Where is the setup for msvcr100.dll ?

Vincent Lesbros-2
in the doc I can read :

Packaging for Distribution

On Windows, the VM requires that msvcr.dll be installed in its
proper location (System32 or SysWOW64). You are responsible to
ensure that this file is present on the target system.

---
in fact with my version 7.9.1, this is the msvcr100.dll needed.

My question is, what tool sould I use to find the good version of the
msvcr100.dll and install it in it's proper place on the distribution
machines,
(which have different version of system),
without enter in the dll hell ?

In the installation disk of VisualWorks, there are directories :

D:\vw7.9.1pul\bin\win
and
D:\vw7.9.1pul\bin\win64

containing  the msvcr100.dll

And the setup program install them correctly and enable a
uninstallation - so this program exists -

Could we have a setup program that install/remove theses dll ?
Why the "You are responsible to
ensure that this file is present on the target system." ?

Re: Where is the setup for msvcr100.dll ?

Dennis smith-4
I just put it in the current bin folder I am executing visual.exe (or
vwnt.exe) from -- that got around finding the correct place
on multiple systems.  It also only applies to VW so if there is already
one of a different version on the PC it won't affect other things.

In my case I put it in
     c:\Visual\bin\win

On 2013-03-31 3:16 PM, Vincent Lesbros wrote:

> in the doc I can read :
>
> Packaging for Distribution
>
> On Windows, the VM requires that msvcr.dll be installed in its
> proper location (System32 or SysWOW64). You are responsible to
> ensure that this file is present on the target system.
>
> ---
> in fact with my version 7.9.1, this is the msvcr100.dll needed.
>
> My question is, what tool sould I use to find the good version of the
> msvcr100.dll and install it in it's proper place on the distribution
> machines,
> (which have different version of system),
> without enter in the dll hell ?
>
> In the installation disk of VisualWorks, there are directories :
>
> D:\vw7.9.1pul\bin\win
> and
> D:\vw7.9.1pul\bin\win64
>
> containing  the msvcr100.dll
>
> And the setup program install them correctly and enable a
> uninstallation - so this program exists -
>
> Could we have a setup program that install/remove theses dll ?
> Why the "You are responsible to
> ensure that this file is present on the target system." ?

Dennis Smith                                  +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:[hidden email]
Canada                     http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: Where is the setup for msvcr100.dll ?

Andres Valloud-6
Users should take care of msvcr100.dll because that is Microsoft's
policy for that file.  This is a change from previous policy, and it's
outside of our control.  We recommend that users follow Microsoft's
policy in this regard and install the msvcr100.dll redistributable,
which will then be updated regularly with Windows Update as Microsoft
deems appropriate.  For those folks that need single file deployment,
starting with the next release we will provide a statically linked VM
for this specific purpose.  Generally speaking though, we think it's
better to follow Microsoft's policy.

On 3/31/13 12:16 PM, Vincent Lesbros wrote:

> in the doc I can read :
>
> Packaging for Distribution
>
> On Windows, the VM requires that msvcr.dll be installed in its
> proper location (System32 or SysWOW64). You are responsible to
> ensure that this file is present on the target system.
>
> ---
> in fact with my version 7.9.1, this is the msvcr100.dll needed.
>
> My question is, what tool sould I use to find the good version of the
> msvcr100.dll and install it in it's proper place on the distribution
> machines,
> (which have different version of system),
> without enter in the dll hell ?
>
> In the installation disk of VisualWorks, there are directories :
>
> D:\vw7.9.1pul\bin\win
> and
> D:\vw7.9.1pul\bin\win64
>
> containing  the msvcr100.dll
>
> And the setup program install them correctly and enable a
> uninstallation - so this program exists -
>
> Could we have a setup program that install/remove theses dll ?
> Why the "You are responsible to
> ensure that this file is present on the target system." ?

Re: Where is the setup for msvcr100.dll ?

Grinnell, Mark
To get that redistributable package from Microsoft, go to the
"Downloads" section of www.microsoft.com and search for
        Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
(or
        Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)
if you are deploying with the 64 bit version of VisualWorks)
and download and install it.

The VisualWorks and ObjectStudio installers do this for you, but
following the steps above is a good way to take care of the problem on
machines where you are distributing your own application written in
Cincom Smalltalk.

