Where is there a working Squeak VM?

Chris Muller-3
Is there a downloadable _Squeak_ VM that can run the latest trunk
image?  If so, where I can download it?

I'm out of town, using my old (Windows) computer with only the old
Squeak VM installed.  I needed to boot up a recent closures Squeak
image but of course I couldn't.

So I found myself going out to the _Pharo_ download page to download a
VM to run Squeak.  I then had to rename the Windows executable from
pharo.exe to squeak.exe since that's how my file-associations are set
up.  Oh, and the Pharo splash page is used unless you take care to
keep the old splash bmp.

Frankly, this is all seriously cheesey.  Please, if we haven't
already, can we make available a separately downloadable VM for
*Squeak*.  I would even suggest that we make it downloadable from
squeak.org.  Who is in charge of this?

Regards,
  Chris

Re: Where is there a working Squeak VM?

Ken G. Brown
This looks like it: <http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/>

Accessed from <http://www.squeak.org/> -> Links->SqueakVM.

Ken G. Brown

At 11:36 PM -0600 2/24/10, Chris Muller apparently wrote:

>Is there a downloadable _Squeak_ VM that can run the latest trunk
>image?  If so, where I can download it?
>
>I'm out of town, using my old (Windows) computer with only the old
>Squeak VM installed.  I needed to boot up a recent closures Squeak
>image but of course I couldn't.
>
>So I found myself going out to the _Pharo_ download page to download a
>VM to run Squeak.  I then had to rename the Windows executable from
>pharo.exe to squeak.exe since that's how my file-associations are set
>up.  Oh, and the Pharo splash page is used unless you take care to
>keep the old splash bmp.
>
>Frankly, this is all seriously cheesey.  Please, if we haven't
>already, can we make available a separately downloadable VM for
>*Squeak*.  I would even suggest that we make it downloadable from
>squeak.org.  Who is in charge of this?
>
>Regards,
>  Chris

Re: Where is there a working Squeak VM?

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:26:12PM -0700, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> At 11:36 PM -0600 2/24/10, Chris Muller apparently wrote:
> >Is there a downloadable _Squeak_ VM that can run the latest trunk
> >image?  If so, where I can download it?
>
> This looks like it: <http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/>
>
> Accessed from <http://www.squeak.org/> -> Links->SqueakVM.

Right. Note also that www.squeakvm.org always has the latest VM
distributions, as well as links to the source code respository
(Subversion) for the VM, and information on 64 bit VMs and images.
It does lack links to John's MAC VMs, I guess that needs to be
fixed.

> >I'm out of town, using my old (Windows) computer with only the old
> >Squeak VM installed.  I needed to boot up a recent closures Squeak
> >image but of course I couldn't.
> >
> >So I found myself going out to the _Pharo_ download page to download a
> >VM to run Squeak.  I then had to rename the Windows executable from
> >pharo.exe to squeak.exe since that's how my file-associations are set
> >up.  Oh, and the Pharo splash page is used unless you take care to
> >keep the old splash bmp.

As far as I know, there is no difference between a "Pharo VM" and
a "Squeak VM" aside from the packaging and the inclusion of the
FreeType plugin for Pharo. There is also interest in supporting
the Alien FFI for Pharo, so whenever that gets sorted out for the
unix platforms, we'll presumably want to include it in future
Squeak VMs.

> >Frankly, this is all seriously cheesey.  Please, if we haven't
> >already, can we make available a separately downloadable VM for
> >*Squeak*.  I would even suggest that we make it downloadable from
> >squeak.org.  Who is in charge of this?

It sounds like we need clearer links from squeak.org to the relevant
VM pages. We have a Squeak 4.0 release right around the corner, and
that's probably the right time to do the updates.

Dave

Re: Where is there a working Squeak VM?

Chris Cunnington

David T. Lewis said:
It sounds like we need clearer links from squeak.org to the relevant
VM pages. We have a Squeak 4.0 release right around the corner, and
that's probably the right time to do the updates.

Ken has changed the squeak.org homepage to announce the impending Squeak 4.0 license. The links to the VMs for Squeak are in two places AFAIK. The first is on the homepage in a links box on the left. A second is if you go to the Other Downloads page, you can find a link there. Neither of them suggest to me their importance very well. I have webmaster access to squeak.org. Do people like the existing links to the VM downloads, and if not, then where would they a like a link? It seems to me a single location pointing both to John's Mac VMs and the squeakvm.org VMs is required.
Chris

(Chuck Norris could kick Bruce Schneier's ass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLO1YIWQuXE )

Re: Where is there a working Squeak VM?

