Why Smalltalk ? Which Smalltalk ?

12

Re: Why Smalltalk ? Which Smalltalk ?

Dmitri Zagidulin
Everyone,
Thank you for an great discussion!
I'm the author of the post in question, and I appreciate you clearing
up my misconceptions. At the time that I found out about the Pharo
project, those were the differences that I could find, from Wikipedia
(and i suspect i also misunderstood what it was saying). I've edited
the post in light of this discussion.

I do want to fully understand though. What are the technical
differences between Squeak and Pharo? And what are some of the reasons
you choose to work in it?

Thanks,
Dmitri Zagidulin

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In fairness to the blogger, it is not a stretch to go from Alan Kay's involvement in Squeak's origins to it's having started for the educational benefit of children.  Early education has been a major focus of Alan's career.  He probably WAS thinking "damn, this could be the dynabook that we would give to kids!"  OLPC anyone?  It was hardly a false statement; it's at best a difference of opinion.

Re: [OT] Re: Why Smalltalk ? Which Smalltalk ?

Douglas Brebner
On 22/12/2010 23:24, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> guys, lets just stop pouring oil into the flames because it will burn
> people in both camps, without any benefit to anyone.
>
> I am equivalently happy to see any good news about Squeak as well as
> Pharo. Come on, there is enough space in boat for both of them,
> not saying about other dialects.

Agreed. I for one am pleased that both Pharo and Squeak exist (and Cuis
too!) since it allows different people with different priorities to work
in different directions without stepping on each others toes.

And, it's not like code developed in one system is automatically
non-portable to the others :)

Re: [OT] Re: Why Smalltalk ? Which Smalltalk ?

laza
Stéphane,

I don't perceived Leventes email to be aggressive at all (in contrast to yours), but only to correct some false assumptions providing hard facts. If the Pharo community honestly believes that it is an open and friendly community, then there should be no problem with posts to the this mailinglist trying to provide some facts and not chiming in to any chorus.

Just let me say that it doesn't serve Pharo well to say that something else lacks some features or is bad in many ways. That won't make Pharo any better. Emphasize on the great things Pharo has to offer by itself (and I believe that there are many). I think this would better suit Pharos vision.

BTW, thanks Levente for the dates. There should be definitely some google timeline [1] where we could maintain the smalltalk milestones of the past.

Jingle,
 Alex

[1] Example http://simile-widgets.googlecode.com/svn/timeline/tags/latest/src/webapp/examples/religions/christianity.html

2010/12/22 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
Hi levente,

after your mails some people sent me private mails because they did not feel well. They wondered why people were sending mails against pharo in this mailing-list while they do not send aggressive mails in squeak.
I can understand them. Now I think that this is ok that you send the mails you want,
you can send your feelings here, even if this is not that positive :). Kicks in the ass is always a feedback and we can make progress.
I always appreciated your benchmarks and precise remarks. I liked (and I told you publicly) that you always replied to my mails about your changes in squeak. I can understand your frustration (I have been there for years trying to move squeak - again we did not do pharo for an ego problem - I cannot tell the number of students that looked at me like I was an idiot to use a system with all the colors and messy menus). We do pharo to build an ecosystem where people can expand, create cool ideas and make money to live from them.
What is wrong with that?

Now do not play pharo against squeak, it will not work on the mid term and this is not fun for everybody. I would love that Squeak builds its own real vision: for example been a real multimedia platform. We could have a lot of fun. Now I think that except a miracle this will not happen: after 10 years, squeak failed to go to the next level - I wanted everything and more Cairo, Zoomable interface, crazy ideas and all the rest - I was a big fan of Sophie (I can tell you that I was a bit fucked by some bulgarian people on that level trying to support Squeak and sophie there) and other impara tools. Now impara failed to make squeak sexy and them the center of the universe - They could have but may be they did not have the vision to be something else than
building tools for alan. Anyway this is life.  Now I wonder why you get stuck in Squeak you are welcome in Pharo. May be Squeak fits your vision and spirit but I do not understand what we are doing wrong so that you are mad against us.

