Which ConfigurationOfPharo should use in Pharo 1.2 ?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Which ConfigurationOfPharo should use in Pharo 1.2 ?

garduino
I tried the 2 latest Beta and fail, also the 1.1 version fail.

Which ConfigurationOfPharo I should use with Pharo 1.2 ?

Cheers.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Which ConfigurationOfPharo should use in Pharo 1.2 ?

Guillermo Polito
I'm Using '1.2-beta2'. 

Should we remove invalid and unused versions?  I'll add a few comments at lunch time ;)

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cheers.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs
ConfigurationOfPharo should have a #stable symbolic version defined that specifies the version that should be used in 1.2, 1.1, and 1.0 ... then one just loads the #stable version:

(ConfigurationOfPharo project version: #stable) load

and you'll get the right version loaded for the platform version ... even though the version is under development I think it is valid to specify a #stable symbolic version for Pharo1.2, just so folks don't have to ask this question over and over again ... Don't let the name 'stable' scare you ...

The intent is that the #stable symbolic version specifies the version that should be loaded .... the developer decides which versions are #stable for each platform version and when a new version becomes "the version to use" the developer updates the specification.

The users of a configuration shouldn't have to think ... remember in the past the recommended pattern was:

ConfigurationOfPharo project latestVersion load

and that worked fine until Pharo1.1 and Pharo1.2 were introduced. The expression:

is intended to replace the use of #latestVersion because it makes it possible to explicitly specify the "latest version" on a platform by platform and platform version basis...

Sorry if I appear to be ranting ... I'm just trying to get the message out:)

Dale

On Feb 4, 2011, at 6:01 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:

I'm Using '1.2-beta2'.

Should we remove invalid and unused versions?  I'll add a few comments at lunch time ;)

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Cheers.

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
Dale, Is there a place where I can read how to configure the symbolic versions?

Thx!
Guille :)

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
ConfigurationOfPharo should have a #stable symbolic version defined that specifies the version that should be used in 1.2, 1.1, and 1.0 ... then one just loads the #stable version:

and you'll get the right version loaded for the platform version ... even though the version is under development I think it is valid to specify a #stable symbolic version for Pharo1.2, just so folks don't have to ask this question over and over again ... Don't let the name 'stable' scare you ...

The intent is that the #stable symbolic version specifies the version that should be loaded .... the developer decides which versions are #stable for each platform version and when a new version becomes "the version to use" the developer updates the specification.

The users of a configuration shouldn't have to think ... remember in the past the recommended pattern was:

and that worked fine until Pharo1.1 and Pharo1.2 were introduced. The expression:

is intended to replace the use of #latestVersion because it makes it possible to explicitly specify the "latest version" on a platform by platform and platform version basis...

Dale

I'm Using '1.2-beta2'.

Should we remove invalid and unused versions?  I'll add a few comments at lunch time ;)

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Cheers.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Denker-4
In reply to this post by garduino

On Feb 4, 2011, at 2:53 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> I tried the 2 latest Beta and fail, also the 1.1 version fail.
>
> Which ConfigurationOfPharo I should use with Pharo 1.2 ?
>
>

Deprecation raiseWarning: false.
Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigurationOfPharo';
load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project lastVersion) perform: #silently: with: true; perform: #load.

You can always download the latest image here:

https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/job/Pharo%201.2/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Pharo-1.2.zip

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs
In reply to this post by Guillermo Polito

>
> Should we remove invalid and unused versions?  

Good question.

I think the first rule of thumb is to never remove a version from a configuration. Once you have published a configuration you don't know if someone else has referenced a published version in their configuration and if you remove the version you will break their configuration.

Removing a configuration version is the moral equivalent of deleting an mcz file from a repository...it only hurts the other folks that depend upon the file.

Sooo, it follows that a) if you don't think any is using the version and b) you don't mind if you break someone else's configuration then you can go ahead and remove the version...in the case of an emergency, the removed version can be restored from and older version of the configuration mcz file ...

Dale
Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs
In reply to this post by Guillermo Polito
Sure:

http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/metacello-1-0-beta-28-unearthed/

Be sure to look at the section of development cycle ... and tools support, too...

Dale

On Feb 4, 2011, at 6:37 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:

Dale, Is there a place where I can read how to configure the symbolic versions?

Thx!
Guille :)

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Dale

I'm Using '1.2-beta2'.

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:

Cheers.

Reply | Threaded
|

garduino
Thanks by the explanations Dale.

Thanks Guillermo and Markus by the points.

Until moment any way of installation I tried failed with different
sort of messages.

By now I downloaded the ready image pointed by Markus but would like
to build my own.

Thanks!

2011/2/4 Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:

> Sure:
>
>  http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/metacello-1-0-beta-28-unearthed/
>
> Be sure to look at the section of development cycle ... and tools support, too...
>
> Dale
>
> On Feb 4, 2011, at 6:37 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>
> Dale, Is there a place where I can read how to configure the symbolic versions?
>
> Thx!
> Guille :)
>
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> ConfigurationOfPharo should have a #stable symbolic version defined that specifies the version that should be used in 1.2, 1.1, and 1.0 ... then one just loads the #stable version:
>
>  (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: #stable) load
>
> and you'll get the right version loaded for the platform version ... even though the version is under development I think it is valid to specify a #stable symbolic version for Pharo1.2, just so folks don't have to ask this question over and over again ... Don't let the name 'stable' scare you ...
>
> The intent is that the #stable symbolic version specifies the version that should be loaded .... the developer decides which versions are #stable for each platform version and when a new version becomes "the version to use" the developer updates the specification.
>
> The users of a configuration shouldn't have to think ... remember in the past the recommended pattern was:
>
>  ConfigurationOfPharo project latestVersion load
>
> and that worked fine until Pharo1.1 and Pharo1.2 were introduced. The expression:
>
>  (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: #stable) load
>
> is intended to replace the use of #latestVersion because it makes it possible to explicitly specify the "latest version" on a platform by platform and platform version basis...
>
> Sorry if I appear to be ranting ... I'm just trying to get the message out:)
>
> Dale
>
> On Feb 4, 2011, at 6:01 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>
> I'm Using '1.2-beta2'.
>
> Should we remove invalid and unused versions?  I'll add a few comments at lunch time ;)
>
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
> I tried the 2 latest Beta and fail, also the 1.1 version fail.
>
> Which ConfigurationOfPharo I should use with Pharo 1.2 ?
>
> Cheers.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
=================================================
Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com

Reply | Threaded
|

garduino
Sorry I should have written: "Marcus", sorry.

2011/2/4 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks by the explanations Dale.
>
> Thanks Guillermo and Markus by the points.
>
> Until moment any way of installation I tried failed with different
> sort of messages.
>
> By now I downloaded the ready image pointed by Markus but would like
> to build my own.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> 2011/2/4 Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:
>> Sure:
>>
>>  http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/metacello-1-0-beta-28-unearthed/
>>
>> Be sure to look at the section of development cycle ... and tools support, too...
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> On Feb 4, 2011, at 6:37 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>>
>> Dale, Is there a place where I can read how to configure the symbolic versions?
>>
>> Thx!
>> Guille :)
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> ConfigurationOfPharo should have a #stable symbolic version defined that specifies the version that should be used in 1.2, 1.1, and 1.0 ... then one just loads the #stable version:
>>
>>  (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: #stable) load
>>
>> and you'll get the right version loaded for the platform version ... even though the version is under development I think it is valid to specify a #stable symbolic version for Pharo1.2, just so folks don't have to ask this question over and over again ... Don't let the name 'stable' scare you ...
>>
>> The intent is that the #stable symbolic version specifies the version that should be loaded .... the developer decides which versions are #stable for each platform version and when a new version becomes "the version to use" the developer updates the specification.
>>
>> The users of a configuration shouldn't have to think ... remember in the past the recommended pattern was:
>>
>>  ConfigurationOfPharo project latestVersion load
>>
>> and that worked fine until Pharo1.1 and Pharo1.2 were introduced. The expression:
>>
>>  (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: #stable) load
>>
>> is intended to replace the use of #latestVersion because it makes it possible to explicitly specify the "latest version" on a platform by platform and platform version basis...
>>
>> Sorry if I appear to be ranting ... I'm just trying to get the message out:)
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> On Feb 4, 2011, at 6:01 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>>
>> I'm Using '1.2-beta2'.
>>
>> Should we remove invalid and unused versions?  I'll add a few comments at lunch time ;)
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>> I tried the 2 latest Beta and fail, also the 1.1 version fail.
>>
>> Which ConfigurationOfPharo I should use with Pharo 1.2 ?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> =================================================
> Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
> Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
> PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com
> =================================================
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Denker-4
In reply to this post by garduino

On Feb 5, 2011, at 12:16 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> Sorry I should have written: "Marcus", sorry.
>

I attach the complete script used for building 1.2 as the builder.sh stiches it together:

> 2011/2/4 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:
>> Thanks by the explanations Dale.
>>
>> Thanks Guillermo and Markus by the points.
>>
>> Until moment any way of installation I tried failed with different
>> sort of messages.
>>
>> By now I downloaded the ready image pointed by Markus but would like
>> to build my own.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>
>> 2011/2/4 Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:
>>> Sure:
>>>
>>>  http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/metacello-1-0-beta-28-unearthed/
>>>
>>> Be sure to look at the section of development cycle ... and tools support, too...
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> On Feb 4, 2011, at 6:37 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>>>
>>> Dale, Is there a place where I can read how to configure the symbolic versions?
>>>
>>> Thx!
>>> Guille :)
>>>
>>> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>> ConfigurationOfPharo should have a #stable symbolic version defined that specifies the version that should be used in 1.2, 1.1, and 1.0 ... then one just loads the #stable version:
>>>
>>>  (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: #stable) load
>>>
>>> and you'll get the right version loaded for the platform version ... even though the version is under development I think it is valid to specify a #stable symbolic version for Pharo1.2, just so folks don't have to ask this question over and over again ... Don't let the name 'stable' scare you ...
>>>
>>> The intent is that the #stable symbolic version specifies the version that should be loaded .... the developer decides which versions are #stable for each platform version and when a new version becomes "the version to use" the developer updates the specification.
>>>
>>> The users of a configuration shouldn't have to think ... remember in the past the recommended pattern was:
>>>
>>>  ConfigurationOfPharo project latestVersion load
>>>
>>> and that worked fine until Pharo1.1 and Pharo1.2 were introduced. The expression:
>>>
>>>  (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: #stable) load
>>>
>>> is intended to replace the use of #latestVersion because it makes it possible to explicitly specify the "latest version" on a platform by platform and platform version basis...
>>>
>>> Sorry if I appear to be ranting ... I'm just trying to get the message out:)
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> On Feb 4, 2011, at 6:01 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm Using '1.2-beta2'.
>>>
>>> Should we remove invalid and unused versions?  I'll add a few comments at lunch time ;)
>>>
>>> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>>> I tried the 2 latest Beta and fail, also the 1.1 version fail.
>>>
>>> Which ConfigurationOfPharo I should use with Pharo 1.2 ?
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> =================================================
>> Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
>> Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
>> PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com
>> =================================================
>>
>
--

