Which version should I be using? :)

Brian Brown-2
Hey all!

Currently I'm using Seaside2.7a1-mb.215, but I see lot's of fixes in
Magritte and Scriptaculous... many relating to 2.8. Is 2.8 ready to
use? And also, what is the 2.7b1?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian

Re: Which version should I be using? :)

Nevin Pratt
Brian Brown wrote:

> Hey all!
>
> Currently I'm using Seaside2.7a1-mb.215, but I see lot's of fixes in
> Magritte and Scriptaculous... many relating to 2.8. Is 2.8 ready to
> use? And also, what is the 2.7b1?
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Brian

To follow up with Brian's request:

Note that GemStone ported version 2.6.  So, if you are planning on using
GemStone/Seaside, I would think you probably should use 2.6.

And, I would think an already built Squeak image would be best, like
what is found on http://www.seaside.st

That being said, my own "guess" as to the proper image would be the
'seaside-2.6.zip' package found at:

   http://www.seaside.st/Download/Images/

But, I would be very interested  in hearing other folk's opinions, also.

Nevin

RE: Which version should I be using? :)

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
I imagine with built-in support for Monticello, GemStone should be able
to keep up-to-date with most recent versions of Seaside, just like
Michel keeps VisualWorks ports fresh.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi Nevin,

        I don't like pre built images too much. I build my own every time I
need customizing a stable release of a Squeak image with an installer script
that loads exactly what I ask for. Currently I'm using 3.9 and Seaside
2.7a1-mb.205 well so far.

        cheers,

Sebastian

One reason I tend to prefer pre-built images is under the assumption that it would be one of the more stable versions (otherwise why prebuild it?).  For a real production site, stability is paramount.

Of course, this assumption is also based on the assumption that the person doing the prebuilding is very deeply involved in Squeak/Seaside, at least enough so that their opinions on how to build a stable Squeak/Seaside are reasonably good.

Nevin

Hi Nevin,

	I don't like pre built images too much. I build my own every time I
need customizing a stable release of a Squeak image with an installer script
that loads exactly what I ask for. Currently I'm using 3.9 and Seaside
2.7a1-mb.205 well so far.

	cheers,

Sebastian

Re: Which version should I be using? :)

Lukas Renggli
We would be grateful if people could also start using Seaside 2.8 to
give feedback and to find and report bugs. I don't say it is stable
yet, but I use it successfully for several productive applications
already, so it can't be too bad.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Which version should I be using? :)

Philippe Marschall
Just remember to load Seaside 2.8 into a fresh image and don't upgrade
from an image with 2.7 in it.

Cheers
Philippe

2007/5/10, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:

> We would be grateful if people could also start using Seaside 2.8 to
> give feedback and to find and report bugs. I don't say it is stable
> yet, but I use it successfully for several productive applications
> already, so it can't be too bad.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: Which version should I be using? :)

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
I know I'd give it a whirl, but my life is in Michel's hands, so unless
he provides one for VisualWorks I can't be of much help. I'm using his
latest 2.7 version and it's been great so far.

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Michel Bany

On 10 May 2007, at 18:55 , Brian Brown wrote:

> And also, what is the 2.7b1?

This is just a milestone in the 2.7 version. It was done previously
with 2.5 and 2.6, almost a tradition.
I'm not sure but it may be some way to mark a version as stable.
I created this milestone to mark the first VW version of 2.7.

So to answer your question, 2.7b1 is the version to use.

HTH
Michel.

On 10 May 2007, at 21:14 , Boris Popov wrote:

> I know I'd give it a whirl, but my life is in Michel's hands,

I guess and hope this is a bit exagerated.

> so unless he provides one for VisualWorks I can't be of much help.

I will see what I can do, may be put 2.8 parcels somewhere
as a preview. Seaside 2.8 might be breaking some of the add-ons
that are on the public store.

> I'm using his latest 2.7 version and it's been great so far.

Thanks for the feedback

Michel.

Re: Which version should I be using? :)

Damien Cassou-3
2007/5/10, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> We would be grateful if people could also start using Seaside 2.8 to
> give feedback and to find and report bugs. I don't say it is stable
> yet, but I use it successfully for several productive applications
> already, so it can't be too bad.

squeak-web-beta images are based on Seaside 2.8. However, it's a
pretty old version of seaside. Can I upgrade to the last version? If
yes, I'll create a new image.

Bye

--
Damien Cassou

2007/5/13, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
> 2007/5/10, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> > We would be grateful if people could also start using Seaside 2.8 to
> > give feedback and to find and report bugs. I don't say it is stable
> > yet, but I use it successfully for several productive applications
> > already, so it can't be too bad.
>
> squeak-web-beta images are based on Seaside 2.8. However, it's a
> pretty old version of seaside. Can I upgrade to the last version? If
> yes, I'll create a new image.

Yes but there are several things to keep in mind:
- some things we will be broken. we have produtive applications
running it so most things work but that doesn't mean that a particular
feature you need will work, that's why we'd like people to have a look
at it.
- backtracking works differently, you have to implement #states (see examples)
- if you want session cookies subclass WACookieSession
- the old renderer is gone
- several deprecated methods are gone
- waframecomponent is gone

Cheers
Philippe

> Bye
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

Re: Which version should I be using? :)

Chun, Sungjin

Re: Which version should I be using? :)

Damien Cassou-3
2007/5/13, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
> 2007/5/10, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> > We would be grateful if people could also start using Seaside 2.8 to
> > give feedback and to find and report bugs. I don't say it is stable
> > yet, but I use it successfully for several productive applications
> > already, so it can't be too bad.
>
> squeak-web-beta images are based on Seaside 2.8. However, it's a
> pretty old version of seaside. Can I upgrade to the last version? If
> yes, I'll create a new image.

Done. Download squeak-web-beta-123 from
http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-web/beta/

--
Damien Cassou

[VW] 2.8a1 preview

Michel Bany
If anyone feels for it, I created VW parcels from Seaside 2.8a1-lr.323.
They can be found at ftp://ftp.bany.fr/seaside/
The parcels must be manually loaded in the following sequence.
SqueakBase
SeasideBase
SeasideForWebToolKit and/or SeasideForSwazoo
Enjoy,

Michel.

On 10 May 2007, at 20:23 , Lukas Renggli wrote:

> We would be grateful if people could also start using Seaside 2.8 to
> give feedback and to find and report bugs. I don't say it is stable
> yet, but I use it successfully for several productive applications
> already, so it can't be too bad.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [VW] 2.8a1 preview

Philippe Marschall
Seaside 2.8 in a nutshell:
- a lot of deprecated methods are gone, so get rig of them first
- #states is used to backtrack objects instead of
#registerObjectForBacktracking:, see implementers of #states for
examples. We removed #registerObjectForBacktracking: this makes it
easier to spot the places where you need to implement #states but
impossible to write code that works on both 2.7 and 2.8. Maybe we
could find a solution similar to the deprecation api that throws an
exception only in development mode.

We would be interested in your findings about memory usage, rendering
times and callback times.

Have fun!

Cheers
Philippe