Who is maintaining of Artefact?

Alejandro Infante
Hi!
I would like to explore having support for Unicode characters. I want to help for it.

Who is the right person to talk about it?

Cheers!
Alejandro

Re: Who is maintaining of Artefact?

CyrilFerlicot
Le 11/09/2017 à 21:03, Alejandro Infante a écrit :
> Hi!
> I would like to explore having support for Unicode characters. I want to help for it.
>
> Who is the right person to talk about it?

Hi,

Artefact was originally created by Guillaume Larcheveque and Olivier
Auverlot. But I don't know if they have time to maintain it.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Who is maintaining of Artefact?

Olivier Auverlot
Hi Alejandro,

There are no activities in the Artefact project because it does what we need. Of course, if you want explore the world of Unicode, you can do it. We are interested :)

Best regards
Olivier

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Who is maintaining of Artefact?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Yes please go ahead. One of these days I will have a look at the
templating because with cocoon I have made a prototype based look up
that can be applied instead of having one.

Stef

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 9:17 PM, olivier auverlot
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alejandro,
>
> There are no activities in the Artefact project because it does what we
> need. Of course, if you want explore the world of Unicode, you can do it. We
> are interested :)
>
> Best regards
> Olivier

>> Le 11/09/2017 à 21:03, Alejandro Infante a écrit :
>> > Hi!
>> > I would like to explore having support for Unicode characters. I want to
>> > help for it.
>> >
>> > Who is the right person to talk about it?
>> >

>> Hi,
>>
>> Artefact was originally created by Guillaume Larcheveque and Olivier
>> Auverlot. But I don't know if they have time to maintain it.
>>
>> > Cheers!
>> > Alejandro
>> >

>> --
>> Cyril Ferlicot
>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>
>> http://www.synectique.eu
>> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
>> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Alejandro

Re: Who is maintaining of Artefact?

Hannes Hirzel
Looks like a worthwhile exercise

PDFTalk https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php

"The syntax is covered comprehensively, which means that any PDF file
can be read and any PDF object can be written in a conforming way.

Typical PDF objects are dictionaries of which many are specialized as
Smalltalk objects.

The library code is annotated with the original descriptions and
definitions from the specification, so that learning about PDF itself
is well supported. "

I wonder what the main issues would be  when porting this to Pharo.

--Hannes

On 9/12/17, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is also PDFTalk from Christian Haider
> https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php.
> But it needs to be ported into Pharo.

> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi!
>> I would like to explore having support for Unicode characters. I want to
>> help for it.
>>
>> Who is the right person to talk about it?
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Alejandro

Re: Who is maintaining of Artefact?

Denis Kudriashov
Look at slides PDFtalk for Gemstone from last ESUG about porting it to Gemstone (which is done).
Maybe it is similar as porting GLORP into Pharo. Somebody can comment on this process.

Looks like a worthwhile exercise

PDFTalk https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php

"The syntax is covered comprehensively, which means that any PDF file
can be read and any PDF object can be written in a conforming way.

Typical PDF objects are dictionaries of which many are specialized as
Smalltalk objects.

The library code is annotated with the original descriptions and
definitions from the specification, so that learning about PDF itself
is well supported. "

I wonder what the main issues would be  when porting this to Pharo.

--Hannes

On 9/12/17, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There is also PDFTalk from Christian Haider
> https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php.
> But it needs to be ported into Pharo.

> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi!
>> I would like to explore having support for Unicode characters. I want to
>> help for it.
>>
>> Who is the right person to talk about it?
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Alejandro

Re: Who is maintaining of Artefact?

Christian Haider

Moin,

the port is almost done. Then I will add documentation and publish the code under MIT licence.

Including the code used to port the library from VW to Gemstone using a novel approach.

The heard of the “PDF engine” is the type system which allows the assignment of Smalltalk classes to raw PDF objects.

In the new version, the PDF types are decoupled from the Smalltalk classes, so that classes can be renamed freely (i.e. adding prefixes).

I think that porting the new version to Pharo (and VA and …) has gotten much easier.

I hope that someone would take the challenge J.

