Why Smalltalk on the JVM <-- feedback requested

Why Smalltalk on the JVM <-- feedback requested

SeanTAllen
Hi Folks,

The first draft of 'Why Smalltalk on the JVM?' is up on the Redline website. Feedback, additions, corrections etc appreciated.
Either here, via email or fork on github and issue a pull request:

N.B. There is a 'Why Smalltalk?' section coming which addresses Smalltalk in general so this bit of content doesn't address
those points and will be adjusted to play better with the 'Why Smalltalk?' when its done. ( I've farmed out the why smalltalk
content to Hernan Wilkinson so I'm not sure exactly what will be in it. )

-Sean-

Re: Why Smalltalk on the JVM <-- feedback requested

Lee Breisacher-2
Looks good. Small typo in the 3rd para: "...they are comfortable with
AND experience the can be productivity boost...".

On Dec 17, 3:14 pm, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> The first draft of 'Why Smalltalk on the JVM?' is up on the Redline
> website. Feedback, additions, corrections etc appreciated.
> Either here, via email or fork on github and issue a pull request:
>
> http://www.redline.st/discover/why-the-jvm.html
>
> N.B. There is a 'Why Smalltalk?' section coming which addresses Smalltalk
> in general so this bit of content doesn't address
> those points and will be adjusted to play better with the 'Why Smalltalk?'
> when its done. ( I've farmed out the why smalltalk
> content to Hernan Wilkinson so I'm not sure exactly what will be in it. )
>
> -Sean-

Re: Why Smalltalk on the JVM <-- feedback requested

SeanTAllen
Fixed. Thanks.

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looks good. Small typo in the 3rd para: "...they are comfortable with
AND experience the can be productivity boost...".

On Dec 17, 3:14 pm, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> The first draft of 'Why Smalltalk on the JVM?' is up on the Redline
> website. Feedback, additions, corrections etc appreciated.
> Either here, via email or fork on github and issue a pull request:
>
> http://www.redline.st/discover/why-the-jvm.html
>
> N.B. There is a 'Why Smalltalk?' section coming which addresses Smalltalk
> in general so this bit of content doesn't address
> those points and will be adjusted to play better with the 'Why Smalltalk?'
> when its done. ( I've farmed out the why smalltalk
> content to Hernan Wilkinson so I'm not sure exactly what will be in it. )
>
> -Sean-

Re: Why Smalltalk on the JVM <-- feedback requested

Jeff Heon
On Dec 17, 6:14 pm, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> N.B. There is a 'Why Smalltalk?' section coming which addresses Smalltalk
> in general so this bit of content doesn't address
> those points and will be adjusted to play better with the 'Why Smalltalk?'
> when its done. ( I've farmed out the why smalltalk
> content to Hernan Wilkinson so I'm not sure exactly what will be in it. )

It might already be anticipated, but I'll suggest this classical text
8)
Design Principles Behind Smalltalk
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/smalltalk.html
http://l3dswiki.cs.colorado.edu:3232/dlc-2006/uploads/116/Design%20Principles%20Behind%20Smalltalk.pdf

Re: Why Smalltalk on the JVM <-- feedback requested

James Ladd
Im thinking we should starts a 'Reading" or links section to capture
stuff like this.

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Jeff Heon <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Dec 17, 6:14 pm, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> N.B. There is a 'Why Smalltalk?' section coming which addresses Smalltalk
> in general so this bit of content doesn't address
> those points and will be adjusted to play better with the 'Why Smalltalk?'
> when its done. ( I've farmed out the why smalltalk
> content to Hernan Wilkinson so I'm not sure exactly what will be in it. )

It might already be anticipated, but I'll suggest this classical text
8)
Design Principles Behind Smalltalk
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/smalltalk.html
http://l3dswiki.cs.colorado.edu:3232/dlc-2006/uploads/116/Design%20Principles%20Behind%20Smalltalk.pdf

Re: Why Smalltalk on the JVM <-- feedback requested

SeanTAllen
Guess who is starring posts to here and working on that... hmmm.... I wonder....

;)

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 3:25 AM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
Im thinking we should starts a 'Reading" or links section to capture
stuff like this.

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Jeff Heon <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Dec 17, 6:14 pm, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> N.B. There is a 'Why Smalltalk?' section coming which addresses Smalltalk
> in general so this bit of content doesn't address
> those points and will be adjusted to play better with the 'Why Smalltalk?'
> when its done. ( I've farmed out the why smalltalk
> content to Hernan Wilkinson so I'm not sure exactly what will be in it. )

It might already be anticipated, but I'll suggest this classical text
8)
Design Principles Behind Smalltalk
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/smalltalk.html
http://l3dswiki.cs.colorado.edu:3232/dlc-2006/uploads/116/Design%20Principles%20Behind%20Smalltalk.pdf

Re: Why Smalltalk on the JVM <-- feedback requested

Lee Breisacher-2
Wow, that's an excellent article by Dan. Smalltalk was innovative in so many ways back then (gc, vm, gui). His comments about potential futures at the end are especially interesting -- mentions of multiple inheritance and "protocols" as first class objects. Pardon my ignorance of "modern" Smalltalks, but has the notion of a Protocol (akin to Java Interface) made it in anywhere?

Lee

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Lee Breisacher <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wow, that's an excellent article by Dan. Smalltalk was innovative in so many ways back then (gc, vm, gui). His comments about potential futures at the end are especially interesting -- mentions of multiple inheritance and "protocols" as first class objects. Pardon my ignorance of "modern" Smalltalks, but has the notion of a Protocol (akin to Java Interface) made it in anywhere?

Not that I am aware of.

There are traits which are so very close yet so very different => http://scg.unibe.ch/research/traits/

Re: Why Smalltalk on the JVM <-- feedback requested

James Ladd
BTW - I recently had a beer with Dan Ingalls and he is interested in knowing how
Redline goes. The quicker we get the runtime, the quicker he will know :)