Whom do I contact?

bobcalco
I am interested in exploring both charity and commercial licensing of GemStone/S 64-bit, above and beyond what's available for the free community versions, but sales@gemstone.com bounces back (since the apparently recent acquisition of GemStone by VMWare).

I don't see GemStone anywhere in VMWare's public site, so apparently the process is incomplete (or I just missed something). In the meantime, whom do I contact?

I am relatively new to Smalltalk but determined to make the switch as I love the language already, having come from the Ruby/Rails/J2EE/.NET worlds looking for 'something better still.' I think I've found it in Smalltalk, but am still trying to decide which set of technologies within that world to settle on and master. I want eventually to be part of the community and help advance the state of the art. Smalltalk seems to inhabit a space between two worlds -- the past and the future -- and I don't think it's best contributions are in the past, yet.

I love parts of both Seaside and Aida/Web. I really admire the work the CinCom folks have put into VW, and they have been very responsive to my needs with respect to the charity for whom I work. GemStone looks incredible and has an important feature I desire -- especially the ability to connect remotely and 'do stuff' and a transparent object database built-in. Dolphin and MT have really taken Smalltalk concepts deeply into the Windows OS, with great effect. Squeak and Pharo have upped the open-source, cross-platform Smalltalk ante quite a bit. I don't view any of them as mutually exclusive, but as mutually additive. I've tried to grasp them all.

But there are a lot of confusing permutations of choices and at the end of the day right now my remit is to build a fairly complex distributed system for a cash-strapped charity in the UK whose IT is in shambles. I have one deployment server (at the moment) with 4 cores, half a terabyte of space, and 8 GB of RAM. I want to fully utilize it to deliver the best software I know how.

So, that's my situation. Any pointers welcome. :)

- Bob

Re: Whom do I contact?

James Foster-8
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your persistence in pursuing this. I believe it will pay off for you in exceptional ways.

Information about GemStone/S in general is available at http://gemstone.com/products/gemstone and about web usage at http://seaside.gemstone.com/. The latter site, in particular, has links to a number of resources, including blogs with training material. If you are getting started with Seaside, I recommend my tutorial (http://seaside.gemstone.com/tutorial.html) with accompanying videos (http://programminggems.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/videos-learning-web-development-with-seaside/). If you want an introduction to GemStone/S, I recommend a five-part video series (http://programminggems.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/smalltalks-2/). If you want to learn more about the GemStone/S architecture, I recommend the videos at http://programminggems.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/scaling-objects-videos/. As you get into the details of GemStone/S and Seaside, Dale's blog (http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/) and at the glassdb site (http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/) are the best sites for current information. Note that while most of the discussion is about Seaside, GemStone/S also has good support for Aida/Web.

As to pricing, see http://seaside.gemstone.com/docs/GLASS-Announcement.htm. Some time ago Dale did some benchmarks (http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/scaling-seaside-with-gemstones) showing that the no-cost license can handle a couple dozen requests per second. My guess is that this will be more than adequate for your needs. If you want to discuss other licenses, let us know and someone will contact you privately.

Otherwise, this is the right forum for these discussions. Let us know how you progress in your project.

-James

On Feb 1, 2012, at 2:27 AM, bobcalco wrote:

