Which fonts for Pharo 1.1 ?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys. Last Pharo 1.0 images have the TrueType fonts. Now, in Pharo 1.1 Cores we have a StrikeFonts. We have two possibilites:

1) let those (strike fonts) fonts also for the dev image
2) Continue to put TrueType in Pharo dev

I am all ears.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: Which fonts for Pharo 1.1 ?

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On May 10, 2010, at 4:01 10PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi guys. Last Pharo 1.0 images have the TrueType fonts. Now, in Pharo 1.1 Cores we have a StrikeFonts. We have two possibilites:
>
> 1) let those (strike fonts) fonts also for the dev image
> 2) Continue to put TrueType in Pharo dev
>
> I am all ears.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Most current VM's have all BitBlt fixes in, so StrikeFonts look ok when dragged (not when rotated though, but that is image-side).
The 5.0 line of Mac VM's does not have a working FTPlugin.

So, depends on whether you favor speed and opening with (still in beta) VMs reliably, or a wider availability of Fonts to choose from.
Rendering-wise, there shouldn't be any differences outside the inherent ones.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Which fonts for Pharo 1.1 ?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
First, I am far from the best person to make the decision.  That said, it would be nice to have the ability to use true type fonts.  My move from Windows will not be complete until I have arranged for a home-grown font to produce symbols on paper (but I'm confusing you and scaring, make that terrifying<g>, myself).

While I want to be able to use tt fonts, I am not sure whether I care about them being used in the IDE.  The things I want are nice looking fonts (Pharo has long since spoiled me for anything less) and fast rendering.  If strike fonts look good and are faster than tt, that might be the way to go.

I'll shut up now and let people who know something about this comment on it.

Bill

On May 10, 2010, at 4:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi guys. Last Pharo 1.0 images have the TrueType fonts. Now, in Pharo 1.1 Cores we have a StrikeFonts. We have two possibilites:
>
> 1) let those (strike fonts) fonts also for the dev image
1)

and people can load TT if they want.

> 2) Continue to put TrueType in Pharo dev
>
> I am all ears.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Re: Which fonts for Pharo 1.1 ?

Tudor Girba
On 10 May 2010, at 19:15, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On May 10, 2010, at 4:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Hi guys. Last Pharo 1.0 images have the TrueType fonts. Now, in
>> Pharo 1.1 Cores we have a StrikeFonts. We have two possibilites:
>>
>> 1) let those (strike fonts) fonts also for the dev image
> 1)
>
> and people can load TT if they want.

I agree. It also makes distributing images easier.

Cheers,
Doru

>> 2) Continue to put TrueType in Pharo dev
>>
>> I am all ears.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mariano

www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: Which fonts for Pharo 1.1 ?

Mariano Martinez Peck
OK...I like 1) also, but I would care about:

a) Explain and document somewhere how people can install and make truetype to work
b) Use the VMs that have the fix to issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1803

Cheers

Mariano

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10 May 2010, at 19:15, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

On May 10, 2010, at 4:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

Hi guys. Last Pharo 1.0 images have the TrueType fonts. Now, in Pharo 1.1 Cores we have a StrikeFonts. We have two possibilites:

1) let those (strike fonts) fonts also for the dev image
1)

and people can load TT if they want.

I agree. It also makes distributing images easier.

Cheers,
Doru

2) Continue to put TrueType in Pharo dev

I am all ears.

Cheers

Mariano

www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: Which fonts for Pharo 1.1 ?

Tudor Girba
Good point.

Doru

On 10 May 2010, at 22:15, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> OK...I like 1) also, but I would care about:
>
> a) Explain and document somewhere how people can install and make
> truetype to work
> b) Use the VMs that have the fix to issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1803
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> On 10 May 2010, at 19:15, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

> On May 10, 2010, at 4:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> Hi guys. Last Pharo 1.0 images have the TrueType fonts. Now, in
> Pharo 1.1 Cores we have a StrikeFonts. We have two possibilites:
>
> 1) let those (strike fonts) fonts also for the dev image
> 1)
>
> and people can load TT if they want.
>
> I agree. It also makes distributing images easier.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> 2) Continue to put TrueType in Pharo dev
>
> I am all ears.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: Which fonts for Pharo 1.1 ?

