Why do some config maps not allow you to add required maps?

Why do some config maps not allow you to add required maps?

Carl Gundel-2
Why do some config maps not allow you to add required maps?  I was easily able to add some required maps to one of my config maps, but on another one the As First..., After, and As Last... menu items are disabled?  Any ideas why?

Thanks,

-Carl

Why do some config maps not allow you to add required maps?

jtuchel
Hi Carl,

Could it be that it is versioned?

Joachim

Re: Why do some config maps not allow you to add required maps?

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Monday, November 3, 2014 8:21:12 AM UTC-8, Carl Gundel wrote:
Why do some config maps not allow you to add required maps?  I was easily able to add some required maps to one of my config maps, but on another one the As First..., After, and As Last... menu items are disabled?  Any ideas why?

I'm going to guess you have enough experience to be editing an open edition. :-)  So, from looking at the code:
addRequiredMapSubMenu

"Answer the menu with the options to add a new required map."

| canChangeRequiredMaps |

^self newMenu
        configureBlock
: [
            canChangeRequiredMaps
:=

self isOneExpressionSelected and: [

self selectedEdition isEdition and: [

self selectedEdition manager = EmUser current]]];
        add
: #addRequiredMapAsFirst    label: MxEMT489    enable: [canChangeRequiredMaps];  "$NLS$ As ~First..."
        add
: #addRequiredMapAfter    label: MxEMT490  "$NLS$ ~After..."
            enable
: [canChangeRequiredMaps and: [self selectedRequiredMaps notEmpty]];
        add
: #addRequiredMapAsLast    label: MxEMT491  "$NLS$ As ~Last..."
            enable
: [canChangeRequiredMaps and: [self requiredMaps notEmpty]];
        yourself

It looks like the only other relevant condition is whether you are the map's manager?

Re: Why do some config maps not allow you to add required maps?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Carl and Joachim,

On Monday, November 3, 2014 12:10:26 PM UTC-5, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
Hi Carl,

Could it be that it is versioned?

Joachim

Or in the box to the left (Config. Expressions) you need to add an item like "True".

Lou

On Monday, November 3, 2014 12:16:50 PM UTC-5, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Carl and Joachim,

On Monday, November 3, 2014 12:10:26 PM UTC-5, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
Hi Carl,

Could it be that it is versioned?

Joachim

Or in the box to the left (Config. Expressions) you need to add an item like "True".

Lou

That was it Louis.  Everything is so simple once you know how.  :-)

I didn't realize that the config expressions had any impact on that list.  I just thought this was a place to put initialization code.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

-Carl

Re: Why do some config maps not allow you to add required maps?

Instantiations mailing list
Hi Carl,

Every config map has a load condition. This condition is defined in the little window in he center of the configuration brwoser right under the list of configuration editions/versions.
Here one can define different conditions for eg.g different platforms, or VASmalltalk versions.

When you create a new configuration map there is no condition defined. You need to add at least one to be able to add required maps.

Select the open editions of configuration map that you want to add a required map to.
Do a right click on empty the widget/list below  the editions list and add a condition. Just enter "true" and save that.
Now zou do not have anz conditions and the required maps are always loaded no matter which VAST version, or platform.
These conditions can be as complex as you like. You can e.g. add conditions on your birth date, the current vast user, super user conditions, outside temperatures,...
;-) What ever you like.

After that you should be able to add required maps.

Cheers!
Sebastian