Where to start

Giuseppe
Hi all,

I'm looking at Iliad, and I have it working (I suppose) under OSX and
Linux.

Now, I want to start to hack a little, but I don't know from where to
start. The aren't too much documentation at Iliad site, and don't
explain how to start an application.

For example, I start the daemon with start script, but, how I load a
package, Class, Application, and so on to this working gst/Iliad daemon?

Sorry if this is obvious. I'm new to GST and Iliad.

Cheers.

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz
Blog: http://www.lordzealon.com
Twitter & Skype & GoogleTalk accounts: glpunzi

Re: Where to start

Steven Costiou
Hi =)

Welcome in our small-but-growing-iliad-community =)

It is true the documentation is not yet very complete (at all =p). I oftenly say to Nico and Seb "hey i'm gonna write some doc" but i never finished anything yet :/

Still, i know nothing about GST, but, about Iliad, this is how you can start
:

- start the Swazoo server : SwazooIliad startOn: xxxx, where xxxx is any free port you want to work with
- open a web browser
- check the example applications at: http://localhost:8888/browse
- check the documentation at http://www.iliadproject.org/pages/Documentation
- ask new questions =)

I just checked to be sure, it seems the way to start with gst-iliad is to use the script
./start.sh -p xxxx
where xxxx is the port number.

-Steven Costiou-

2010/6/1 Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz <[hidden email]>
Hi all,

I'm looking at Iliad, and I have it working (I suppose) under OSX and Linux.

Now, I want to start to hack a little, but I don't know from where to start. The aren't too much documentation at Iliad site, and don't explain how to start an application.

For example, I start the daemon with start script, but, how I load a package, Class, Application, and so on to this working gst/Iliad daemon?

Sorry if this is obvious. I'm new to GST and Iliad.

Cheers.

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz
Blog: http://www.lordzealon.com
Twitter & Skype & GoogleTalk accounts: glpunzi

Re: Where to start

Steven Costiou
To be more specific on how to start an application :

In the class side of your application, you have to create a path method, which gets back a string. This string is the address you can access your web application, using a web browser.

For example in IL-More-Examples >> ILCometCounterApplication (class side), the method path returns 'examples/comet', which means you can access the application using the following address : http://localhost:xxxx/examples/comet

-Steven Costiou-

2010/6/1 Steven Costiou <[hidden email]>
[...]

Nicolas Petton
Hi Guiseppe,

Welcome to this list :)

It's true Iliad doesn't have much documentation.
The code itself is a bit more documented.
I suggest to read comments in the code, starting with Core-Buildable
classes, especially ILApplication and ILWidget.

There are also blog posts about iliad:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/tags/iliad

About Iliad examples:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/iliad-examples-explained-part-i-counter-example
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/iliad-examples-explained-part-ii
(this example is now removed but the explanations should still be valid)

Another one about Formula:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/formula-building-nice-validated-forms-iliad-ease

About Comet in Iliad:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/iliad-applications-comet

About Bookmarking AJAX applications:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/bookmarking-ajax-applications-iliad-and-fixing-back-button

> For example, I start the daemon with start script, but, how I load a
> package, Class, Application, and so on to this working gst/Iliad daemon?

You can filein you classes or create a .star package and load it (this
is probably a question for GNU-Smalltalk mailing-list).
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/faq/55

keep asking questions!
Nico

Re: Where to start

Giuseppe
Hi Nico,

El mié, 02-06-2010 a las 13:11 +0200, Nicolas Petton escribió:
Hi Guiseppe,

Welcome to this list :)

Thanks ;)

It's true Iliad doesn't have much documentation.
The code itself is a bit more documented.
I suggest to read comments in the code, starting with Core-Buildable
classes, especially ILApplication and ILWidget.

Uh...then I will need wait to VisualGST be fixed for this, I don't fell very comfortable with emacs for the moment.
An Eclipse plugin for this could be great too, but this, needs people interested working on this.

There are also blog posts about iliad:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/tags/iliad

About Iliad examples:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/iliad-examples-explained-part-i-counter-example
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/iliad-examples-explained-part-ii
(this example is now removed but the explanations should still be valid)

Another one about Formula:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/formula-building-nice-validated-forms-iliad-ease

About Comet in Iliad:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/iliad-applications-comet

About Bookmarking AJAX applications:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/bookmarking-ajax-applications-iliad-and-fixing-back-button

I will check all this links, thanks.