Re: [OT] Re: Why Smalltalk ? Which Smalltalk ?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Dec 23, 2010, at 1:23 PM, Alexander Lazarević wrote:

> Stéphane,
>
> I don't perceived Leventes email to be aggressive at all (in contrast to yours), but only to correct some false assumptions providing hard facts. If the Pharo community honestly believes that it is an open and friendly community, then there should be no problem with posts to the this mailinglist trying to provide some facts and not chiming in to any chorus.

ok alexander now I was not specifically aggressive but you seem to think I did. Strange. So this means that we cannot even have mild statements about MY own past. Funny how dogma can work.

> Just let me say that it doesn't serve Pharo well to say that something else lacks some features or is bad in many ways.

I did not say anything special but just put in perspective things.
I have much more fun ideas about how to measure progress like the amount of money spent on projects but this requires data that we cannot find on the web :)

> That won't make Pharo any better. Emphasize on the great things Pharo has to offer by itself (and I believe that there are many). I think this would better suit Pharos vision.

Now I would like to keep this mailing list out of such discussion and yes if people wants to show facts
that squeak is faster, better, move faster.... they can send them here but why not sending them in the squeak mailing-lists? I remember people telling to miguel that he was a troll just because he was arguing about process on squeak-dev. So?

> BTW, thanks Levente for the dates. There should be definitely some google timeline [1] where we could maintain the smalltalk milestones of the past.

You see milestones are just numbers. :)

> Hi levente,
>
> after your mails some people sent me private mails because they did not feel well. They wondered why people were sending mails against pharo in this mailing-list while they do not send aggressive mails in squeak.
> I can understand them. Now I think that this is ok that you send the mails you want,
> you can send your feelings here, even if this is not that positive :). Kicks in the ass is always a feedback and we can make progress.
> I always appreciated your benchmarks and precise remarks. I liked (and I told you publicly) that you always replied to my mails about your changes in squeak. I can understand your frustration (I have been there for years trying to move squeak - again we did not do pharo for an ego problem - I cannot tell the number of students that looked at me like I was an idiot to use a system with all the colors and messy menus). We do pharo to build an ecosystem where people can expand, create cool ideas and make money to live from them.
> What is wrong with that?
>
> Now do not play pharo against squeak, it will not work on the mid term and this is not fun for everybody. I would love that Squeak builds its own real vision: for example been a real multimedia platform. We could have a lot of fun. Now I think that except a miracle this will not happen: after 10 years, squeak failed to go to the next level - I wanted everything and more Cairo, Zoomable interface, crazy ideas and all the rest - I was a big fan of Sophie (I can tell you that I was a bit fucked by some bulgarian people on that level trying to support Squeak and sophie there) and other impara tools. Now impara failed to make squeak sexy and them the center of the universe - They could have but may be they did not have the vision to be something else than
> building tools for alan. Anyway this is life.  Now I wonder why you get stuck in Squeak you are welcome in Pharo. May be Squeak fits your vision and spirit but I do not understand what we are doing wrong so that you are mad against us.
>
> Stef

Re: [OT] Re: Why Smalltalk ? Which Smalltalk ?

Hi levente

> What I wanted to show is that the release of Pharo 1.0 was not urgent at all (DW and RW are both _more than a year_) until Squeak 4.1 came out. After the release of Squeak 4.1, Pharo 1.0 and 1.1 was released ASAP.

since you want real facts, I can tell you that being the responsible with marcus of release dates
we do not take into account squeak releases and that we do not release as soon as possible.
So I can ensure you that this is a false facts.
We do not take that into account. You can believe us or not this is not that important. I just say it for the
record.
Now what we did was learning:
        1.0 was too long mainly the beta phase because we were looking for a copy and paste bug
        that was randomly showing up. In such a case beta at the end was more "this is public but
        missing one bug fix". But since you like numbers you can count they way you want.