David T. Lewis
(cc to vm-dev list)

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 02:13:59PM -0500, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> Chris Muller said:
>
> >* >Frankly, this is all seriously cheesey.  Please, if we haven't*>* >already, can we make available a separately downloadable VM for*>* >*Squeak*.  I would even suggest that we make it downloadable from*>* >squeak.org.  Who is in charge of this?*
>
> *David T. Lewis said: *It sounds like we need clearer links from
> squeak.org to the relevant
> VM pages. We have a Squeak 4.0 release right around the corner, and
> that's probably the right time to do the updates.
>

> Ken has changed the squeak.org homepage to announce the impending
> Squeak 4.0 license. The links to the VMs for Squeak are in two places
> AFAIK. The first is on the homepage in a links box on the left. A
> second is if you go to the Other Downloads page, you can find a link
> there. Neither of them suggest to me their importance very well. I
> have webmaster access to squeak.org. Do people like the existing links
> to the VM downloads, and if not, then where would they a like a link?
> It seems to me a single location pointing both to John's Mac VMs and
> the squeakvm.org VMs is required.

Chris,

Thank you for looking into this.

At this point, I think that squeak.org should point users in the
direction of VMs that are closure enabled (usable for Squeak trunk,
Pharo, and the upcoming Squeak 4.+ images) and that will support
older images back to at least Squeak 3.8. That means that it should
now point to the most recent Windows and Unix VMs from squeakvm.org,
and the equivalent OS X VM from John's site.

John McIntosh: We should make your Mac and iPhone VMs clearly visible
from squeakvm.org, similar to the Windows and Unix VMs. If you agree,
can you please help me with some intro text and the proper links
to your servers (I have access to the the squeakvm.org box if
you don't currently have it). And for Chris' benefit can you please
provide the correct link for a Mac VM suitable for Squeak 3.8 through
Pharo/Squeak trunk current.

Thanks!

Dave

Re: Where is there a working Squeak VM?

johnmci
Well squeakvm.org is a privately run site I don't have access to it, otherwise I'd toss all my stuff on it.

On 2010-02-25, at 6:11 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> John McIntosh: We should make your Mac and iPhone VMs clearly visible
> from squeakvm.org, similar to the Windows and Unix VMs. If you agree,
> can you please help me with some intro text and the proper links
> to your servers (I have access to the the squeakvm.org box if
> you don't currently have it). And for Chris' benefit can you please
> provide the correct link for a Mac VM suitable for Squeak 3.8 through
> Pharo/Squeak trunk current.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dave

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: Where is there a working Squeak VM?

Chris Muller-3
Excellent, thanks for setting me straight.  From squeak.org, I had
gone to the "download" link in my search for the VM.  I hadn't noticed
the Links section with Squeak VM section.

My only suggestion would be that we try to co-locate all of the files
necessary for a running system, whether that be
http://squeak.org/Download/ under the heading "Virtual Machine", or
under "Latest Development" (which would be from the ftp.squeak.org
site) or squeakvm.org.

Thanks again,  Chris

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:37 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:26:12PM -0700, Ken G. Brown wrote:
>>
>> At 11:36 PM -0600 2/24/10, Chris Muller apparently wrote:
>> >Is there a downloadable _Squeak_ VM that can run the latest trunk
>> >image?  If so, where I can download it?
>>
>> This looks like it: <http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/>
>>
>> Accessed from <http://www.squeak.org/> -> Links->SqueakVM.
>
> Right. Note also that www.squeakvm.org always has the latest VM
> distributions, as well as links to the source code respository
> (Subversion) for the VM, and information on 64 bit VMs and images.
> It does lack links to John's MAC VMs, I guess that needs to be
> fixed.
>
>> >I'm out of town, using my old (Windows) computer with only the old
>> >Squeak VM installed.  I needed to boot up a recent closures Squeak
>> >image but of course I couldn't.
>> >
>> >So I found myself going out to the _Pharo_ download page to download a
>> >VM to run Squeak.  I then had to rename the Windows executable from
>> >pharo.exe to squeak.exe since that's how my file-associations are set
>> >up.  Oh, and the Pharo splash page is used unless you take care to
>> >keep the old splash bmp.
>
> As far as I know, there is no difference between a "Pharo VM" and
> a "Squeak VM" aside from the packaging and the inclusion of the
> FreeType plugin for Pharo. There is also interest in supporting
> the Alien FFI for Pharo, so whenever that gets sorted out for the
> unix platforms, we'll presumably want to include it in future
> Squeak VMs.
>
>> >Frankly, this is all seriously cheesey.  Please, if we haven't
>> >already, can we make available a separately downloadable VM for
>> >*Squeak*.  I would even suggest that we make it downloadable from
>> >squeak.org.  Who is in charge of this?
>
> It sounds like we need clearer links from squeak.org to the relevant
> VM pages. We have a Squeak 4.0 release right around the corner, and
> that's probably the right time to do the updates.
>
> Dave

Re: Where is there a working Squeak VM?

johnmci
Ok, well I'm likely twitchy from our government's adrenaline run for Olympic metals, must be the women's hockey game today.
So my in-box filled up with resolutions to the issue, thus on friday I'm moving material to the squeakvm.org.

I note I will also be moving the material from the iSqueak.org tree once we can figure out how to split the iPhone and OSX implementations
since they share a common code base.

