Where to go for Smalltalk/X help?

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

This is mostly a question for Prague guys having experience with
Smalltalk/X: is there some mailing list or forum or something else where
one can go for help? Is there a ST/X community?

I had some install problems last time and before repeat, I'd like to
know who to ask for help. And I really like to see Jaroslav's
contributions ASAP :)

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Where to go for Smalltalk/X help?

Jaroslav Havlín
Hello Janko,
I'm sorry, I do not know whether there is a mailing list for STX, but
Honza Vrany probably will.
What problems have you experienced?
 Jarda

2009/5/18 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> Dear all,
>
> This is mostly a question for Prague guys having experience with
> Smalltalk/X: is there some mailing list or forum or something else where
> one can go for help? Is there a ST/X community?
>
> I had some install problems last time and before repeat, I'd like to
> know who to ask for help. And I really like to see Jaroslav's
> contributions ASAP :)
>
> Janko
>
> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Where to go for Smalltalk/X help?

Jan Vrany-2
Hello Janko (and others)

nice to hear that you are interested in Smalltalk/X. In fact,
Smalltalk/X community is really small and well hidden. That's
a pity, because St/X is surely the best Smalltalk I've ever seen :-)

Well, there is no active mailing list. eXecpt guys recently set up
a forum for Smalltalk/X and eXpecco: http://forum.exept.de/

I'm using heavily modified Smalltalk/X distribution with several
enhancements such as SVN support (we, i.e. me and Claus plan to
integrate my changes into the mainline, but it takes some time :-)

Our improved Smalltalk/X distribution can be found at

http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies

Probably the easiest way is to install using .deb
In fact, I'm using ubuntu, so .debs are kept up-to-date.
I'm quite lazy to keep other distros (linux .tar.gz
and windows .zip up-to-date - my fail, indeed)

The site cited above also includes some informations
that might be useful. However, it's still far from ideal
state. You may use that site for bug reporting as well.
Bug reports & ideas for enhancements are welcome!
(especially for libsvn package, as there are plans to
do a general switch from CVS to SVN)

In any case, feel free to write me an email
(or contact me via jabber: [hidden email])

Cheers, Jan

P.S.: The AIDA install process described by Jaroslav
is ugly. Now I'm working on new build system that should
ease the deployment of St/X packages, but time...