> I am interested in exploring both charity and commercial licensing of
> GemStone/S 64-bit, above and beyond what's available for the free community
> versions, but [hidden email] bounces back (since the apparently recent
> acquisition of GemStone by VMWare).
>
> I don't see GemStone anywhere in VMWare's public site, so apparently the
> process is incomplete (or I just missed something). In the meantime, whom do
> I contact?
>
> I am relatively new to Smalltalk but determined to make the switch as I love
> the language already, having come from the Ruby/Rails/J2EE/.NET worlds
> looking for 'something better still.' I think I've found it in Smalltalk,
> but am still trying to decide which set of technologies within that world to
> settle on and master. I want eventually to be part of the community and help
> advance the state of the art. Smalltalk seems to inhabit a space between two
> worlds -- the past and the future -- and I don't think it's best
> contributions are in the past, yet.
>
> I love parts of both Seaside and Aida/Web. I really admire the work the
> CinCom folks have put into VW, and they have been very responsive to my
> needs with respect to the charity for whom I work. GemStone looks incredible
> and has an important feature I desire -- especially the ability to connect
> remotely and 'do stuff' and a transparent object database built-in. Dolphin
> and MT have really taken Smalltalk concepts deeply into the Windows OS, with
> great effect. Squeak and Pharo have upped the open-source, cross-platform
> Smalltalk ante quite a bit. I don't view any of them as mutually exclusive,
> but as mutually additive. I've tried to grasp them all.
>
> But there are a lot of confusing permutations of choices and at the end of
> the day right now my remit is to build a fairly complex distributed system
> for a cash-strapped charity in the UK whose IT is in shambles. I have one
> deployment server (at the moment) with 4 cores, half a terabyte of space,
> and 8 GB of RAM. I want to fully utilize it to deliver the best software I
> know how.
>
> So, that's my situation. Any pointers welcome. :)
>
> - Bob

Re: Whom do I contact?

Kjell Godo
I would like to use GLASS on Linux but I don't know much about Linux.
Can anyone point me at a book or something about Linux that would help
me with setting up GLASS?  I need to get going with Linux but I don't
know where to turn.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:25 AM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> remotely and 'do stuff' and a transparent object database built-in. Dolphin
>> and MT have really taken Smalltalk concepts deeply into the Windows OS, with
>> great effect. Squeak and Pharo have upped the open-source, cross-platform
>> Smalltalk ante quite a bit. I don't view any of them as mutually exclusive,
>> but as mutually additive. I've tried to grasp them all.
>>
>> But there are a lot of confusing permutations of choices and at the end of
>> the day right now my remit is to build a fairly complex distributed system
>> for a cash-strapped charity in the UK whose IT is in shambles. I have one
>> deployment server (at the moment) with 4 cores, half a terabyte of space,
>> and 8 GB of RAM. I want to fully utilize it to deliver the best software I
>> know how.
>>
>> So, that's my situation. Any pointers welcome. :)

Re: Whom do I contact?

Steve Wart-2
Your best bet is to check out the Ubuntu forums. They have extensive documentation and the GLASS appliance works "out of the box" under Ubuntu.

Having said that, Linux is a complex operating system and the learning curve is steep and long. You might want to consider a system administration course (either online or at a community college).

Hope this helps.

Steve

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Kjell Godo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> remotely and 'do stuff' and a transparent object database built-in. Dolphin
>> and MT have really taken Smalltalk concepts deeply into the Windows OS, with
>> great effect. Squeak and Pharo have upped the open-source, cross-platform
>> Smalltalk ante quite a bit. I don't view any of them as mutually exclusive,
>> but as mutually additive. I've tried to grasp them all.
>>
>> But there are a lot of confusing permutations of choices and at the end of
>> the day right now my remit is to build a fairly complex distributed system
>> for a cash-strapped charity in the UK whose IT is in shambles. I have one
>> deployment server (at the moment) with 4 cores, half a terabyte of space,
>> and 8 GB of RAM. I want to fully utilize it to deliver the best software I
>> know how.
>>
>> So, that's my situation. Any pointers welcome. :)

Re: Whom do I contact?

bobcalco
Thanks, James.

I have been watching your videos and trying to wrap my head around installing GemStone free edition on the dedicated Ubuntu server we have. I am concerned about the limitations of the free edition and the complexity involved in configuration.

I would like to be contacted about licensing alternatives, if only to know what scaling costs. Do you have charity pricing to help non-profits afford good architectural decisions? I want this to be a win, but don't have the wallet I'm used to in the commercial world.

I'm trying to build a central data service to help bring the disparate IT solutions of the charity's various (and variously affiliated) global offices into alignment. I envision each center would have its own server to service a local LAN, and given how small they tend to be, I'd worry less about the free appliance, even, for local offices, as long as I could get it to sync periodically with the central service for that subset of charity-wide data relevant to it.

