Where's the Squeak one-click experience?

Where's the Squeak one-click experience?

Kirk Fraser
The following webpage has an error:

The Squeak Smalltalk link now points to:

That website appears to have nothing about Seaside except a link to http://www.seaside.st/

I can call 1-800-Microsoft and get a run-around like that from live people.

Re: Where's the Squeak one-click experience?

Lukas Renggli
> The following webpage has an error:
> http://www.seaside.st/download

Seaside is developed in Pharo:

The one-click images are here <http://www.seaside.st/download/pharo>.

There is also a direct download link on the front page of
<http://www.seaside.st>.

> The Squeak Smalltalk link now points to:
> http://www.squeak.org/

I agree that this is not ideal. To me is not clear if the latest
Seaside runs on Squeak at all? And we don't have a name of somebody
that is committed to maintaining the port and taking responsibility
for this platform, so I will remove the link until this clears up ...

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Where's the Squeak one-click experience?

Danie Roux-6
On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
> I agree that this is not ideal. To me is not clear if the latest
> Seaside runs on Squeak at all?

I am not sure about 3.0, 2.8 runs fine on Squeak trunk with this fix:

Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix - http://danieroux.com

Re: Where's the Squeak one-click experience?

Andreas.Raab
Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> The Squeak Smalltalk link now points to:
>> http://www.squeak.org/
>
> I agree that this is not ideal.

It's no different from the links to GST or VAST.

> To me is not clear if the latest Seaside runs on Squeak at all?

Sure does. With Dale's latest fix you can just load the Metacello
config. Yesterday we also upgraded source.squeak.org using an older
version of Seaside on a current image and it works just as fine.

> And we don't have a name of somebody
> that is committed to maintaining the port and taking responsibility
> for this platform, so I will remove the link until this clears up ...

As I've said earlier, I'm on the Seaside-dev list specifically to hear
about issues that come up regarding Squeak. If that doesn't count as
commitment, please let me know what does. At this point Seaside is fully
functional and fully supported on Squeak.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Re: Where's the Squeak one-click experience?

Lukas Renggli
>>> The Squeak Smalltalk link now points to:
>>> http://www.squeak.org/
>>
>> I agree that this is not ideal.
>
> It's no different from the links to GST or VAST.

Imagine a newbie: He goes to www.seaside.st and clicks on his favorite
platform. Surprisingly he is brought back to the main website of his
platform. The next logical step would be to assume that Seaside comes
with the default distribution. So he downloads it and finds Seaside
included with GST and VASt, but not in Squeak. Now, the newbie is lost
and probably gives up.

>> To me is not clear if the latest Seaside runs on Squeak at all?
>
> Sure does. With Dale's latest fix you can just load the Metacello config.
> Yesterday we also upgraded source.squeak.org using an older version of
> Seaside on a current image and it works just as fine.

The newbie is definitely lost.

>> And we don't have a name of somebody
>> that is committed to maintaining the port and taking responsibility
>> for this platform, so I will remove the link until this clears up ...
>
> As I've said earlier, I'm on the Seaside-dev list specifically to hear about
> issues that come up regarding Squeak. If that doesn't count as commitment,
> please let me know what does. At this point Seaside is fully functional and
> fully supported on Squeak.

That's perfect, thank's for letting us know.

Maybe you could additional put a link on www.squeak.org that explains
how to get started? If necessary, we can discuss further actions in
the thread on the dev-list.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: Where's the Squeak one-click experience?

Randal L. Schwartz

Lukas> Maybe you could additional put a link on www.squeak.org that explains
Lukas> how to get started? If necessary, we can discuss further actions in
Lukas> the thread on the dev-list.

Chris Cunnington has volunteered to do that, and has a commit bit on
squeak.org to do it.  If it's not done yet, we should see if Chris still plans
on doing it and in what timeframe.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Lukas Renggli wrote:

>>> I agree that this is not ideal.
>> It's no different from the links to GST or VAST.
>
> Imagine a newbie: He goes to www.seaside.st and clicks on his favorite
> platform. Surprisingly he is brought back to the main website of his
> platform. The next logical step would be to assume that Seaside comes
> with the default distribution. So he downloads it and finds Seaside
> included with GST and VASt, but not in Squeak. Now, the newbie is lost
> and probably gives up.

Sure, and we're working on it. I just wanted to point out that both GST
and VAST also link straight to the front pages of those systems instead
of Seaside specific sections.

>>> To me is not clear if the latest Seaside runs on Squeak at all?
>> Sure does. With Dale's latest fix you can just load the Metacello config.
>> Yesterday we also upgraded source.squeak.org using an older version of
>> Seaside on a current image and it works just as fine.
>
> The newbie is definitely lost.

Absolutely. That wasn't intended for newbies, it was intended as an
illustration that Seaside 3.0 loads and works fine in Squeak.

>>> And we don't have a name of somebody
>>> that is committed to maintaining the port and taking responsibility
>>> for this platform, so I will remove the link until this clears up ...
>> As I've said earlier, I'm on the Seaside-dev list specifically to hear about
>> issues that come up regarding Squeak. If that doesn't count as commitment,
>> please let me know what does. At this point Seaside is fully functional and
>> fully supported on Squeak.
>
> That's perfect, thank's for letting us know.
>
> Maybe you could additional put a link on www.squeak.org that explains
> how to get started? If necessary, we can discuss further actions in
> the thread on the dev-list.

We've been working on a better setup for Seaside for a while now but it
seems it got stalled a little. I've just pinged Randall (who has the
ball here) where that stands. And yes, please feel free to raise any
issues you see on the Seaside-dev list.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Re: Where's the Squeak one-click experience?

Lukas Renggli
> Lukas> Maybe you could additional put a link on www.squeak.org that explains
> Lukas> how to get started? If necessary, we can discuss further actions in
> Lukas> the thread on the dev-list.
>
> Chris Cunnington has volunteered to do that, and has a commit bit on
> squeak.org to do it.  If it's not done yet, we should see if Chris still plans
> on doing it and in what timeframe.

Ok, excellent.

Lukas

--