Users should take care of msvcr100.dll because that is Microsoft's
policy for that file.  This is a change from previous policy, and it's
outside of our control.  We recommend that users follow Microsoft's
policy in this regard and install the msvcr100.dll redistributable,
which will then be updated regularly with Windows Update as Microsoft
deems appropriate.  For those folks that need single file deployment,
starting with the next release we will provide a statically linked VM
for this specific purpose.  Generally speaking though, we think it's
better to follow Microsoft's policy.

On 3/31/13 12:16 PM, Vincent Lesbros wrote:

> in the doc I can read :
>
> Packaging for Distribution
>
> On Windows, the VM requires that msvcr.dll be installed in its proper
> location (System32 or SysWOW64). You are responsible to ensure that
> this file is present on the target system.
>
> ---
> in fact with my version 7.9.1, this is the msvcr100.dll needed.
>
> My question is, what tool sould I use to find the good version of the
> msvcr100.dll and install it in it's proper place on the distribution
> machines, (which have different version of system), without enter in
> the dll hell ?
>
> In the installation disk of VisualWorks, there are directories :
>
> D:\vw7.9.1pul\bin\win
> and
> D:\vw7.9.1pul\bin\win64
>
> containing  the msvcr100.dll
>
> And the setup program install them correctly and enable a
> uninstallation - so this program exists -
>
> Could we have a setup program that install/remove theses dll ?
> Why the "You are responsible to
> ensure that this file is present on the target system." ?

Re: Where is the setup for msvcr100.dll ?

Vincent Lesbros-2
Yes, Thanks,
I found theses links :

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14632

2013/4/2 Grinnell, Mark <[hidden email]>:

> To get that redistributable package from Microsoft, go to the
> "Downloads" section of www.microsoft.com and search for
>         Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
> (or
>         Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)
> if you are deploying with the 64 bit version of VisualWorks)
> and download and install it.
>
> The VisualWorks and ObjectStudio installers do this for you, but
> following the steps above is a good way to take care of the problem on
> machines where you are distributing your own application written in
> Cincom Smalltalk.

Niall Ross
Dear Dennis et al,

> I just put it in the current bin folder I am executing visual.exe (or
> vwnt.exe) from -- that got around finding the correct place
> on multiple systems.  It also only applies to VW so if there is
> already one of a different version on the PC it won't affect other things.

According to Microsoft, if the system has an msvcr100.dll installed in
the standard location then an msvcr100.dll in the local bin will be
redirected to that standard one, assumed to be the correct and latest
for the machine.  Only if it is absent will the local bin one be used.
The intent appears to be that installing in bin guarantees it will work,
even in the absence of a system-installed one, while not conflicting
with the system-installed one when present.  The relevant Microsoft team
guarantees b/w compatibility (save if a major security hole were
discovered), so this approach should always work.

As Andres remarks, in 7.10, you can revert to one-file installation by
using the static VM if you need to.  (As he also remarks, this is us
dealing with Microsoft policies that are not in our control.)

             Yours faithfully
                   Niall Ross

> In my case I put it in
>     c:\Visual\bin\win
>

> On 2013-03-31 3:16 PM, Vincent Lesbros wrote:
>
>> in the doc I can read :
>>
>> Packaging for Distribution
>>
>> On Windows, the VM requires that msvcr.dll be installed in its
>> proper location (System32 or SysWOW64). You are responsible to
>> ensure that this file is present on the target system.
>>
>> ---
>> in fact with my version 7.9.1, this is the msvcr100.dll needed.
>>
>> My question is, what tool sould I use to find the good version of the
>> msvcr100.dll and install it in it's proper place on the distribution
>> machines,
>> (which have different version of system),
>> without enter in the dll hell ?
>>
>> In the installation disk of VisualWorks, there are directories :
>>
>> D:\vw7.9.1pul\bin\win
>> and
>> D:\vw7.9.1pul\bin\win64
>>
>> containing  the msvcr100.dll
>>
>> And the setup program install them correctly and enable a
>> uninstallation - so this program exists -
>>
>> Could we have a setup program that install/remove theses dll ?
>> Why the "You are responsible to
>> ensure that this file is present on the target system." ?

Re: Building the single EXE with VW7.9.1

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Hello All,

Is it possible to package the image as single EXE file with the VW 7.9.1
on Windows?

I tried to use the same routine that we used for the versions  7.4, 7.6
and 7.7.1.

Should I do something different ? The resulting EXE file comes back to
me with the message -- can not find the image file.

Does anyone have any idea?

