Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

12

Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

Damien Cassou-2
For my CV, I need to know who is using the stuff I'm doing. If you use
the Pharo Launcher, could you please tell me in which context (e.g.,
which company, open-source project) and what you use it for (e.g.,
download from CI, standard Pharo)?

I don't need long paragraphs, just give me the keywords please.

Thanks

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

Tudor Girba-2
I use it for writing documentation and blog posts.

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

> On 20 Feb 2016, at 11:49, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For my CV, I need to know who is using the stuff I'm doing. If you use
> the Pharo Launcher, could you please tell me in which context (e.g.,
> which company, open-source project) and what you use it for (e.g.,
> download from CI, standard Pharo)?
>
> I don't need long paragraphs, just give me the keywords please.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

Peter Uhnak

I use it as primary go-to for organizing my images (although for some images created by the launcher I have direct shortcuts in PATH);
Apart from downloading latest Pharo I also use the Jenkins Templates to download Moose builds.

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
For my CV, I need to know who is using the stuff I'm doing. If you use
the Pharo Launcher, could you please tell me in which context (e.g.,
which company, open-source project) and what you use it for (e.g.,
download from CI, standard Pharo)?

I don't need long paragraphs, just give me the keywords please.

Thanks

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

CyrilFerlicot
Le 20/02/2016 11:49, Damien Cassou a écrit :
> For my CV, I need to know who is using the stuff I'm doing. If you use
> the Pharo Launcher, could you please tell me in which context (e.g.,
> which company, open-source project) and what you use it for (e.g.,
> download from CI, standard Pharo)?
>
> I don't need long paragraphs, just give me the keywords please.
>
> Thanks

Hi,

Myself and some people from Synectique use it to download and manage
images from Pharo, Moose and Synectique's CI.

--
Cyril

Re: Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 20-02-16 11:49, Damien Cassou wrote:
> For my CV, I need to know who is using the stuff I'm doing. If you use
> the Pharo Launcher, could you please tell me in which context (e.g.,
> which company, open-source project) and what you use it for (e.g.,
> download from CI, standard Pharo)?

I use PharoLauncher all the time, on Mac and Linux.

When fixing an issue, it provides an easy way to get the latest image,
make a change or review a slice, or test a metacello configuration

I use company project images, pharo-contribution (seaside, qcmagritte)
and moose (petitdelphi) CI images

Stephan

Re: [Pharo-users] Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

Damien Cassou-2
On February 20, 2016 1:33:10 PM GMT+01:00, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I use it for writing documentation and blog posts.
>
>Doru
>
>--
>www.tudorgirba.com
>
>"Every thing has its own flow"
>
>> On 20 Feb 2016, at 11:49, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>> For my CV, I need to know who is using the stuff I'm doing. If you
>use
>> the Pharo Launcher, could you please tell me in which context (e.g.,
>> which company, open-source project) and what you use it for (e.g.,
>> download from CI, standard Pharo)?
>>
>> I don't need long paragraphs, just give me the keywords please.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>> losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Please all also tell me the company in which you work
--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

Ben Coman
PharoLauncher is the my primary entry point to Pharo.  I now feel
awkward starting Pharo any other way.  It makes is cheap to create and
manage throw away images when tackling multiple issues from the
tracker.

The critical thing is the _single_step_ to download the most recent
numeric build to an image named CaseX-buildM.  Then to try another
approach, CaseXb-buildM is created from the _local_ cache.  It cheap
to have two images, one original and one loaded with someone else's
slice loaded and trace the two in parallel.

Its our only tool that makes it feasible to bisect when a problem was
introduced, by creating a *fresh* images from the local template image
cache. Its easy to manage over 100 images, then cull them back in
large groups when redundant.

