Why I use Pharo

John E.
I'm super excited to hear about Pharo 1.0 beta.  I thought I'd post
about why I'm using Pharo.

I started using Pharo about 2 weeks ago and have finally started
writing small programs in Smalltalk again.

Just over 2 years ago, I was learning Squeak but got frustrated at
finding most links dead or things that didn't seem to be maintained. I
was very excited with the changes in 3.8 and 3.9 but was left
wondering what happened after that.  Looking back, it looks like Pharo
happened.

Thanks so much to everyone.

Re: Why I use Pharo

Marcus Denker-3

On 31.07.2009, at 07:35, John Escobedo wrote:

> I'm super excited to hear about Pharo 1.0 beta.  I thought I'd post
> about why I'm using Pharo.
>
> I started using Pharo about 2 weeks ago and have finally started
> writing small programs in Smalltalk again.
>
> Just over 2 years ago, I was learning Squeak but got frustrated at
> finding most links dead or things that didn't seem to be maintained. I
> was very excited with the changes in 3.8 and 3.9 but was left
> wondering what happened after that.

Thanks for your kind words!

>  Looking back, it looks like Pharo
> happened.

I think there was even some gap in between... and what I wonder always
is
this: What would habe happened if we would have just done the next
small step
for 10 years with Squeak as we now did for 13 Month with Pharo?

The more I learn about software development, project management and
life in general,
the more I am convinced that incremental, evolutionary progress is the
only way
to move forward.

And from that follows directly many very interersting questions both
for research and
engineering:
        How do we analyse the old to be able to move it forward?
        Can we provide better tools for evolution?
        Can new language features help to build evolvable systems?

The fun thing is that this route supports both results that are far-
fetched researchy
prototypes (see my publications page, for example), as well as down-to-
earth, usable,
stable artifacts. This is a very nice mixture, I have to admit.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.2denker.de

2denker UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Sitz Köln
Amtsgericht - Registergericht - Köln, HRB 65065
Geschäftsführer: Christian Denker und Dr. Marcus Denker

Re: Why I use Pharo

Alexandre Bergel
> The fun thing is that this route supports both results that are far-
> fetched researchy
> prototypes (see my publications page, for example), as well as down-
> to-
> earth, usable,
> stable artifacts. This is a very nice mixture, I have to admit.

And very rare as well

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Why I use Pharo

> I'm super excited to hear about Pharo 1.0 beta.  I thought I'd post
> about why I'm using Pharo.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

> I started using Pharo about 2 weeks ago and have finally started
> writing small programs in Smalltalk again.

Excellent! Smalltalking is good for the mind :)

> Just over 2 years ago, I was learning Squeak but got frustrated at
> finding most links dead or things that didn't seem to be maintained. I
> was very excited with the changes in 3.8 and 3.9 but was left
> wondering what happened after that.  Looking back, it looks like Pharo
> happened.

We got frustrated by the lack of general quality and sad to see
excellent ideas
unfinished or rotting. Now you can help making pharo better. Have fun.