Why are dropdown lists so chunky even in new Spec?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why are dropdown lists so chunky even in new Spec?

Tim Mackinnon
Great work on bringing spec to life, and it looks quite slick in the new PharoLaucnher - but I don’t understand why in Pharo the dopdown lists (or ComboBox - name seems to vary) has always been so “chunky” and out of proportion? I was hoping that with Spec we would get something that looked more native and elegant but it seems like its not different? Why it this?

With it being so thick - its hard to line up with other controls and it leaves lots of white space when collapsed and expanded? I find it makes the toolbar of the launcher look a bit silly against the icons. See the photos. And a comparison against a native combo box (from system preferences in OSX). See how the native one is so much thinner? Aren’t we able to control this better?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why are dropdown lists so chunky even in new Spec?

Tim Mackinnon
Perhaps I should just log an issue for this? But is this a Launcher issue or a Spec2 one?

> On 19 Apr 2020, at 15:36, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Great work on bringing spec to life, and it looks quite slick in the new PharoLaucnher - but I don’t understand why in Pharo the dopdown lists (or ComboBox - name seems to vary) has always been so “chunky” and out of proportion? I was hoping that with Spec we would get something that looked more native and elegant but it seems like its not different? Why it this?
>
> With it being so thick - its hard to line up with other controls and it leaves lots of white space when collapsed and expanded? I find it makes the toolbar of the launcher look a bit silly against the icons. See the photos. And a comparison against a native combo box (from system preferences in OSX). See how the native one is so much thinner? Aren’t we able to control this better?
>
> <PastedGraphic-3.png>
>
> <PastedGraphic-4.png>
>
>
> <PastedGraphic-5.png>
>
> <PastedGraphic-6.png>
>
>