After we are looking at logical moment to stop so that people can sync their applications. But there is always the tension with new features getting ready.
We discuss milestones topics in the pharo sprint which was hold in the same time than WCRE.
And we try to be features oriented. For example, we decided not to open 1.3 when 1.2 got beta and to
focus on not integrating easy bug fixes to get stability. In 1.1 it was different since lot of fixes were accumulating.

Re: [OT] Re: Why Smalltalk ? Which Smalltalk ?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Levente
>
> What do you want to prove? We pushed/supported squeak since 3.5 or even before. So what? We were harvesters of bug fixes long long long long time ago. We started to clean squeak years ago. Do you want me to come up with a similar timeline from our effort? I do not have that amount of time to lose.
> We wrote most of the books and tutorial on Squeak. We built the squeakfoundation too btw :)
> and we give you all that effort for free. People think that going pharo was an easy choice, this was not.
> May be you do not believe that this is a lot but it is.
>
> Now please please nobody has to gain anything polluting the good energy we are creating.
> You are free to believe what you want. We are free to do the way we want it.
>
> Levente we did pharo just to avoid arguing and get bad feelings. so keep this place nice friendly and welcoming.
Since others already wrote the answer to this part, I won't duplicate it
here.

> Stef
>
> PS: I can send you private mail to show you some evidence of the fact that our efforts to improve Squeak
> got attacked by 'Important' squeaker.

I guess you already sent that to me in March this year.

Levente

> [...]

> building tools for alan. Anyway this is life.  Now I wonder why you get stuck in Squeak you are welcome in Pharo. May be Squeak fits your vision and spirit but I do not understand what we are doing wrong so that you are mad against us.
Let me respond to only those parts that weren't answered already:
I don't like the idea what some Pharo users and developers (yes, that's
including you too) are suggesting about Squeak. A few examples:
- Squeak has no vision
- Squeak should be a multimedia platform
- the purpose of Squeak is to support EToys
- Squeak should only be used for educational purposes
- Squeak is a mess (while Pharo is clean)
- Squeak is dead
etc.
IMHO Squeak is and should be "a modern, open source, full-featured
implementation of the powerful Smalltalk programming language and
environment". This implies that it should be good for everything what
Pharo is good for. Since I use it for software developement and I'm making
a living with it - just like many other people in the past (including
some of you) and present - it should be developer friendly too.

Why "I got stuck in Squeak"? That's a long story, so let me tell you what
I like better in Squeak than Pharo instead:
- Squeak's update mechanism is a lot more stable. If you update your image
you have ~99% chance that it will work with your already loaded packages.
I can always use the bleeding edge version, because it's like a beta or
rc. We have some deployed images which were updated from 3.10.2 to
the current 4.2 (with Seaside and lot of other packages).
- When it's possible to do something in a backwards compatible way, then
it's usually done that way.
- The contribution process is simpler.
- The code changes appear on the mailing list.
- Colorful windows make it easy to find the one you're looking for. Most
windows are grey in Pharo even if you use a "Squeak theme".
- The UI feels faster.
- I use the toolbar with it's search tool all the time. The taskbar in
Pharo doesn't seem to be useful, but that's probably because I used to
find windows by colors.

The list is not complete, but I guess the most important ones are here
from a user's POV.

Levente

> Stef

Re: [OT] Re: Why Smalltalk ? Which Smalltalk ?

Stéphane Ducasse
levente

can you keep such kind of mails for Squeak-dev?
Or I will have to add you to my filter.

Stef

> [...]
> - When it's possible to do something in a backwards compatible way, then it's usually done that way.
> - The contribution process is simpler.
> - The code changes appear on the mailing list.
> - Colorful windows make it easy to find the one you're looking for. Most windows are grey in Pharo even if you use a "Squeak theme".
> - The UI feels faster.
> - I use the toolbar with it's search tool all the time. The taskbar in Pharo doesn't seem to be useful, but that's probably because I used to find windows by colors.
>
> The list is not complete, but I guess the most important ones are here from a user's POV.
>

> Levente
>

>> Stef

Re: [OT] Re: Why Smalltalk ? Which Smalltalk ?