Company: private enthusiast Pharo community

cheers -ben

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For my CV, I need to know who is using the stuff I'm doing. If you use
> the Pharo Launcher, could you please tell me in which context (e.g.,
> which company, open-source project) and what you use it for (e.g.,
> download from CI, standard Pharo)?
>
> I don't need long paragraphs, just give me the keywords please.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

stepharo
All the time to organise my 1000 images :)

Le 20/2/16 11:49, Damien Cassou a écrit :
> For my CV, I need to know who is using the stuff I'm doing. If you use
> the Pharo Launcher, could you please tell me in which context (e.g.,
> which company, open-source project) and what you use it for (e.g.,
> download from CI, standard Pharo)?
>
> I don't need long paragraphs, just give me the keywords please.
>
> Thanks

Re: Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

SergeStinckwich
On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For my CV, I need to know who is using the stuff I'm doing. If you use
> the Pharo Launcher, could you please tell me in which context (e.g.,
> which company, open-source project) and what you use it for (e.g.,
> download from CI, standard Pharo)?
>
> I don't need long paragraphs, just give me the keywords please.

PharoLauncher is the cornerstone of my workflow in order to manage all
my Pharo images.
I'm using it everyday for the CORMAS, SciSmalltalk, Kendrick and A4BP
projects in order to download new images from the CI.
Thank you Damien.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

Jigyasa Grover
Using Pharo Launcher on Ubuntu for managing images.

Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> writes:

> I use it for writing documentation and blog posts.

what is the relationship between Pharo Launcher and your documentation
and blog posts?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: [Pharo-users] Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Sorry, I mixed the threads and I replied by mistake to the wrong one. The reply should have been for the Pillar question :)

Cheers,
Doru

> On Feb 22, 2016, at 2:03 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I use it for writing documentation and blog posts.
>
> what is the relationship between Pharo Launcher and your documentation
> and blog posts?
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

Alain Rastoul-2
On 20/02/2016 11:49, Damien Cassou wrote:
> For my CV, I need to know who is using the stuff I'm doing. If you use
> the Pharo Launcher, could you please tell me in which context (e.g.,
> which company, open-source project) and what you use it for (e.g.,
> download from CI, standard Pharo)?
>
> I don't need long paragraphs, just give me the keywords please.
>
> Thanks

I use PharoLauncher whenever I launch Pharo for personal developments,
mainly on linux and sometimes on windows.
I download from CI.
it really helps dealing with several Pharo images, an invaluable tool.

--

Alain

Re: Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 20-02-16 11:49, Damien Cassou wrote:
> I don't need long paragraphs, just give me the keywords please.

Today I triaged a bug in CodePanel by downloading image versions 50600
50590 50595 50597 and 50596 and installing NewUI from the catalog
browser to find out that it was broken by a change in 50596. With
PharoLauncher it took me about 5 minutes, just long enough to wonder if
I should automate this further, and just short enough to not bother.

Stephan

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 7:38 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
> With PharoLauncher it took me about 5 minutes,

> just long enough to wonder if I should automate this
> further, and just short enough to not bother.

Two useful references to consider...
https://xkcd.com/1205/
https://xkcd.com/1319/

cheers -ben

I wrote a bash script for such situations https://github.com/peteruhnak/pharo-scripts/blob/master/bin/get-image so I can easily script it from bash. Plus I do such experiments in ramdisk so I don't need to bother will deleting them because it gets autocleaned.

> I don't need long paragraphs, just give me the keywords please.

Today I triaged a bug in CodePanel by downloading image versions 50600
50590 50595 50597 and 50596 and installing NewUI from the catalog
browser to find out that it was broken by a change in 50596. With
PharoLauncher it took me about 5 minutes, just long enough to wonder if
I should automate this further, and just short enough to not bother.

Stephan

Re: Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

laurent laffont

PharoLauncher is my main entry point for creating / managing / launching Pharo images. I work at AFI and use Pharo for application monitoring & Redmine bug tracker analysis.

Laurent

Damien Cassou http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Who is using Pharo Launcher and for what

Guillaume Larcheveque
I'm using it like Cyril said