Cheers,

                Christian

Look at slides PDFtalk for Gemstone from last ESUG about porting it to Gemstone (which is done).

Maybe it is similar as porting GLORP into Pharo. Somebody can comment on this process.

Looks like a worthwhile exercise

PDFTalk https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php

"The syntax is covered comprehensively, which means that any PDF file
can be read and any PDF object can be written in a conforming way.

Typical PDF objects are dictionaries of which many are specialized as
Smalltalk objects.

The library code is annotated with the original descriptions and
definitions from the specification, so that learning about PDF itself
is well supported. "

I wonder what the main issues would be  when porting this to Pharo.

--Hannes

On 9/12/17, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is also PDFTalk from Christian Haider
> https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php.
> But it needs to be ported into Pharo.

> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi!
>> I would like to explore having support for Unicode characters. I want to
>> help for it.
>>
>> Who is the right person to talk about it?
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Alejandro

Re: Who is maintaining of Artefact?

Denis Kudriashov
Hi Christian.

Moin,

the port is almost done. Then I will add documentation and publish the code under MIT licence.

Cool. And code repo is not public yet?

Including the code used to port the library from VW to Gemstone using a novel approach.

The heard of the “PDF engine” is the type system which allows the assignment of Smalltalk classes to raw PDF objects.

In the new version, the PDF types are decoupled from the Smalltalk classes, so that classes can be renamed freely (i.e. adding prefixes).

I think that porting the new version to Pharo (and VA and …) has gotten much easier.

I hope that someone would take the challenge J.

Definitely

Cheers,

                Christian

Look at slides PDFtalk for Gemstone from last ESUG about porting it to Gemstone (which is done).

Maybe it is similar as porting GLORP into Pharo. Somebody can comment on this process.

Looks like a worthwhile exercise

PDFTalk https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php

"The syntax is covered comprehensively, which means that any PDF file
can be read and any PDF object can be written in a conforming way.

Typical PDF objects are dictionaries of which many are specialized as
Smalltalk objects.

The library code is annotated with the original descriptions and
definitions from the specification, so that learning about PDF itself
is well supported. "

I wonder what the main issues would be  when porting this to Pharo.

--Hannes

On 9/12/17, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is also PDFTalk from Christian Haider
> https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php.
> But it needs to be ported into Pharo.

> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi!
>> I would like to explore having support for Unicode characters. I want to
>> help for it.
>>
>> Who is the right person to talk about it?
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Alejandro

the port is almost done. Then I will add documentation and publish the code under MIT licence.

Cool. And code repo is not public yet?

No, still in private store. I will publish it to Cincom’s public store when I am ready.

If you want to have a look, I could tell you privately where my store is…

Including the code used to port the library from VW to Gemstone using a novel approach.

The heard of the “PDF engine” is the type system which allows the assignment of Smalltalk classes to raw PDF objects.

In the new version, the PDF types are decoupled from the Smalltalk classes, so that classes can be renamed freely (i.e. adding prefixes).

I think that porting the new version to Pharo (and VA and …) has gotten much easier.

I hope that someone would take the challenge J.

Definitely

Cheers,

                Christian

Look at slides PDFtalk for Gemstone from last ESUG about porting it to Gemstone (which is done).

Maybe it is similar as porting GLORP into Pharo. Somebody can comment on this process.

Looks like a worthwhile exercise

PDFTalk https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php

"The syntax is covered comprehensively, which means that any PDF file
can be read and any PDF object can be written in a conforming way.

Typical PDF objects are dictionaries of which many are specialized as
Smalltalk objects.

The library code is annotated with the original descriptions and
definitions from the specification, so that learning about PDF itself
is well supported. "

I wonder what the main issues would be  when porting this to Pharo.

--Hannes

On 9/12/17, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is also PDFTalk from Christian Haider
> https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php.
> But it needs to be ported into Pharo.

> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi!
>> I would like to explore having support for Unicode characters. I want to
>> help for it.
>>
>> Who is the right person to talk about it?
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Alejandro

Re: Who is maintaining of Artefact?