Any information on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark Pirogovsky

Re: Building the single EXE with VW7.9.1

Mark Plas
Hello Mark,

This is what I use to pack an image into a .exe for vw7.9.1 (and 7.7, 7.6, 7.4.1):

        ResHacker.exe -addoverwrite c:\vw\vw7.9.1\bin\win\visual.exe, TheNameOfYourApp.exe, c:\myFolder\TheImage.im, 332, 332,

And it works for me.

Re: Building the single EXE with VW7.9.1

Mark Plas
[forwarding email from Vincent Lesbros]

I am under Windows 7 64b, and for a 32 bit image VW 7.9.1, I use the following .bat :

ResHacker -addoverwrite visual.exe, runBouzin59g.exe, runBouzin59g.im, 332,332, ResHacker -addoverwrite runBouzin59g.exe, runBouzin59g.exe, Bouzin2.ico, icon,323,1 ResHacker -addoverwrite runBouzin59g.exe, runBouzin59g.exe, SplatchScreen59g.bmp, bitmap,324,

I copy the visual.exe in the same directory that the ResHacker, and name the exe file with the same name than the image.

It is working fine.

2013/4/9 Mark Plas <[hidden email]>:

> Hello Mark,
>
> This is what I use to pack an image into a .exe for vw7.9.1 (and 7.7, 7.6, 7.4.1):
>
>         ResHacker.exe -addoverwrite c:\vw\vw7.9.1\bin\win\visual.exe,
> TheNameOfYourApp.exe, c:\myFolder\TheImage.im, 332, 332,
>
> And it works for me.

Thanks Mark,

I did use similar batch files, and it did produce EXEs which did not
start.  After I rebooted my build PC ( Win 7 - 32bit)  it started
working again.  Go Figure...

Note:

I do compress the images by using imageCompress.exe before packing them
into the EXE

Regards,

--Mark

Mark Plas wrote:

> Hello Mark,
>
> This is what I use to pack an image into a .exe for vw7.9.1 (and 7.7, 7.6, 7.4.1):
>
> ResHacker.exe -addoverwrite c:\vw\vw7.9.1\bin\win\visual.exe, TheNameOfYourApp.exe, c:\myFolder\TheImage.im, 332, 332,
>
> And it works for me.

Regarding compressing the images, on Windows you can get far better
results size-wise by adding an uncompressed image resource and then
using UPX.  If you use UPX' LZMA packer, it's very likely that exe+image
will result in an exe smaller than a zip file of just the image...

On 4/9/13 5:48 AM, Mark Pirogovsky wrote:

> Thanks Mark,
>

> I did use similar batch files, and it did produce EXEs which did not
> start.  After I rebooted my build PC ( Win 7 - 32bit)  it started
> working again.  Go Figure...
>
> Note:
>
> I do compress the images by using imageCompress.exe before packing them
> into the EXE
>
> Regards,
>
> --Mark
>
> Mark Plas wrote:
>> Hello Mark,
>>
>> This is what I use to pack an image into a .exe for vw7.9.1 (and 7.7,
>> 7.6, 7.4.1):
>>
>>     ResHacker.exe -addoverwrite c:\vw\vw7.9.1\bin\win\visual.exe,
>> TheNameOfYourApp.exe, c:\myFolder\TheImage.im, 332, 332,
>>
>> And it works for me.

Holger Kleinsorgen
There is a higher risk of Anti virus software detecting false positives when using UPX.
Andres Valloud-6 wrote
Regarding compressing the images, on Windows you can get far better
results size-wise by adding an uncompressed image resource and then
using UPX.  If you use UPX' LZMA packer, it's very likely that exe+image
will result in an exe smaller than a zip file of just the image...

Re: Building the single EXE with VW7.9.1

Steven Kelly
I find I have to redo about one in ten ResHacker attempts, as the
resulting file doesn't have the right icon / manifest / resource file.
We build using a batch file with several ResHacker calls, and my guess
is that some operations find the partially built .exe file still locked
by the previous ResHacker operation. Maybe in your case one of the files
had got stuck in some kind of lock, which was released on reboot.

We also use PellesC's porc.exe to compile .rc->.res to be included by
ResHacker as the version info resource.

BTW, you should first remove the Cincom signature from visual.exe - ask
support for DeleteSignature.exe (Res96328). Otherwise you have a corrupt
or at best invalid signature, which is more suspicious than no signature
at all. We eventually bought a code signing signature from
http://codesigning.ksoftware.net (5yrs $330), as browsers were summarily
condemning unsigned files as malware:
www.metacase.com/blogs/stevek/blogView?entry=3507822463&showComments=tru

All the best,