Anyway... I'd be happy to chat with somebody about what I'm trying to do to see if there isn't something that we can afford. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

- Bob

Re: Whom do I contact?

James Foster-8
Bob,

Someone will contact you privately about the pricing options but in preparation for that discussion you should probably be able to articulate your concerns about the limitations of the free edition. Are you planning to build a web application? Are you concerned about the number of CPUs? How many HTTP requests per second do you anticipate? More than 20? Do you expect to have more than 300 users clicking the submit button every 15 seconds? Or 100 users with an AJAX interaction every 5 seconds? How much data do you expect to have?

As to the distributed architecture, having a database for each region would simplify some things but complicate others. What type of data would you expect to sync periodically?

James

On Feb 1, 2012, at 11:59 PM, bobcalco wrote:

> Thanks, James.
>
> I have been watching your videos and trying to wrap my head around
> installing GemStone free edition on the dedicated Ubuntu server we have. I
> am concerned about the limitations of the free edition and the complexity
> involved in configuration.
>
> I would like to be contacted about licensing alternatives, if only to know
> what scaling costs. Do you have charity pricing to help non-profits afford
> good architectural decisions? I want this to be a win, but don't have the
> wallet I'm used to in the commercial world.
>
> I'm trying to build a central data service to help bring the disparate IT
> solutions of the charity's various (and variously affiliated) global offices
> into alignment. I envision each center would have its own server to service
> a local LAN, and given how small they tend to be, I'd worry less about the
> free appliance, even, for local offices, as long as I could get it to sync
> periodically with the central service for that subset of charity-wide data
> relevant to it.
>
> Anyway... I'd be happy to chat with somebody about what I'm trying to do to
> see if there isn't something that we can afford. Maybe I'll be pleasantly
> surprised. :)
>
> - Bob

Re: Whom do I contact?

Dale Henrichs
James ...

Keep in mind that those figures that you are quoting about number of users etc. were primarily based on a 4GB extent limitation than on cpu limits, I think I have some discussion about that in the blog posts ...

Dale

| Someone will contact you privately about the pricing options but in
| preparation for that discussion you should probably be able to
| articulate your concerns about the limitations of the free edition.
| Are you planning to build a web application? Are you concerned about
| the number of CPUs? How many HTTP requests per second do you
| anticipate? More than 20? Do you expect to have more than 300 users
| clicking the submit button every 15 seconds? Or 100 users with an
| AJAX interaction every 5 seconds? How much data do you expect to
| have?
|
| As to the distributed architecture, having a database for each region
| would simplify some things but complicate others. What type of data
| would you expect to sync periodically?
|
| James
|
| On Feb 1, 2012, at 11:59 PM, bobcalco wrote:
|
| > Thanks, James.
| >
| > I have been watching your videos and trying to wrap my head around
| > installing GemStone free edition on the dedicated Ubuntu server we
| > have. I
| > am concerned about the limitations of the free edition and the
| > complexity
| > involved in configuration.
| >
| > I would like to be contacted about licensing alternatives, if only
| > to know
| > what scaling costs. Do you have charity pricing to help non-profits
| > afford
| > good architectural decisions? I want this to be a win, but don't
| > have the
| > wallet I'm used to in the commercial world.
| >
| > I'm trying to build a central data service to help bring the
| > disparate IT
| > solutions of the charity's various (and variously affiliated)
| > global offices
| > into alignment. I envision each center would have its own server to
| > service
| > a local LAN, and given how small they tend to be, I'd worry less
| > about the
| > free appliance, even, for local offices, as long as I could get it
| > to sync
| > periodically with the central service for that subset of
| > charity-wide data
| > relevant to it.
| >
| > Anyway... I'd be happy to chat with somebody about what I'm trying
| > to do to
| > see if there isn't something that we can afford. Maybe I'll be
| > pleasantly
| > surprised. :)
| >
| > - Bob

GLASS/Pharo Source Control

Larry Kellogg
Hello,
  I have a general question about source code control when using Pharo/GLASS.

