Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?

123

Re: Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?

Igor Stasenko
On 21 August 2012 23:53, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The markdown parser is not loaded for some reason I do not know.  So
> the class NBHelpStyler does not work.
>
> A workaround is to replace the method
>
> NBHelpStyler>>styleText:
>
> styleText: aString
>
>         ^ self new markdownText: aString
>

> WITH
>
> styleText: aString
>
>         ^ aString

:)

yeah.. as a compromise this can work..
markdown is good in one respect - it is still quite human-readable as
a plain text even without formatting, unlike html :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: NBHelp in Squeak (Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?)

Igor Stasenko
On 22 August 2012 00:04, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> On 21 August 2012 23:20, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah thank you , I had version 1 and now version 4 is installed together
>>> with
>>> all dependencies. Any idea how I use NB-help ?
>>>

>> i don't know how you can do it in squeak image, in pharo image just
>> open help browser
>

> It uses too many "pharoisms", so it won't work in Squeak out of the box:
> - Gofer
> - LogicalFont
> - StandardFonts
> - pragma-based "registration" for HelpSystem
>
> The first can be loaded, the lines containing the next two can be replaced
> with "TextStyle defaultFont" and then you can open the HelpBrowser with:
> HelpBrowser openOn: NBHelp asHelpTopic.
>
> Btw, green text for source code doesn't look very nice and it would be
> better to use the Metacello API to load PP.

I never tried it on squeak, so sure thing it may not work.
I have two questions:
 - why LogicalFont considered pharoism?
(StandardFonts is, but LogicalFont?)
and
 - what is the metacello API you mentioned. I don't know much about
metacello beyond the way how to create and manage own configs. Any
pointers?

how i can use it, if metacello is not installed by default in image?
(well, of course, by all logic people will load NB anyways, so i can
safely assume it already in image)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: NBHelp in Squeak (Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?)

Igor Stasenko
oh, yes, (to all) please suggest a better color scheme (i don't like it either)
- color for links
- color for code

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: NBHelp in Squeak (Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?)

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 22 August 2012 00:04, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> i don't know how you can do it in squeak image, in pharo image just
>>> open help browser
>>

>> It uses too many "pharoisms", so it won't work in Squeak out of the box:
>> - Gofer
>> - LogicalFont
>> - StandardFonts
>> - pragma-based "registration" for HelpSystem
>>
>> The first can be loaded, the lines containing the next two can be replaced
>> with "TextStyle defaultFont" and then you can open the HelpBrowser with:
>> HelpBrowser openOn: NBHelp asHelpTopic.
>>
>> Btw, green text for source code doesn't look very nice and it would be
>> better to use the Metacello API to load PP.
>>

> I never tried it on squeak, so sure thing it may not work.

Sure.

> I have two questions:
> - why LogicalFont considered pharoism?
> (StandardFonts is, but LogicalFont?)

Because it doesn't exist in Squeak.

https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/master/docs/MetacelloUserGuide.md

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2012-August/165199.html

> (well, of course, by all logic people will load NB anyways, so i can
> safely assume it already in image)

Um, a few mails before you wrote that NBHelp can be loaded without NB, so
that was what I did. :)

Levente

On 22 August 2012 02:11, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> It uses too many "pharoisms", so it won't work in Squeak out of the box:
>>> - Gofer
>>> - LogicalFont
>>> - StandardFonts
>>> - pragma-based "registration" for HelpSystem
>>>
>>> The first can be loaded, the lines containing the next two can be
>>> replaced
>>> with "TextStyle defaultFont" and then you can open the HelpBrowser with:
>>> HelpBrowser openOn: NBHelp asHelpTopic.
>>>
>>> Btw, green text for source code doesn't look very nice and it would be
>>> better to use the Metacello API to load PP.
>>>

>> I never tried it on squeak, so sure thing it may not work.
>

> Sure.
>

>> I have two questions:
>> - why LogicalFont considered pharoism?
>> (StandardFonts is, but LogicalFont?)
>

> Because it doesn't exist in Squeak.
>

>> and
>> - what is the metacello API you mentioned. I don't know much about
>> metacello beyond the way how to create and manage own configs. Any
>> pointers?
>

> https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/master/docs/MetacelloUserGuide.md
>

>> how i can use it, if metacello is not installed by default in image?
>

> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2012-August/165199.html
>

>> (well, of course, by all logic people will load NB anyways, so i can
>> safely assume it already in image)
>

> Um, a few mails before you wrote that NBHelp can be loaded without NB, so
> that was what I did. :)

So, i repeating my question, how you can use Metacello API to load
something, if it not in image?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: NBHelp in Squeak (Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?)

