Where to put removed stuff?

Simon Denier-3
Hi there

I think this has been discussed before, but I cant tell if there is an official rule for that (maybe it could be added to the wiki).

So let's say I have a patch which removes the Collection arithmetic protocols (332). Now this protocol is still quite nice and we can offer it as an extension package for those who need it. Where should I put this Collection-Arithmetic package? In its own squeaksource project? Or is there a project for extra packages for Pharo?

--
 Simon

Re: Where to put removed stuff?

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/11/29 Simon Denier <[hidden email]>
Hi there

I think this has been discussed before, but I cant tell if there is an official rule for that (maybe it could be added to the wiki).

So let's say I have a patch which removes the Collection arithmetic protocols (332). Now this protocol is still quite nice and we can offer it as an extension package for those who need it. Where should I put this Collection-Arithmetic package? In its own squeaksource project?

I would that. Create a new MC package called Collection-Arithmetic on SqueakSource and I would not put it in Pharo Core or even in Pharo. However, it is accessible and loadable for those who want that external package.

Cheers,

Mariano

Or is there a project for extra packages for Pharo?

--
 Simon

Re: Where to put removed stuff?

Lukas Renggli
I would kill it, unless you or somebody else really cares and is
willing to spend time and energy on it. Otherwise you waste your time
and accumulate garbage you cleaned here somewhere else.

Lukas

On Sunday, November 29, 2009, Mariano Martinez Peck
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/11/29 Simon Denier <[hidden email] <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', '[hidden email]');>>
>

> Hi there
>

> I think this has been discussed before, but I cant tell if there is an official rule for that (maybe it could be added to the wiki).
>

> So let's say I have a patch which removes the Collection arithmetic protocols (332 <http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=332>). Now this protocol is still quite nice and we can offer it as an extension package for those who need it. Where should I put this Collection-Arithmetic package? In its own squeaksource project?
>

> I would that. Create a new MC package called Collection-Arithmetic on SqueakSource and I would not put it in Pharo Core or even in Pharo. However, it is accessible and loadable for those who want that external package.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano
>

> Or is there a project for extra packages for Pharo?
>
> --
>  Simon

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Where to put removed stuff?

> Hi there
>
> I think this has been discussed before, but I cant tell if there is an official rule for that (maybe it could be added to the wiki).
>
> So let's say I have a patch which removes the Collection arithmetic protocols (332). Now this protocol is still quite nice and we can offer it as an extension package for those who need it. Where should I put this Collection-Arithmetic package? In its own squeaksource project? Or is there a project for extra packages for Pharo?

in general if a package should be part of a dev image and it was curved out from the image it would
be good to have in the Pharo repository. May be in the future we will need some repository for non core packages.

Re: Where to put removed stuff?

Adrian Lienhard

On Nov 30, 2009, at 12:07 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> Hi there
>>
>> I think this has been discussed before, but I cant tell if there is
>> an official rule for that (maybe it could be added to the wiki).
>>
>> So let's say I have a patch which removes the Collection arithmetic
>> protocols (332). Now this protocol is still quite nice and we can
>> offer it as an extension package for those who need it. Where
>> should I put this Collection-Arithmetic package? In its own
>> squeaksource project? Or is there a project for extra packages for
>> Pharo?
>
> in general if a package should be part of a dev image and it was
> curved out from the image it would
> be good to have in the Pharo repository. May be in the future we
> will need some repository for non core packages.

I wouldn't put these packages into the SqueakSource project "Pharo". I
put the Sound and MorphicExample code that I removed from the core
into separate SqueakSource projects. Like this the main repository
does not get cluttered with unloaded code. Being separate from the
core code also allows for public write access, which is not granted on
the Pharo project.

Cheers,
Adrian

On 30 nov. 2009, at 09:45, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2009, at 12:07 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>>> Hi there
>>>
>>> I think this has been discussed before, but I cant tell if there is
>>> an official rule for that (maybe it could be added to the wiki).
>>>
>>> So let's say I have a patch which removes the Collection arithmetic
>>> protocols (332). Now this protocol is still quite nice and we can
>>> offer it as an extension package for those who need it. Where
>>> should I put this Collection-Arithmetic package? In its own
>>> squeaksource project? Or is there a project for extra packages for
>>> Pharo?
>>
>> in general if a package should be part of a dev image and it was
>> curved out from the image it would
>> be good to have in the Pharo repository. May be in the future we
>> will need some repository for non core packages.
>
> I wouldn't put these packages into the SqueakSource project "Pharo". I
> put the Sound and MorphicExample code that I removed from the core
> into separate SqueakSource projects. Like this the main repository
> does not get cluttered with unloaded code. Being separate from the
> core code also allows for public write access, which is not granted on
> the Pharo project.

OK, I will do that then.

--
  Simon

Re: Where to put removed stuff?

niko.schwarz
On Stackoverflow someone asked what to do with good code which isn't
needed anymore. This was the answer: <blockquote>As an answer, please
consider this short story:

The dead code Collector: Bring out yer dead code.

Man with dead code : Here's one.

The dead code Collector: That'll be ninepence.

The dead code: I'm not dead code.

The dead code Collector: What?

Man with dead code : Nothing. There's your ninepence.

The dead code: I'm not dead code.

The dead code Collector: 'Ere, he says he's not dead code.

Man with dead code : Yes he is.

The dead code: I'm not.

The dead code Collector: He isn't.

Man with dead code : Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.

The dead code: I'm getting better.

Man with dead code : No you're not, you'll be stone dead code in a moment.

The dead code Collector: Well, I can't take him like that. It's
against regulations.

The dead code: I don't want to go on the cart.

Man with dead code : Oh, don't be such a baby.

The dead code Collector: I can't take him.

The dead code: I feel fine.

Man with dead code : Oh, do me a favor.

The dead code Collector: I can't.

Man with dead code : Well, can you hang around for a couple of
minutes? He won't be long.

The dead code Collector: I promised I'd be at the Robinsons'. They've
lost nine today.

Man with dead code : Well, when's your next round?

The dead code Collector: Thursday.

The dead code: I think I'll go for a walk.

Man with dead code : You're not fooling anyone, you know. Isn't there
anything you could do?

The dead code: I feel happy. I feel happy.

[the dead code Collector glances up and down the street furtively,
then silences the dead code with his a whack of his Ctrl-X]

Man with dead code : Ah, thank you very much.--BraveSirFoobar</blockquote>.

(The Thread on Stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/352234/what-to-do-with-unused-useful-code)

cheers,

Niko

2009/11/29 Simon Denier <[hidden email]>:

> Hi there
> I think this has been discussed before, but I cant tell if there is an
> official rule for that (maybe it could be added to the wiki).
> So let's say I have a patch which removes the Collection arithmetic
> protocols (332). Now this protocol is still quite nice and we can offer it
> as an extension package for those who need it. Where should I put this
> Collection-Arithmetic package? In its own squeaksource project? Or is there
> a project for extra packages for Pharo?
> --
>  Simon

http://scg.unibe.ch/staff/Schwarz