  I develop most of my Pharo/Gemstone code on my laptop, a MacBook Air. It's fast,
is ready immediately, and allows me to debug problems quickly. I don't run Gemstone on
on it, however, just the Pharo one-click experience with Seaside.

  Now, I deploy to GLASS through files that I periodically save in Monticello. If I don't
integrate the file immediately, say MyProject.140.mcz (last integrated in Gemstone was 139),
and instead keep working and saving until MyProject.148.mcz, when I go to push changes into Gemstone, do I need
to look at files 141-147? I guess I'm not clear on how Monticello works.

  Also, I would like to be able to just blindly load Monticello files into Gemstone but I have
changed a bunch of the collection classes to use reduced conflict classes and those are
not present on the laptop, so I have to look at each individual change. Thanks for "source same but rev changed".

  Anyway, I'm sure there are better ways to control my source code. I miss Envy, with its
versioning and config maps.

  Regards,

  Larry

Re: Whom do I contact?

Kjell Godo
Thanks Steve

I was thinking about reading ( Linux for Dummies ) or one of the other
online books from the library.

Thanks for the Ubuntu forums idea and the community college idea.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM, Steve Wart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your best bet is to check out the Ubuntu forums. They have extensive
> documentation and the GLASS appliance works "out of the box" under Ubuntu.
>
> Having said that, Linux is a complex operating system and the learning curve
> is steep and long. You might want to consider a system administration course
> (either online or at a community college).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Steve
>

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Kjell Godo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to use GLASS on Linux but I don't know much about Linux.
>> Can anyone point me at a book or something about Linux that would help
>> me with setting up GLASS?  I need to get going with Linux but I don't
>> know where to turn.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:25 AM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Bob,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your persistence in pursuing this. I believe it will pay off
>> > for you in exceptional ways.
>> >
>> > Information about GemStone/S in general is available at
>> > http://gemstone.com/products/gemstone and about web usage at
>> > http://seaside.gemstone.com/. The latter site, in particular, has links to a
>> > number of resources, including blogs with training material. If you are
>> > getting started with Seaside, I recommend my tutorial
>> > (http://seaside.gemstone.com/tutorial.html) with accompanying videos
>> > (http://programminggems.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/videos-learning-web-development-with-seaside/).
>> > If you want an introduction to GemStone/S, I recommend a five-part video
>> > series (http://programminggems.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/smalltalks-2/). If
>> > you want to learn more about the GemStone/S architecture, I recommend the
>> > videos at
>> > http://programminggems.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/scaling-objects-videos/. As
>> > you get into the details of GemStone/S and Seaside, Dale's blog
>> > (http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/) and at the glassdb site
>> > (http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/) are the best sites for current
>> > information. Note that while most of the discussion is about Seaside,
>> > GemStone/S also has good support for Aida/Web.
>> >
>> > As to pricing, see
>> > http://seaside.gemstone.com/docs/GLASS-Announcement.htm. Some time ago Dale
>> > did some benchmarks
>> > (http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/scaling-seaside-with-gemstones)
>> > showing that the no-cost license can handle a couple dozen requests per
>> > second. My guess is that this will be more than adequate for your needs. If
>> > you want to discuss other licenses, let us know and someone will contact you
>> > privately.
>> >
>> > Otherwise, this is the right forum for these discussions. Let us know
>> > how you progress in your project.
>> >
>> > -James

Re: GLASS/Pharo Source Control

Dale Henrichs
Lawrence,

You want to learn and use Metacello[1] ... with Metacello you can define the load order of individual packages and specify dependencies on other project like Seaside and control what you want loaded ... You can also specify conditional loading of packages, so you can have a package that should only be loaded in Pharo and a package that should only be loaded in GemStone ...

I suggest you start learning and working with Metacello in Pharo. Metacello is pre-installed in GemStone, so first install Metacello in Pharo[2]. Also make sure the you follow the instructions to download the tutorial[3]

Open the Help Browser and navigate to 'ProfStef>>Browse tutorials' and you will see a couple of sections on metacello tutorial ... each Lesson has you browse a particular specification method (`ToolSet browse: ...` at top of lesson) and describes what you are looking at with occasional doits. I find running the tutorial in a workspace easier when sytax highlighting is installed ...

