Why can't I step on when placing a Breakpoint in a method

Why can't I step on when placing a Breakpoint in a method

Marten Feldtmann-5

This is perhaps a user error I always walk in and I do not know why.

I place a statement "self halt" into a method and the debugger pops up, when hitting this statement.

But I can not resume my code, I can not trace or step. I have to change the method and then I can restart this method and step through it.

That is really strange, but I do not know why this is. Any idea ?

Re: Why can't I step on when placing a Breakpoint in a method

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 3:33:20 AM UTC-7, Marten Feldtmann wrote:

This is perhaps a user error I always walk in and I do not know why.

I place a statement "self halt" into a method and the debugger pops up, when hitting this statement.

But I can not resume my code, I can not trace or step. I have to change the method and then I can restart this method and step through it.

That is really strange, but I do not know why this is. Any idea ?

It's no help to say that I have never seen this behaviour. However, tell us more about what you do see. You write "cannot", but don't say whether the buttons to step are disabled or whether they are enabled but pressing them produces no result.

Re: Why can't I step on when placing a Breakpoint in a method

Marten Feldtmann-5
Ok, I can describe it much better and this is also perhaps the answer: It's a UI, where an ExecLongOperation with a progress-dialog is executed and during this work a break-point is hit and you can't trace further on ...

Below is a video (which can not be shown by Linux Firefox) showing this effect and I do not know to handle it:

https://feldtmann.ddns.net/pum/va920_debugger.mp4

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 10:11:35 AM UTC-7, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
Ok, I can describe it much better and this is also perhaps the answer: It's a UI, where an ExecLongOperation with a progress-dialog is executed and during this work a break-point is hit and you can't trace further on ...

Oh! I had forgotten how much inconvenience *that* caused.

If you look in EtWindow>>#execLongOperation:message:allowCancel:showProgress:, you will see that there is a class variable that may allow you to work around the Long Operation semantics/antics. You can also see that it captures user breaks and who knows what else.

The class variable has corresponding accessor methods: EtWindow class>>#execLongOperationsInBackground and #execLongOperationsInBackground:. As I read the code, it looks like setting it to false will run it as a "short operation" and probably(?) bypass the issue you are encountering.

[...]

I have to clarify that I was looking in a 9.2 image. I don't know in which version this bypass functionality was introduced.