Which image for deployment?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
What is the preferred Pharo image for production deployment? I've seen quite a few options:
* stripping a Seaside image from the seaside site
* the Pharo + Seaside image on the Pharo hudson server

Also, where can I read about how to strip and secure an image for deployment? I know I've seen info on the lists, but couldn't find anything in Pharo By Example, the Seaside book, or Pharo's CollaborActive book.

Thanks.
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Which image for deployment?

drush66

I would also like to hear what others think, but there is also one more option: pier image built by jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch

Davorin Rusevljan
http;//www.cloud208.com/

On May 29, 2011 11:32 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

What is the preferred Pharo image for production deployment? I've seen quite
a few options:
* stripping a Seaside image from the seaside site
1.2.2-12353)
* the Pharo + Seaside image on the Pharo hudson server

Also, where can I read about how to strip and secure an image for
deployment? I know I've seen info on the lists, but couldn't find anything
in Pharo By Example, the Seaside book, or Pharo's CollaborActive book.

Thanks.
Sean

Re: Which image for deployment?

Johan Brichau-2
imho, the best option is to take a Pharo core image and load only those parts that you need.
Once you have a metacello configuration for your app that loads upstream projects automatically, it's a breeze.

I haven't seen good tools to strip an image though (like the runtime packager of VW). So I'm also interested to hear if anybody does that.

Securing the image: make sure all request handlers (for the installed seaside apps) are removed from the image and add the auth_configuration to those applications you want to keep.
Am I forgetting something?

On 30 May 2011, at 07:50, Davorin Rusevljan wrote:

I would also like to hear what others think, but there is also one more option: pier image built by jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch

Davorin Rusevljan
http;//www.cloud208.com/

On May 29, 2011 11:32 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

What is the preferred Pharo image for production deployment? I've seen quite
a few options:
* stripping a Seaside image from the seaside site
1.2.2-12353)
* the Pharo + Seaside image on the Pharo hudson server

Also, where can I read about how to strip and secure an image for
deployment? I know I've seen info on the lists, but couldn't find anything
in Pharo By Example, the Seaside book, or Pharo's CollaborActive book.

Thanks.
Sean

Re: Which image for deployment?

Lukas Renggli
> 1.2.2-12353)

That is a known problem (see
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside-dev/2011-May/004786.html
and http://www.iam.unibe.ch/pipermail/moose-dev/2011-May/008309.html).
Some configurations that the Seaside Metacello Configuration depens on
have been updated to Pharo 1.3 breaking all users of older versions of
Pharo.

I was told that the (Pharo?) Metacello configurations do not support
of Pharo (< 1.3) cannot load Seaside with Metacello anymore. There are
various solutions:

- Move to (unstable) Pharo 1.3, use a maybe broken Seaside, and load
the code easily with Metacello (this is what Pharo wants us to do)
- Fix the configurations of Pharo or write our own configurations (no
clue how that could be done)
- Stay with (stable) Pharo and use Gofer scripts (this is what I do,
works pretty reliable and painless)

In either case you should complain in the Pharo list, there is
something broken in the process. Personally, I am fedup with these
forced updates and will stick with Pharo 1.2 until there is a really
compelling reason to move forward.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Which image for deployment?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Sean if you want a small image take into account also the ScriptLoader new cleanUpForRelease.

Cheers

Mariano

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
imho, the best option is to take a Pharo core image and load only those parts that you need.
Once you have a metacello configuration for your app that loads upstream projects automatically, it's a breeze.

I haven't seen good tools to strip an image though (like the runtime packager of VW). So I'm also interested to hear if anybody does that.

ScriptLoader new cleanUpForRelease.

could be the first step

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
imho, the best option is to take a Pharo core image and load only those parts that you need.
Once you have a metacello configuration for your app that loads upstream projects automatically, it's a breeze.

I haven't seen good tools to strip an image though (like the runtime packager of VW). So I'm also interested to hear if anybody does that.

ScriptLoader new cleanUpForRelease.

grrr sorry, cleanUpForProduction

could be the first step

[...]

Lukas Renggli wrote
> 1.2.2-12353)

That is a known problem
I started with PharoCore 1.2.2 and evaluated (without error):
(ConfigurationOfSeaside30 project version: #stable)
        load: 'Base';
        load: 'Kom';
        load: 'Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche'.

What do you think of this approach?