The tutorial should get you to the point where you are familiar with the basic concepts of Metacello ... after there are tons of ConfigurationOf classes to look at for inspiration, videos[4], a mailing list[5], and a 40+ page Draft of a Metacello chapter for Pharo By Example[6].

Dale

[1] http://code.google.com/p/metacello
[2] http://code.google.com/p/metacello/wiki/DownloadMetacello
[3] http://code.google.com/p/metacello/wiki/DownloadMetacello#Tutorial_&_API_Reference
[4] http://www.pharocasts.com/2010/07/monticello-and-metacello-introduction.html
[5] http://groups.google.com/group/metacello
[6] https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28462/Metacello.pdf
|   I have a general question about source code control when using
|   Pharo/GLASS.
|
|   I develop most of my Pharo/Gemstone code on my laptop, a MacBook
|   Air. It's fast,
| is ready immediately, and allows me to debug problems quickly. I
| don't run Gemstone on
| on it, however, just the Pharo one-click experience with Seaside.
|
|   Now, I deploy to GLASS through files that I periodically save in
|   Monticello. If I don't
| integrate the file immediately, say MyProject.140.mcz (last
| integrated in Gemstone was 139),
| and instead keep working and saving until MyProject.148.mcz, when I
| go to push changes into Gemstone, do I need
| to look at files 141-147? I guess I'm not clear on how Monticello
| works.
|
|   Also, I would like to be able to just blindly load Monticello files
|   into Gemstone but I have
| changed a bunch of the collection classes to use reduced conflict
| classes and those are
| not present on the laptop, so I have to look at each individual
| change. Thanks for "source same but rev changed".
|
|   Anyway, I'm sure there are better ways to control my source code. I
|   miss Envy, with its
| versioning and config maps.
|
|   Regards,
|
|   Larry

Re: GLASS/Pharo Source Control

Larry Kellogg
Dale,
  Thanks for your help, it is most appreciated! I confess to be having been confused by  Metacello and Monticello.
At times, I used to think one was a typo for the other. ;-) Now, I have a better handle on the situation. I'm definitely
going to have to build a configuration, as I'm getting a little lost in the complexity of my system.

  Regards,

  Larry

.

On Feb 3, 2012, at 12:27 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Lawrence,
>
> You want to learn and use Metacello[1] ... with Metacello you can define the load order of individual packages and specify dependencies on other project like Seaside and control what you want loaded ... You can also specify conditional loading of packages, so you can have a package that should only be loaded in Pharo and a package that should only be loaded in GemStone ...
>
> I suggest you start learning and working with Metacello in Pharo. Metacello is pre-installed in GemStone, so first install Metacello in Pharo[2]. Also make sure the you follow the instructions to download the tutorial[3]
>
> Open the Help Browser and navigate to 'ProfStef>>Browse tutorials' and you will see a couple of sections on metacello tutorial ... each Lesson has you browse a particular specification method (`ToolSet browse: ...` at top of lesson) and describes what you are looking at with occasional doits. I find running the tutorial in a workspace easier when sytax highlighting is installed ...
>
> The tutorial should get you to the point where you are familiar with the basic concepts of Metacello ... after there are tons of ConfigurationOf classes to look at for inspiration, videos[4], a mailing list[5], and a 40+ page Draft of a Metacello chapter for Pharo By Example[6].
>
> Dale
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/metacello
> [2] http://code.google.com/p/metacello/wiki/DownloadMetacello
> [3] http://code.google.com/p/metacello/wiki/DownloadMetacello#Tutorial_&_API_Reference
> [4] http://www.pharocasts.com/2010/07/monticello-and-metacello-introduction.html
> [5] http://groups.google.com/group/metacello
> [6] https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28462/Metacello.pdf

Paul DeBruicker
If you're creating a new configuration from scratch this blog post will probably help:

http://seandenigris.com/blog/?p=844