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 22 August 2012 02:11, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I never tried it on squeak, so sure thing it may not work.
>>

>> Sure.
>>

>>> I have two questions:
>>> - why LogicalFont considered pharoism?
>>> (StandardFonts is, but LogicalFont?)
>>

>> Because it doesn't exist in Squeak.
>>

>>> and
>>> - what is the metacello API you mentioned. I don't know much about
>>> metacello beyond the way how to create and manage own configs. Any
>>> pointers?
>>

>> https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/master/docs/MetacelloUserGuide.md
>>

>>> how i can use it, if metacello is not installed by default in image?
>>

>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2012-August/165199.html
>>

>>> (well, of course, by all logic people will load NB anyways, so i can
>>> safely assume it already in image)
>>

>> Um, a few mails before you wrote that NBHelp can be loaded without NB, so
>> that was what I did. :)
>>
> So, i repeating my question, how you can use Metacello API to load
> something, if it not in image?

You can't. But the idea is that it will be present in all base images.

Levente

>> Levente

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko.
>>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: NBHelp in Squeak (Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?)

Igor Stasenko
On 22 August 2012 02:11, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> It uses too many "pharoisms", so it won't work in Squeak out of the box:
>>> - Gofer
>>> - LogicalFont
>>> - StandardFonts
>>> - pragma-based "registration" for HelpSystem
>>>
>>> The first can be loaded, the lines containing the next two can be
>>> replaced
>>> with "TextStyle defaultFont" and then you can open the HelpBrowser with:
>>> HelpBrowser openOn: NBHelp asHelpTopic.
>>>
>>> Btw, green text for source code doesn't look very nice and it would be
>>> better to use the Metacello API to load PP.
>>>

>> I never tried it on squeak, so sure thing it may not work.
>

> Sure.
>

>> I have two questions:
>> - why LogicalFont considered pharoism?
>> (StandardFonts is, but LogicalFont?)
>

> Because it doesn't exist in Squeak.

Ah, ok i checked.. it is part of freetype.
This is strange, i always assumed LogicalFont was always in base fonts
package :)

I was using
TextStyle defaultFont before logical font:

headingStyle: level
        | size |

        size := self defaultFont height.
        size := size *
        ( #(
                2.0
                1.5
                1.4
                1.25
                1.0
        ) at: level ).

        ^ TextFontReference toFont: (

                TextStyle default fontOfSize: size
        )

The problem is that #fontOfSize using stupid fontArray which works
well for strike fonts (since you have limited set of sizes for font),
while for truetype fonts its size is always =1
and it always answers the font of very same size, depite that truetype
fonts can be sized to any size almost effortlessly.. so this makes
headings look like regular text :(
Maybe it is pharo bug needs to be fixed..
But the font API is very obscure and unfriendly..

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

On 22 August 2012 03:05, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> Sure.

>>> Because it doesn't exist in Squeak.

>>> https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/master/docs/MetacelloUserGuide.md

>>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2012-August/165199.html

>>> Um, a few mails before you wrote that NBHelp can be loaded without NB, so
>>> that was what I did. :)
>>>
>> So, i repeating my question, how you can use Metacello API to load
>> something, if it not in image?
>

> You can't. But the idea is that it will be present in all base images.

Yeah.. i would wellcome that.
So it can wait till this become true :)
Thanks, Levente.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:12:45AM +0100, dimitris chloupis wrote:

> Whats funny is that if you ask here at mailing list you get a lot of useful
> answer but those answers dont make it back to documentaion. People are bored
> making documentation but cant resist answering in malling list with often
> extremely detailed helpful info as Davind's pst which I think should be
> included with Squeaks onboard documentation.?

Hi Dimitris,

The information that I provided on the mailing list is actually a shorter,
but more up to date, version of the instructions here:

  http://squeakvm.org/unix/devel.html

I completely agree with you on the importance of in-image documentation.
However, in this case it may be better to keep it on the web because most
of what I wrote is very platform-specific, and also specific to one flavor
of VMMaker and build procedure. As I am sure you have noticed by now, there
are several different ways to interface to external libraries, each with
advantages and disadvantages.

In any case, I hope you are successful in trying one or two of these
approaches and forming your own opinions :)

Dave

Re: Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Dave

The only thing than which would have helped Dimitris considerably
Iwould be to have the pointer

you mention
    http://squeakvm.org/unix/devel.html

in one of the welcome workspaces or  the help system. Is this the main
entry point?

For example I was not aware that you update these instructions
regularly and that they are well worked out. This actually motivates
me to try it out in Ubuntu 12.04.

--Hannes

N.B. a link to an already existing instruction page how to get the C++
compiler and libraries up and running
   sudo apt-get install build-essential
   (etc., in Debian, what else do I need besides build-essentials)
added to a prerequisites section in
    http://squeakvm.org/unix/devel.html
would be very helpful in addition.