> For example, I start the daemon with start script, but, how I load a
> package, Class, Application, and so on to this working gst/Iliad daemon?

You can filein you classes or create a .star package and load it (this
is probably a question for GNU-Smalltalk mailing-list).
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/faq/55

Well, my questions, was because my approach to smalltalk, was with Squeak. In Squeak, you have your image, and load/change things live (well, you know a lot about this :P )...with GST I'm searching the way. Is, another "change of chip"

keep asking questions!
Nico

Thanks again ;)

Re: Where to start

Nicolas Petton
If you feel more comfortable reading code in Squeak, you can still learn Iliad from Squeak/Pharo :)
Installation instructions for Pharo:
http://www.iliadproject.org/pages/Download/Squeak-Pharo-port

Metacello is the easiest way to load Iliad.

Cheers,
Nico

2010/6/2 Giuseppe Luigi Punzi <[hidden email]>
Hi Nico,

El mié, 02-06-2010 a las 13:11 +0200, Nicolas Petton escribió:
Hi Guiseppe,

Welcome to this list :)

Thanks ;)

It's true Iliad doesn't have much documentation.
The code itself is a bit more documented.
I suggest to read comments in the code, starting with Core-Buildable
classes, especially ILApplication and ILWidget.

Uh...then I will need wait to VisualGST be fixed for this, I don't fell very comfortable with emacs for the moment.
An Eclipse plugin for this could be great too, but this, needs people interested working on this. I will check all this links, thanks.

--
Nicolas Petton

http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: Where to start

Giuseppe
I know, but I suppose you readed my comments about Squeak in the first private mail I sent you. :)

I would like to use GST.

El mié, 02-06-2010 a las 16:06 +0200, nicolas petton escribió:
If you feel more comfortable reading code in Squeak, you can still learn Iliad from Squeak/Pharo :)
Installation instructions for Pharo:
http://www.iliadproject.org/pages/Download/Squeak-Pharo-port

Metacello is the easiest way to load Iliad.

Cheers,
Nico

2010/6/2 Giuseppe Luigi Punzi <[hidden email]>
Hi Nico,

El mié, 02-06-2010 a las 13:11 +0200, Nicolas Petton escribió:
Hi Guiseppe,

Welcome to this list :)

Thanks ;)

It's true Iliad doesn't have much documentation.
The code itself is a bit more documented.
I suggest to read comments in the code, starting with Core-Buildable
classes, especially ILApplication and ILWidget.

Uh...then I will need wait to VisualGST be fixed for this, I don't fell very comfortable with emacs for the moment.
An Eclipse plugin for this could be great too, but this, needs people interested working on this.

There are also blog posts about iliad:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/tags/iliad

About Iliad examples:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/iliad-examples-explained-part-i-counter-example
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/iliad-examples-explained-part-ii
(this example is now removed but the explanations should still be valid)

Another one about Formula:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/formula-building-nice-validated-forms-iliad-ease

About Comet in Iliad:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/iliad-applications-comet

About Bookmarking AJAX applications:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/bookmarking-ajax-applications-iliad-and-fixing-back-button

I will check all this links, thanks.

> For example, I start the daemon with start script, but, how I load a
> package, Class, Application, and so on to this working gst/Iliad daemon?

You can filein you classes or create a .star package and load it (this
is probably a question for GNU-Smalltalk mailing-list).
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/faq/55

Well, my questions, was because my approach to smalltalk, was with Squeak. In Squeak, you have your image, and load/change things live (well, you know a lot about this :P )...with GST I'm searching the way. Is, another "change of chip"

keep asking questions!
Nico

Thanks again ;)

--
Nicolas Petton

http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: Where to start

Nicolas Petton
If you're not comfortable with Emacs, you can use Vim
Vim has Smalltalk code highlighting, and this function:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/wiki/gst-and-vim will force it to produce the
indentation used in most of GNU Smalltalk code.
You can also use Kate:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/kate-text-editor-smalltalkers

Cheers,
Nico

Re: Where to start

Giuseppe
Well, my main problem is not emacs itself.

After too much time without develop proffesionaly, and following
Squeak in my spare time, I think, I'm very affected (influenced) now
by Browser with autocompletion and syntax coloring, Workspace,
Inspect, and so on.

For this reason, I want to use VisualGST.

Otherwise, because my main text editor for simple things is Vim, I
will give a try, while Gwennael release the fixes to VisualGST.