On 2010-02-25, at 8:14 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Well squeakvm.org is a privately run site I don't have access to it, otherwise I'd toss all my stuff on it.
>
> On 2010-02-25, at 6:11 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
>> John McIntosh: We should make your Mac and iPhone VMs clearly visible
>> from squeakvm.org, similar to the Windows and Unix VMs. If you agree,
>> can you please help me with some intro text and the proper links
>> to your servers (I have access to the the squeakvm.org box if
>> you don't currently have it). And for Chris' benefit can you please
>> provide the correct link for a Mac VM suitable for Squeak 3.8 through
>> Pharo/Squeak trunk current.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Dave

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: Where is there a working Squeak VM?

K. K. Subramaniam
On Friday 26 February 2010 10:27:16 am Chris Muller wrote:
> My only suggestion would be that we try to co-locate all of the files
> necessary for a running system, whether that be
> http://squeak.org/Download/ under the heading "Virtual Machine", or
> under "Latest Development" (which would be from the ftp.squeak.org
> site) or squeakvm.org.
This is a good suggestion. The VM binaries are small compared to the image
that one could bundle Linux+Mac+Win32 binaries together for a true multi-
platform experience.

I prefer the Etoys-To-Go model of combining the image and all three VMs and
plugins into a portable tree that can be run either installed on a machine or
launched off a removable volume.

Subbu

Re: Where is there a working Squeak VM?

Stéphane Rollandin

 > I prefer the Etoys-To-Go model of combining the image and all three
VMs and
> plugins into a portable tree that can be run either installed on a machine or
> launched off a removable volume.

+1

Re: Where is there a working Squeak VM?

Chris Cunnington
Sorry I didn't get to this earlier in the day. Other stuff.

Chris M. couldn't find the right VM. He looked on the downloads page, and didn't find the SqueakVM link on the homepage. I think that means I should go through those 15 odd VM links on the downloads page and point them to the right VMs if I can. I imagine we want all the links to point to the full closure VM, which is backward compatible to 3.8, so it's all good.

A link has been added to squeakvm.org, so the Mac VMs can be found easily. Cool, Dave.

I imagine the download packages for Linux, Windows, and Mac can be left for now, as they come with an image that works. The idea of putting all three VMs in a package is probably a good one, but it seems to me we can delay that for now until new packages need to be created.

A link from the Latest Development section squeakvm.org looks like a good idea, so I'll add one.
I don't have access to ftp.squeak.org, but perhaps somebody who does could add a link to squeakvm.org there.

Soooo... in total:

1. Dave has updated squeakvm.org
2. I need to change links to VMs on the download page, and add a link from the Latest Development section to squeakvm.org.
3. As some people go straight to ftp.squeak.org, perhaps somebody could add a link to squeakvm.org from there.

I think that's the big picture. With these changes is should be much easier to reach for a VM while reaching for a Trunk image.

Chris

Re: Where is there a working Squeak VM?

Juan Vuletich-4
K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Friday 26 February 2010 10:27:16 am Chris Muller wrote:
>
>> My only suggestion would be that we try to co-locate all of the files
>> necessary for a running system, whether that be
>> http://squeak.org/Download/ under the heading "Virtual Machine", or
>> under "Latest Development" (which would be from the ftp.squeak.org
>> site) or squeakvm.org.
>>
> This is a good suggestion. The VM binaries are small compared to the image
> that one could bundle Linux+Mac+Win32 binaries together for a true multi-
> platform experience.
>
> I prefer the Etoys-To-Go model of combining the image and all three VMs and
> plugins into a portable tree that can be run either installed on a machine or
> launched off a removable volume.
>
> Subbu

The standard Mac VM is about 22Mb (bigger than the full image!) while
the Windows VM is about 1Mb. I think a smaller VM with just standard
plugins would be in order to do what you say.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 05:57:29PM -0500, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> I think that's the big picture. With these changes is should be much easier
> to reach for a VM while reaching for a Trunk image.

Thanks Chris!

Re: Where is there a working Squeak VM?

keith1y

On 27 Feb 2010, at 01:19, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
>> On Friday 26 February 2010 10:27:16 am Chris Muller wrote:
>>
>>> My only suggestion would be that we try to co-locate all of the
>>> files
>>> necessary for a running system, whether that be
>>> http://squeak.org/Download/ under the heading "Virtual Machine", or
>>> under "Latest Development" (which would be from the ftp.squeak.org
>>> site) or squeakvm.org.
>>>
>> This is a good suggestion. The VM binaries are small compared to
>> the image that one could bundle Linux+Mac+Win32 binaries together
>> for a true multi-
>> platform experience.

This is what I am aiming for at

https://code.launchpad.net/~smalltalkers/cuis/Cuis2.0vm.app

https//launchpad.net/cuis/Cuis2.0vm.app

You can see the various vm versions tagged

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~smalltalkers/cuis/Cuis2.0vm.app/changes

to get this bundle with bzr

bzr checkout --lightweight https//launchpad.net/cuis/Cuis2.0vm.app

This is subject to change since users are baulking at having a branch
named *.app

Keith