Which command-line handlers do you use most?

Which command-line handlers do you use most?

Damien Pollet
Hi all,

I'm starting to port / reimplement existing command line handlers using Clap. There's a dozen, but I wonder which ones are the most relied upon, because it's a good opportunity for refactoring the command line API as a whole and simplifying it or at least making it more orthogonal.

For instance I discovered there is a "perform" command, which is sort of redundant with the "eval" one. Similarly there are both a "configuration" and a "metacello" handlers which seem to have the same exact purpose…

Since Clap can exist besides the current command-line handlers, we can have a deprecation  period to minimize breakage and leave time for people to adapt before we kill old command line handlers for real.

Damien Pollet

Re: Which command-line handlers do you use most?

HilaireFernandes
Hi Damien,

I use one custom 'drgeo' handler in Dr. Geo to load sketch and script

I did not tested in P7, but it seems to break, not CommandHandler fault
though, more other P7 obsoleted or removed classes/protocols.

Thanks To remind me on that, I should writes tests there.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: [Pharo-users] Which command-line handlers do you use most?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:38, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm starting to port / reimplement existing command line handlers using Clap. There's a dozen, but I wonder which ones are the most relied upon, because it's a good opportunity for refactoring the command line API as a whole and simplifying it or at least making it more orthogonal.
>
> For instance I discovered there is a "perform" command, which is sort of redundant with the "eval" one. Similarly there are both a "configuration" and a "metacello" handlers which seem to have the same exact purpose…
>
> Since Clap can exist besides the current command-line handlers, we can have a deprecation  period to minimize breakage and leave time for people to adapt before we kill old command line handlers for real.
>
> --
> Damien Pollet
> type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

Most used: eval, config, st (default to run script.st)

Please make sure to stay as compatible as possible, lots of CI and server deploy/run code depends on it.

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 at 18:48, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Most used: eval, config, st (default to run script.st)

Do you ever use the metacello one instead of config?

Please make sure to stay as compatible as possible, lots of CI and server deploy/run code depends on it.

I intend to provide similar features and a path for migrating with minimal headaches, but there are several idiosyncrasies that I hope to get rid of as well.
I guess the big users of deploy/run code will come see me at ESUG and we can see what's best ;-)

Damien Pollet

Re: [Pharo-users] Which command-line handlers do you use most?

Tim Mackinnon
Does the metacello cmd line option work for git based projects? I could never work it out and always reverted to a script, but would be handy if it does work.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone