I need to check. If yes, that would allow a single repo, and people can access it with svn or git as they wish.
>
> Yes here: https://github.com/blog/966-improved-subversion-client-support
>
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
> http://www.mechatronics.me.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Oscar Nierstrasz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Amazing!

yes, but look at the last comment on the page. As soon as this is
fixed, if it works well, and if Stéph is ok, I will migrate to github
again.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

bprior
Hi Andrew,

I tried to access the link you provided, but it is closed (needs a
password). Perhaps some of us could contribute to the editing of PBE2 if
we could see it.

Bruce Prior

On 22 Nov 2011, at 09:41 , Bruce Prior wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I tried to access the link you provided, but it is closed (needs a password). Perhaps some of us could contribute to the editing of PBE2 if we could see it.
>
> Bruce Prior

There is a page to apply for an account, as there is with github.  It's at https://gforge.inria.fr/.  The name of the project is pharobooks.

One of the questions on the account creation form is:  "Name of the Inria research team you are working with or in".  I'm not sure if one types "Pharobooks" here, or something else.  Stéph?

        Andrew

Re: Where is the last version of PBE ?

stephane ducasse
RMOD
Normally I wrote it in the read me.

Stef

On Nov 22, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Damien Pollet wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2011, at 20:37, Andrew P. Black wrote:
>
>> However, mistake or not, we made the move back to svn, and anyone wanting to contribute to PBE2 needs to know that, and to share the single repository.  Having two repositories will just lead to confusion, as it has here.
>
> I've seen that github have implemented support for SVN. I think it's pretty complete but I need to check. If yes, that would allow a single repo, and people can access it with svn or git as they wish.
>
> --
> Damien Pollet
> type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

12