Stephane Ducasse-3
super!

Stef

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 11:38 AM, Christian Haider
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Moin,
>

> the port is almost done. Then I will add documentation and publish the code
> under MIT licence.
>

> Including the code used to port the library from VW to Gemstone using a
> novel approach.
>

> The heard of the “PDF engine” is the type system which allows the assignment
> of Smalltalk classes to raw PDF objects.
>
> In the new version, the PDF types are decoupled from the Smalltalk classes,
> so that classes can be renamed freely (i.e. adding prefixes).
>

> I think that porting the new version to Pharo (and VA and …) has gotten much
> easier.
>
> I hope that someone would take the challenge J.
>

> Cheers,
>
>                 Christian

Ben Coman

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Christian Haider <[hidden email]> wrote:

Moin,

the port is almost done. Then I will add documentation and publish the code under MIT licence.

Including the code used to port the library from VW to Gemstone using a novel approach.

The heard of the “PDF engine” is the type system which allows the assignment of Smalltalk classes to raw PDF objects.

In the new version, the PDF types are decoupled from the Smalltalk classes, so that classes can be renamed freely (i.e. adding prefixes).

Thats great news Christian.  Pharo's lack of namespaces and your desire to avoid prefixing classes made me wonder how to keep VW and Pharo ports synchronised - which added friction to my minor attempt to port it to Pharo.

I think that porting the new version to Pharo (and VA and …) has gotten much easier.

I hope that someone would take the challenge J.

I'm busy with other things for a while, but I'll add it back on my list of things to look at.

cheers -ben

Cheers,

                Christian

Look at slides PDFtalk for Gemstone from last ESUG about porting it to Gemstone (which is done).

Maybe it is similar as porting GLORP into Pharo. Somebody can comment on this process.

Looks like a worthwhile exercise

PDFTalk https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php

"The syntax is covered comprehensively, which means that any PDF file
can be read and any PDF object can be written in a conforming way.

Typical PDF objects are dictionaries of which many are specialized as
Smalltalk objects.

The library code is annotated with the original descriptions and
definitions from the specification, so that learning about PDF itself
is well supported. "

I wonder what the main issues would be  when porting this to Pharo.

--Hannes

On 9/12/17, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is also PDFTalk from Christian Haider
> https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php.
> But it needs to be ported into Pharo.

> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi!
>> I would like to explore having support for Unicode characters. I want to
>> help for it.
>>
>> Who is the right person to talk about it?
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Alejandro

Re: Who is maintaining of Artefact?

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 12-09-17 11:11, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
 > Maybe it is similar as porting GLORP into Pharo. Somebody can comment
on this process.

The important point is that the original code is in another dialect, and
the idea is not to fork, as the original maintainer develops it further.
That means that it is not a one-time translation, but is a set of
transformation rules and platform specific packages that is applied
every time something changes on either side.

Stephan

Re: Who is maintaining of Artefact?

Christian Haider
> von Stephan Eggermont
>
> On 12-09-17 11:11, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
>  > Maybe it is similar as porting GLORP into Pharo. Somebody can comment
> on this process.
>
> The important point is that the original code is in another dialect, and the idea
> is not to fork, as the original maintainer develops it further.
> That means that it is not a one-time translation, but is a set of transformation
> rules and platform specific packages that is applied every time something
> changes on either side.

Stefan, you are good :-)!

Exactly! The full code transformation from VW to GS is described as a value, which gets interpreted by a generic code fileout machine.
A new version of the GS fileout can be generated at any time without human intervention.
A SystemChange (the name of the value class) could be interpreted in different ways.

Currently, the transform is one way from VW to GS.

I am very interested in changes people may do to the library, but for now, I will keep the master in VW and integrate contributions by hand.
I am sure that, if the need arises, there will be a way to deal with a two-way synchronization. But let's have a contribution first :-)

Christian

Re: Who is maintaining of Artefact?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Christian

I'm interested by the transformation code since last year we did a
migration and made sure that we can migrate again the code of Mobydic
an open-source simulation system.
The logic of our approach is in store NGFileouter or something like that.