Igor Stasenko
2010/12/26 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> - Squeak is dead

Levente, Squeak is dead for those who don't wanna use it.
Pharo is dead for those who don't wanna use it.
This is truth, and you don't need to waste your time trying to
disprove that, especially knowing that it may
hurt some passionate souls in both camps ;)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [OT] Re: Why Smalltalk ? Which Smalltalk ?

Geert Claes
Administrator
I like to look at Squeak and Pharo as two communities that give people a choice.  A brief explanation for those who haven't been around for that long: a couple of years ago there were certain differences in vision and opinion which resulted in a number of Squeakers to start their own Smalltalk Implementation.

Levente Uzonyi wrote
Let me respond to only those parts that weren't answered already:
I don't like the idea what some Pharo users and developers (yes, that's including you too) are suggesting about Squeak. A few examples:
- Squeak has no vision
- Squeak should be a multimedia platform
- the purpose of Squeak is to support EToys
Pharo only says it will "not" support eToys, this does not mean it is Squeak's purpose is to support eToys, it only means Pharo will not.

Levente Uzonyi-2 wrote
[...]

Absolutely, today there are those who prefer Squeak and the Squeak way and that is perfectly fine.  On the other hand there are others who prefer Pharo and the Pharo way and thats fine too.  Both Smalltalk Implementations are (amongs others) freely available to choose from for anyone interested in Smalltalk.  Choice is and always has been a good thing.  Looking at the size of both communities it clearly shows that there was justification to start the Pharo Smalltalk Implementation as well as continue Squeak Smalltalk.

So every time there is a "which Smalltalk" question, everyone should try out the different Smalltalk Implementations (http://www.world.st/implementations) and decide which is best for its purpose because any new Smalltalker is good for the Smalltalk community irrespective of Smalltalk Implementation.

Re: [OT] Re: Why Smalltalk ? Which Smalltalk ?

Dave Mason-3
Can we all just chill and accept that occasionally there will be
misunderstandings?

This is an English mailing list where the majority speak English as a
second language (vastly better than I speak anything other than
English!).  As a native English speaker, there are frequently turns of
phrase that I can see that someone might take as brusque or rude.  So
like the adage on implementing of protocols, please be conservative in
your output (i.e. as polite and clear as possible) and liberal in your
input (i.e. assume the best and that any perceived slight is from the
imperfection of the medium).

I have a preference for Pharo, but it is clearly in the Squeak family
and internecine fighting is both unbecoming and anti-productive... the
more cross fertilization between Squeak and Pharo, the better,
although both will apply their own judgements.

But more importantly, we are  Smalltalkers.  Smalltalk is a very
important language, and the software development landscape will be a
better place if more Smalltalk is used.  So let's focus on talking
about, and working on, our (dialect or language) strengths, and not on
putting others down - whatever may have been the history.

../Dave

Re: [OT] Re: Why Smalltalk ? Which Smalltalk ?

Geert Claes
Administrator
Dave Mason-3 wrote
Can we all just chill and accept that occasionally there will be misunderstandings?

This is an English mailing list where the majority speak English as a second language (vastly better than I speak anything other than English!).  As a native English speaker, there are frequently turns of  phrase that I can see that someone might take as brusque or rude.  So like the adage on implementing of protocols, please be conservative in your output (i.e. as polite and clear as possible) and liberal in your
input (i.e. assume the best and that any perceived slight is from the imperfection of the medium).
I have learned that people here are very passionate and one often needs to be able to read between the lines (and understand some of the history) but in the end of the day, its all good :)

Dave Mason-3 wrote
I have a preference for Pharo, but it is clearly in the Squeak family and internecine fighting is both unbecoming and anti-productive... the more cross fertilization between Squeak and Pharo, the better,
although both will apply their own judgements.

But more importantly, we are  Smalltalkers.  Smalltalk is a very important language, and the software development landscape will be a better place if more Smalltalk is used.  So let's focus on talking
about, and working on, our (dialect or language) strengths, and not on putting others down - whatever may have been the history.

../Dave
+1 completely agree!
12