While we wait...

Esteban A. Maringolo-2
Hello Andy, Blair, folks,

        One of the big wondering I have about D6 is how will be the
"resources" (aka Views) stored/defined, using a binary object (like
in D5)? or a literal specification (ala VW/VAST)?

        Thank you.

ps: This post should be here or in comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin?

Best regards

--
Esteban.

Re: While we wait...

Andy Bower-3
Esteban,

> One of the big wondering I have about D6 is how will be the
> "resources" (aka Views) stored/defined, using a binary object (like
> in D5)? or a literal specification (ala VW/VAST)?

It's certainly of the things we would ike to have done but it seems to
get pushed to the bottom of the list. So, at the moment, D6 still uses
STB for the view resources.

> ps: This post should be here or in comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin?

This seems like a good enough place for the question.

Best regards

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
www.object-arts.com

Re: While we wait...

Osvaldo Aufiero-4
Andy, What about sockets?

I have read that sockets connection would be completely rewritten, will it
be like that?
Will you use shynchronous sockets?

"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> escribió en el mensaje
news:[hidden email]...

> Esteban,
>
> > One of the big wondering I have about D6 is how will be the
> > "resources" (aka Views) stored/defined, using a binary object (like
> > in D5)? or a literal specification (ala VW/VAST)?
>
> It's certainly of the things we would ike to have done but it seems to
> get pushed to the bottom of the list. So, at the moment, D6 still uses
> STB for the view resources.
>
> > ps: This post should be here or in comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin?
>
> This seems like a good enough place for the question.
>
> Best regards
>
> Andy Bower
> Dolphin Support
> www.object-arts.com

Re: While we wait...

Andy Bower-3
Osvaldo,

> I have read that sockets connection would be completely rewritten,
> will it be like that?
> Will you use shynchronous sockets?

Yes, there is a new "Dolphin Sockets" (Socket2) package that uses the
synchronous calls. The interface is slightly different (easier) from
the old "Socket Connection" (Socket) package so the latter is retained
for compatibility.

We've used this with adapted versions of the Swazoo web server and
Steve Warings's HTTPClient and it works very well.

Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
www.object-arts.com

Re: While we wait...

Esteban A. Maringolo-2
Andy Bower escribió:
>>I have read that sockets connection would be completely rewritten,
>>will it be like that?
>>Will you use shynchronous sockets?
> Yes, there is a new "Dolphin Sockets" (Socket2) package that uses the
> synchronous calls. The interface is slightly different (easier) from
> the old "Socket Connection" (Socket) package so the latter is retained
> for compatibility.

Name clashing between Socket and Socket2?

> We've used this with adapted versions of the Swazoo web server and
> Steve Warings's HTTPClient and it works very well.

I can't wait any longer... :-)
Not the only one, i guess.

--
Esteban.