Why Amber? (and lets say.... AngularJS)

sebastianconcept
Hi guys,

I hope this get you doing great!

can you give me some ammunition?

In what Amber outperforms this claims?
http://java.dzone.com/articles/10-reasons-web-developers?page=0,0

Does Amber address those?

Thanks!

Re: Why Amber? (and lets say.... AngularJS)

Joe Shirk
That's a very interesting article. I can't wait to see the responses to this.

On Monday, March 17, 2014 9:01:40 PM UTC-3, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

can you give me some ammunition?

In what Amber outperforms this claims?

Re: Why Amber? (and lets say.... AngularJS)

kilon.alios
isn't Amber and AngularJS two things moving to opposite directions ?

Amber focusing on JS side while AngularJS on HTML side ?

On Mar 24, 2014, at 5:46 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

isn't Amber and AngularJS two things moving to opposite directions ?

Amber focusing on JS side while AngularJS on HTML side ?

well, that’s not the point.

Kick ass productivity is the point.

And easy collaboration with designers.

And snappy single page applications.

(the list is actually a bit longer, watch the first 10m of this presentation to know it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9MHigUZKEM)

I have no problem in going in a different direction than mainstream on the technical part as long as we can address the point

Otherwise the investment wouldn’t be as competitive

Does my question make sense?

Re: Why Amber? (and lets say.... AngularJS)

philippeback
Perfectly.

I am asking myself the same before ambarking on Amber or Angular ...

Now more into Ember.js ...but well, as you say: competitive.

Phil

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 1:13 PM, sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mar 24, 2014, at 5:46 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

isn't Amber and AngularJS two things moving to opposite directions ?

Amber focusing on JS side while AngularJS on HTML side ?

well, that’s not the point.

Kick ass productivity is the point.

And easy collaboration with designers.

And snappy single page applications.

(the list is actually a bit longer, watch the first 10m of this presentation to know it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9MHigUZKEM)

I have no problem in going in a different direction than mainstream on the technical part as long as we can address the point

Otherwise the investment wouldn’t be as competitive

Does my question make sense?

Re: Why Amber? (and lets say.... AngularJS)

sebastianconcept
Yesterday I saw this... and if you love Amber watch it completely and imagine you doing the same demo and end result on Amber in the same duration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbZnf9Fa8UE

I kept wondering how to make a similar demo with Amber + Pharo or an Amber + node  stack.

Some thoughts:

If we put aside things like
- Reactivity. Automatic refresh/invalidation of a component (re-rendering) on server side data/model chance
- Instant feedback. Smalltalk used to champion instant feedback. I'm surprised that now Meteor has it even better than Amber.
- Latency compensation

We still have many annoying productivity bumps to make the design process smoother

Bumps that will scare the hell out of 99.99% designers

The thing is, I have many chances to demo stuff like this, but I can't if does not produce a kickass effect

Can something be done about that? ideas?

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 1:13 PM, sebastian <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="H9w_E7Fi8jsJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">sebastia...@...> wrote:

On Mar 24, 2014, at 5:46 AM, kilon alios <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="H9w_E7Fi8jsJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">kilon...@...> wrote:

(the list is actually a bit longer, watch the first 10m of this presentation to know it <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9MHigUZKEM" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v\75i9MHigUZKEM';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v\75i9MHigUZKEM';return true;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9MHigUZKEM)

I have no problem in going in a different direction than mainstream on the technical part as long as we can address the point

Otherwise the investment wouldn’t be as competitive

Does my question make sense?

Re: Why Amber? (and lets say.... AngularJS)

sebastianconcept
This might add something to this conversation and to (re)discover what could our contribution to the world with this technology could be all about:

The web is a total mess, and this guy critiques templates quite right:
http://www.boronine.com/2012/09/07/Cult-Of-Logic-less-Templates/

Also this to find a powerful metaphor that could rescue us from the mess:
http://sebastianconcept.com/brandIt/in-search-of-the-right-metaphor-for-amber

Note to future self:
Meteor is actually getting the point about how to deal with that mess so you better kick your ass (or move to it)