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On May 10, 2010, at 10:15 02PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

[...]

PS.
Please call it FreeType.
Although the Freetype plugin (the interface to, and user of, you call TrueType) supports using TrueType fonts, it would be nice to be able to disambiguate it from the TrueType-Fonts/Support packages, which is something different entirely:
- Parser for TT-files in Smalltak, which is kind of cool. F.ex. I had a hard time deciphering the values given by the FreeType plugin primitives (at least without RTF external Manual), TTFontReader made getting understandable values directly from the font file easy :)
- Glyph renderer using Balloon, which is not that cool as the resulting graphics are too weak.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Which fonts for Pharo 1.1 ?

Mariano Martinez Peck

PS.
Please call it FreeType.
Although the Freetype plugin (the interface to, and user of, you call TrueType) supports using TrueType fonts, it would be nice to be able to disambiguate it from the TrueType-Fonts/Support packages, which is something different entirely:
- Parser for TT-files in Smalltak, which is kind of cool. F.ex. I had a hard time deciphering the values given by the FreeType plugin primitives (at least without RTF external Manual), TTFontReader made getting understandable values directly from the font file easy :)
- Glyph renderer using Balloon, which is not that cool as the resulting graphics are too weak.

hi Henrik. Thanks for the clarification. As you can see, my knowledge about fonts is almost nil.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Which fonts for Pharo 1.1 ?

may be we should write that on the book henrik would like to write some paragraph on fonts for dummies like us.

Stef

On May 11, 2010, at 9:27 AM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> On May 10, 2010, at 10:15 02PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> OK...I like 1) also, but I would care about:
>>
>> a) Explain and document somewhere how people can install and make truetype to work
>> b) Use the VMs that have the fix to issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1803
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mariano
>>
>> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10 May 2010, at 19:15, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>

>> On May 10, 2010, at 4:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys. Last Pharo 1.0 images have the TrueType fonts. Now, in Pharo 1.1 Cores we have a StrikeFonts. We have two possibilites:
>>
>> 1) let those (strike fonts) fonts also for the dev image
>> 1)
>>
>> and people can load TT if they want.
>>
>> I agree. It also makes distributing images easier.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> 2) Continue to put TrueType in Pharo dev
>

> PS.
> Please call it FreeType.
> Although the Freetype plugin (the interface to, and user of, you call TrueType) supports using TrueType fonts, it would be nice to be able to disambiguate it from the TrueType-Fonts/Support packages, which is something different entirely:
> - Parser for TT-files in Smalltak, which is kind of cool. F.ex. I had a hard time deciphering the values given by the FreeType plugin primitives (at least without RTF external Manual), TTFontReader made getting understandable values directly from the font file easy :)
> - Glyph renderer using Balloon, which is not that cool as the resulting graphics are too weak.
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

Re: Which fonts for Pharo 1.1 ?

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On May 11, 2010, at 10:37 16AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> may be we should write that on the book henrik would like to write some paragraph on fonts for dummies like us.
>
> Stef

I would need an account first then :)

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Which fonts for Pharo 1.1 ?

Richard Durr-2
I'd strongly argue to have true type fonts:
  * when you try to make something look good, you don't impair the
ability to use fonts

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Henrik Johansen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 11, 2010, at 10:37 16AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> may be we should write that on the book henrik would like to write some paragraph on fonts for dummies like us.
>>
>> Stef
>
> I would need an account first then :)
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

Re: Which fonts for Pharo 1.1 ?

Henrik Sperre Johansen
  On 12.05.2010 15:51, Richard Durr wrote:
> I'd strongly argue to have true type fonts:
>    * when you try to make something look good, you don't impair the
> ability to use fonts
Right.
But when you also try to make something which:
- Works the same when you move an image between multiple platforms
- Should be small in size (the DejaVu fonts shipped with 1.0 to satisfy
#1 takes ~4MB zipped, 9 unzipped )
- Runs reasonably on slower machines
Providing TrueType fonts by default might not still be the best default
(although the support for using them is not removed)

So as always, it's a trade-off.

Cheers,
Henry