Which Monticello to use?

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

Is there any new Monticello version control system on Squeak which deals
with overrides appropriately? 1.5? 2.0?

I just published Aida and again incorrectly because some methods are
overridden in extensions of another package. If you do that in current
MC, you loose those methods in an original package. Bad!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Which Monticello to use?

Nicolas Petton
Le dimanche 13 juillet 2008 à 19:51 +0200, Janko Mivšek a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> Is there any new Monticello version control system on Squeak which deals
> with overrides appropriately? 1.5? 2.0?

There are some monkey patches in Aida that should be removed IMHO. I'm
not sure if MC2 will deal with it anyway.

> I just published Aida and again incorrectly because some methods are
> overridden in extensions of another package.
Did you fix it?

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: Which Monticello to use?

Janko Mivšek
nico wrote:

>> Is there any new Monticello version control system on Squeak which deals
>> with overrides appropriately? 1.5? 2.0?

> There are some monkey patches in Aida that should be removed IMHO. I'm
> not sure if MC2 will deal with it anyway.

It seems that it will. Follow discussion on squeak-dev! Overrides (aka
monkey patching) are otherwise very nice feature, if you know how to use
it and are aware of consequences. I'm using overrides on VisualWorks for
years without much problems.

>> I just published Aida and again incorrectly because some methods are
>> overridden in extensions of another package.

> Did you fix it?

No, because I don't know how. I need to have a special image for fixing
that, it seems. I cannot fix in image where a package with those
overrides exist. Other possibility would be to temporary remove
SqueakSite package, but this image is live demo, so this won't go at all.

Maybe an upgrade of our repository to at least MC 1.5 is to be
considered soon? It seems that Pharo guys already working on that.

Best regards
JAnko