Why Pharo?

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hello,

Mariano's post spurred me to write my reasons of "why to use it", so I
started this post.

>>After many hesitations (I was reluctant to use Squeak) I decided to
>>use Pharo for it and not Dolphin (my favorite Smalltalk), because of
>>several reasons.
>would be nice to know them hehe
>sorry...in another thread.

- It's mainly about getting mainstream, and not willing to develop
everything from scratch once and again.

- At work we've developed everything by our own on VSE/Dolphin, so
every time we wanted to do something, we had to build it by ourselves
(most of it). We even had a Magritte like framework (years before
Magritte existed), persistence, reporting, etc. Now some of them, are
very mature frameworks. But I can't borrow any of them for personal
use ;-) and don't want to spend a year rewriting the frameworks I've
created, contributed to or used at work.

- Because what I want to build is going to be web based (and I hope to
get it mobile to), anything that runs on linux is good to be
considered as a server solution.

- So I wanted a rich class library/frameworks, in order to be able to
focus on the business logic I want to build.

- I wanted to have the latest versions of such frameworks, even when
it's getting easier to port them (I did port Swazoo and Seaside in the
past), I'm not in the mood to do it now (yes, I'm getting lazy).

- Because Dolphin future is uncertain yet, DNG seems to be the
next-generation VM/Smalltalk, but I can't wait until it's ready, the
conditions clear ($$$) and have the above mentioned points included.

- Because I like where Pharo is going to, or seems to be going. I like
its mission and how its being managed (releases,  issues,
patches,tests). It's a solid foundation for any reliable project.

- Because nothing really new has come from other really good
smalltalks like VAST/Dolphin/VW, everything is getting ported, and
eventually a contribution gets back to the source. I see GLASS as an
"extension" of Pharo/Squeak, because it was made very compatible, and
the edges in contact work very close to each other (GLASS is useless
if outdated in relation with Pharo/Squeak).

- Because after all, Pharo is also Smalltalk. And I rather choose it
before going to other also good stuff (like Rails), or not so good as
PHP/Java/DotNet)

- I want to focus on the business I'm trying to solve, and forget
about everything mentioned above.

The only thing that keeps me remembering the stuff above, is I'm still
not comfortable as I am with Dolphin, not just because of habit.
Dolphin's IDE is really neat, quick, consistent, gets the stuff done
and then gets out of your way.
You have to use it and do some real work to understand what I'm talking about.
But I'm pretty confident Pharo will achieve such level of maturity in
the not so far future.

I hope it clears my reasoning behind choosing Pharo.

Best regards,

--
Esteban

Re: Why Pharo?

Alexandre Bergel
> - Because I like where Pharo is going to, or seems to be going. I like
> its mission and how its being managed (releases,  issues,
> patches,tests). It's a solid foundation for any reliable project.

Thanks Esteban

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Why Pharo?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
+100000000000000 to Esteban's comments on the Dolphin IDE - it's slick in ways that are not visually obvious.  Some of it comes from speed, some from use of the good from GUI conventions, and the rest from good IDE design.

> [...]

- Because after all, Pharo is also Smalltalk. And I rather choose it before going to other also good stuff (like Rails), or not so good as
PHP/Java/DotNet)

- I want to focus on the business I'm trying to solve, and forget about everything mentioned above.

The only thing that keeps me remembering the stuff above, is I'm still not comfortable as I am with Dolphin, not just because of habit.
Dolphin's IDE is really neat, quick, consistent, gets the stuff done and then gets out of your way.
You have to use it and do some real work to understand what I'm talking about.
But I'm pretty confident Pharo will achieve such level of maturity in the not so far future.

I hope it clears my reasoning behind choosing Pharo.

Mariano Martinez Peck

yes, I asked because I saw that perhaps a "Why pharo?" section in www.pharo-project.org could be a good idea :)

> [...]

the edges in contact work very close to each other (GLASS is useless
if outdated in relation with Pharo/Squeak).

- Because after all, Pharo is also Smalltalk. And I rather choose it
before going to other also good stuff (like Rails), or not so good as
PHP/Java/DotNet)

- I want to focus on the business I'm trying to solve, and forget
about everything mentioned above.

The only thing that keeps me remembering the stuff above, is I'm still
not comfortable as I am with Dolphin, not just because of habit.
Dolphin's IDE is really neat, quick, consistent, gets the stuff done
and then gets out of your way.
You have to use it and do some real work to understand what I'm talking about.
But I'm pretty confident Pharo will achieve such level of maturity in
the not so far future.

I hope it clears my reasoning behind choosing Pharo.

Adrian Lienhard

On Jul 21, 2009, at 18:22 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Mariano's post spurred me to write my reasons of "why to use it",
>> so I
>> started this post.
>>

> yes, I asked because I saw that perhaps a "Why pharo?" section in
> www.pharo-project.org could be a good idea :)

Indeed. If you or somebody else writes up some text, I'm happy to add
it to the website.

Adrian

Re: Why Pharo?

Thanks
let us know how we can improve too.
I will take time but chicken little by chicken little we will make it :)

On Jul 21, 2009, at 5:59 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:

> [...]
> if outdated in relation with Pharo/Squeak).
>
> - Because after all, Pharo is also Smalltalk. And I rather choose it
> before going to other also good stuff (like Rails), or not so good as
> PHP/Java/DotNet)
>
> - I want to focus on the business I'm trying to solve, and forget
> about everything mentioned above.
>
> The only thing that keeps me remembering the stuff above, is I'm still
> not comfortable as I am with Dolphin, not just because of habit.
> Dolphin's IDE is really neat, quick, consistent, gets the stuff done
> and then gets out of your way.
> You have to use it and do some real work to understand what I'm
> talking about.
> But I'm pretty confident Pharo will achieve such level of maturity in
> the not so far future.
>
> I hope it clears my reasoning behind choosing Pharo.

Re: Why Pharo?

Travis Kay
Being a Dolphin Pro user myself, I have to agree with Esteban and Bill on
all accounts.

Travis Kay

> [...]

Pharo/Squeak).

- Because after all, Pharo is also Smalltalk. And I rather choose it before
going to other also good stuff (like Rails), or not so good as
PHP/Java/DotNet)

- I want to focus on the business I'm trying to solve, and forget about
everything mentioned above.

The only thing that keeps me remembering the stuff above, is I'm still not
comfortable as I am with Dolphin, not just because of habit.
Dolphin's IDE is really neat, quick, consistent, gets the stuff done and
then gets out of your way.
You have to use it and do some real work to understand what I'm talking
about.
But I'm pretty confident Pharo will achieve such level of maturity in the
not so far future.

I hope it clears my reasoning behind choosing Pharo.

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes.
Now it never run on mac so....
And ESUG was ready to participate to the bounty to get it opensource
but the point was better dead than opensource so...
we will see what we can do without being payed and been a true
opensource software.

Stef