On 8/22/12, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:12:45AM +0100, dimitris chloupis wrote:
>>
>> Whats funny is that if you ask here at mailing list you get a lot of
>> useful
>> answer but those answers dont make it back to documentaion. People are
>> bored
>> making documentation but cant resist answering in malling list with often
>> extremely detailed helpful info as Davind's pst which I think should be
>> included with Squeaks onboard documentation.?
>>

> Hi Dimitris,
>
> The information that I provided on the mailing list is actually a shorter,
> but more up to date, version of the instructions here:
>
>   http://squeakvm.org/unix/devel.html
>
> I completely agree with you on the importance of in-image documentation.
> However, in this case it may be better to keep it on the web because most
> of what I wrote is very platform-specific, and also specific to one flavor
> of VMMaker and build procedure. As I am sure you have noticed by now, there
> are several different ways to interface to external libraries, each with
> advantages and disadvantages.
>
> In any case, I hope you are successful in trying one or two of these
> approaches and forming your own opinions :)
>
> Dave

Re: NBHelp in Squeak (Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?)

Hannes Hirzel
I got it working the way Igor intended it it. With PetitParser and
Markdown syntax in the help files.

If somebody is interested I can post the instructions how to do it....

--Hannes

NBHelpInSqueak4.3WithPetitParserAndMarkdownSyntax.png (83K) Download Attachment

On 25 August 2012 16:16, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I got it working the way Igor intended it it. With PetitParser and
> Markdown syntax in the help files.
>
> If somebody is interested I can post the instructions how to do it....

just send me the changeset and i will integrate it with package.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: NBHelp in Squeak (Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?)

Hannes Hirzel
Igor,

Below are the instructions for loading PetitParser manually. NBHelp
needs PetitParser.
The Monticello configuration needs to be adapted so that it works fine
for Squeak as well.
I don't know how to do that.

Attached is the changeSet for the two font fixes.

Note: The instructions are in Markdown notation as the NBHelp pages.
To view the text formatted you might want to use
http://www.showdown.im/ ;   for a guide on markdown see for example
http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/

--Hannes

How to load NBHelp in Squeak 4.3
================================

Load Pharo compatibility package for Squeak

Load
[PharoCompatibility](http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoCompatibility)
by Frank Shearar

This package contains as the only method

    Symbol>>isBinary
        ^ self precedence = 2.

Load Metacello manually

Added the following repository

    MCHttpRepository
       location: 'http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello'
       user: ''
       password: ''

Manually load

ConfigurationOfMetacello-pmm.717

Author: pmm Time: 25 August 2012, 10:32:34 am

Then do

    ConfigurationOfMetacello loadLatestVersion

Load PetitParser manually

Open Monticello browser and add repository

    MCHttpRepository
      location: 'http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/petit'
      user: ''
      password: ''

load configuration

Name: ConfigurationOfPetitParser-TudorGirba.26

Author: TudorGirba Time: 4 March 2012, 8:22:38 pm

execute

    ConfigurationOfPetitParser loadMinimal

Load NBHelp (NativeBoost) manually

In the Monticello browser add the following http repository

    MCHttpRepository
        location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/NativeBoost'
        user: ''
        password: ''

Load NativeBoost help

Name: NativeBoost-Help-IgorStasenko.4

Author: IgorStasenko

Time: 21 August 2012, 10:15:43 pm

Add two font fixes for Squeak 4.3

    NBHelperStyler>>
    headingStyle: level
        | size font fontNo |

        (Smalltalk includesKey: #LogicalFont)
                ifTrue: ["for Pharo"
                        size := self defaultFont pointSize.
                        size := size
                                * (#(2.0 1.5 1.4 1.25 1.0 ) at: level).
                        font := LogicalFont familyName: self defaultFont familyName pointSize: size]

                ifFalse: ["for Squeak"
                              fontNo := #(3 2 1 1 1) at: level.
                                font := (TextStyle default fontAt: fontNo) ].

        ^ TextFontReference toFont: font

==========================

And the following method

    NBHelperStyler>>
    codeStyle

    | codeFont   |

    (Smalltalk includesKey: #LogicalFont)
                ifTrue: ["for Pharo" codeFont := StandardFonts codeFont.]
                ifFalse: ["for Squeak" codeFont := (TextConstants at:
#DefaultFixedTextStyle) fonts at: 1].

        ^ { TextFontReference toFont: codeFont.
                TextEmphasis bold.
                TextColor color: self codeColor  }

(attached in the changeSet)

On 8/25/12, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25 August 2012 16:16, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I got it working the way Igor intended it it. With PetitParser and
>> Markdown syntax in the help files.
>>
>> If somebody is interested I can post the instructions how to do it....
>>
> just send me the changeset and i will integrate it with package.
>
>> --Hannes

>>> Yeah.. i would wellcome that.
>>> So it can wait till this become true :)
>>> Thanks, Levente.

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko.
>>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

NBHelpFixesForSqueak4.3.1.cs (1K) Download Attachment
123