Pharo-1.2.st (1008 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 05 Feb 2011, at 08:31, Marcus Denker wrote:

> I attach the complete script used for building 1.2 as the builder.sh stiches it together:
>
>
> <Pharo-1.2.st>

It would be really cool if this were an artifact as well, so that those interested in certain builds can see exactly how they were produced.

Sven

PS: the things you are doing with the CI server are really coola ans useful.

Reply | Threaded
|

garduino
In reply to this post by Marcus Denker-4
Thanks!

2011/2/5 Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>:

>
> On Feb 5, 2011, at 12:16 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>
>> Sorry I should have written: "Marcus", sorry.
>>
>
> I attach the complete script used for building 1.2 as the builder.sh stiches it together:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>> 2011/2/4 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:
>>> Thanks by the explanations Dale.
>>>
>>> Thanks Guillermo and Markus by the points.
>>>
>>> Until moment any way of installation I tried failed with different
>>> sort of messages.
>>>
>>> By now I downloaded the ready image pointed by Markus but would like
>>> to build my own.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>>
>>> 2011/2/4 Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:
>>>> Sure:
>>>>
>>>>  http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/metacello-1-0-beta-28-unearthed/
>>>>
>>>> Be sure to look at the section of development cycle ... and tools support, too...
>>>>
>>>> Dale
>>>>
>>>> On Feb 4, 2011, at 6:37 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Dale, Is there a place where I can read how to configure the symbolic versions?
>>>>
>>>> Thx!
>>>> Guille :)
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>> ConfigurationOfPharo should have a #stable symbolic version defined that specifies the version that should be used in 1.2, 1.1, and 1.0 ... then one just loads the #stable version:
>>>>
>>>>  (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: #stable) load
>>>>
>>>> and you'll get the right version loaded for the platform version ... even though the version is under development I think it is valid to specify a #stable symbolic version for Pharo1.2, just so folks don't have to ask this question over and over again ... Don't let the name 'stable' scare you ...
>>>>
>>>> The intent is that the #stable symbolic version specifies the version that should be loaded .... the developer decides which versions are #stable for each platform version and when a new version becomes "the version to use" the developer updates the specification.
>>>>
>>>> The users of a configuration shouldn't have to think ... remember in the past the recommended pattern was:
>>>>
>>>>  ConfigurationOfPharo project latestVersion load
>>>>
>>>> and that worked fine until Pharo1.1 and Pharo1.2 were introduced. The expression:
>>>>
>>>>  (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: #stable) load
>>>>
>>>> is intended to replace the use of #latestVersion because it makes it possible to explicitly specify the "latest version" on a platform by platform and platform version basis...
>>>>
>>>> Sorry if I appear to be ranting ... I'm just trying to get the message out:)
>>>>
>>>> Dale
>>>>
>>>> On Feb 4, 2011, at 6:01 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I'm Using '1.2-beta2'.
>>>>
>>>> Should we remove invalid and unused versions?  I'll add a few comments at lunch time ;)
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>>>> I tried the 2 latest Beta and fail, also the 1.1 version fail.
>>>>
>>>> Which ConfigurationOfPharo I should use with Pharo 1.2 ?
>>>>
>>>> Cheers.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> =================================================
>>> Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
>>> Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
>>> PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com
>>> =================================================
>>>
>>
>
> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
>
>
>

--
Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Denker-4
In reply to this post by Marcus Denker-4

On Feb 5, 2011, at 9:53 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

>
> On 05 Feb 2011, at 08:31, Marcus Denker wrote:
>
>> I attach the complete script used for building 1.2 as the builder.sh stiches it together:
>>
>>
>> <Pharo-1.2.st>
>
> It would be really cool if this were an artifact as well, so that those interested in certain builds can see exactly how they were produced.
>
>
Ok, I will do that.

> PS: the things you are doing with the CI server are really coola ans useful.
>
All praise should go to Lukas for
        https://github.com/renggli/builder

which makes all this very trivial...

Marcus

--