Why do we use Pharo? a.k.a. rethinking Pharo marketing

Why do we use Pharo? a.k.a. rethinking Pharo marketing

Stéphane Ducasse
I would like to get from you why you use Pharo?

After thinking a lot about that recently I think that I would like to have something like that:

Pharo a plastic language to build evolvable and debuggable applications.
With Pharo and its ecosystem you can build powerful tools (web application, data management, business processes…).  Pharo philosophy is driven by domain driven design. Modeling is agile. Pharo is an executable modeling language. Pharo is not only a language but an infrastructure with powerful tools like Moose.

        Plastic = "(in science and technology) of or relating to the permanent deformation of a solid without fracture by the temporary application of force."

Pharo: ease of modeling, essence of agile, close to objects all the time.

Re: Why do we use Pharo? a.k.a. rethinking Pharo marketing

S Krish
* Advertising is about target audience..

* One needs to advertise only if there no definitive uniqueness for the target audience

I would prefer if the message is like the Apple focus:

   * Pharo will be the best enterprise platform in 2 years: State the technical roadmap in say 6 month release cycles.

  * Identify and project credible projects/ products using frameworks that are really capable of being viral.

   ( Frozen really stable, the best kernel that is not materially going to shake or change, Other goals, frameworks are hard fixed , clear roadmap, We already are beginning to have a more vibrant research activity that is adjunct and important but not the major factor in enterprise decisions.  ).

To achieve that message it should be implicitly felt not explicitly stated by any serious quick research:

Let the enterprise folks come in , try , feel and agree it is the best, we do not/ should not need to really market it.

We need to market a product which either really lacks differentiation, or is a pure consumer product.

   * The Pharo website be continually improved to reflect that clean, minimal but complete professionalism.

   * Pharo Consortium may stoke any serious effort by any individual or small group for startups.. You never know which startup later becomes the Google, Facebook of tomorrow.. to achieve in one stroke all that you need to.

 * Need to have Martin Fowler's , Kent Beck's of the world using Pharo as the base of their Industrial Research: not Ruby or Java .. if possible.. identify how n why.. typically it is this group that has made the difference of adoption by seeding the argument

 * Can we synergize with VW: Pharo should be the perfect vehicle for any enterprise to start out with and later optionally move to running on top of VW like the Weblogic/ Websphere capabilities over a core free Java. They can stay on with Pharo like 3D ICC supports for Teleplace with squeak.

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like to get from you why you use Pharo?

After thinking a lot about that recently I think that I would like to have something like that:

Pharo a plastic language to build evolvable and debuggable applications.
With Pharo and its ecosystem you can build powerful tools (web application, data management, business processes…).  Pharo philosophy is driven by domain driven design. Modeling is agile. Pharo is an executable modeling language. Pharo is not only a language but an infrastructure with powerful tools like Moose.

       Plastic = "(in science and technology) of or relating to the permanent deformation of a solid without fracture by the temporary application of force."

Pharo: ease of modeling, essence of agile, close to objects all the time.

Re: Why do we use Pharo? a.k.a. rethinking Pharo marketing

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 19 Feb 2012, at 13:43, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I would like to get from you why you use Pharo?
>

> After thinking a lot about that recently I think that I would like to have something like that:
>
> Pharo a plastic language to build evolvable and debuggable applications.
> With Pharo and its ecosystem you can build powerful tools (web application, data management, business processes…).  Pharo philosophy is driven by domain driven design. Modeling is agile. Pharo is an executable modeling language. Pharo is not only a language but an infrastructure with powerful tools like Moose.
>
> Plastic = "(in science and technology) of or relating to the permanent deformation of a solid without fracture by the temporary application of force."
>
> Pharo: ease of modeling, essence of agile, close to objects all the time.
>
> Stef

Yes, I think this is a pretty good description and vision !

Sven

Re: Why do we use Pharo? a.k.a. rethinking Pharo marketing

Helene Bilbo
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
I would like to get from you why you use Pharo?

Pharo a plastic language to build evolvable and debuggable applications.

        Plastic = "(in science and technology) of or relating to the permanent deformation of a solid without fracture by the temporary application of force."

Pharo: ease of modeling, essence of agile, close to objects all the time.

Stef
The "plastic" metaphor is really good!

I was introduced to Smalltalk by someone describing it as "you install it and then you change the Smalltalk installation until it has the functionality you wish."

What i love most about Pharo is the evolving documentation ("A comment per day", Pharocasts, Second Volume of PBE, blog of Mariano Martinez Peck)! "More class comments" (more method comments?!) should be the first point in the ActionsInPharoOneDotFour document :)

I cannot resist to add this Andy Warhol quote: "I love Los Angeles. I love Hollywood. They're beautiful. Everybody's plastic, but I love plastic. I want to be plastic."

Re: Why do we use Pharo? a.k.a. rethinking Pharo marketing

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks helene I did not know the quote :)

Stef

On Feb 19, 2012, at 7:44 PM, Helene Bilbo wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote
>>
>> I would like to get from you why you use Pharo?
>>
>> Pharo a plastic language to build evolvable and debuggable applications.
>>
>> Plastic = "(in science and technology) of or relating to the permanent
>> deformation of a solid without fracture by the temporary application of
>> force."
>>
>> Pharo: ease of modeling, essence of agile, close to objects all the time.
>>
>> Stef
>>

> The "plastic" metaphor is really good!
>
> I was introduced to Smalltalk by someone describing it as "you install it
> and then you change the Smalltalk installation until it has the
> functionality you wish."
>
> What i love most about Pharo is the evolving documentation ("A comment per
> day", Pharocasts, Second Volume of PBE, blog of Mariano Martinez Peck)!
> "More class comments" (more method comments?!) should be the first point in
> the ActionsInPharoOneDotFour document :)
>
> I cannot resist to add this Andy Warhol quote: "I love Los Angeles. I love
> Hollywood. They're beautiful. Everybody's plastic, but I love plastic. I
> want to be plastic."

Re: Why do we use Pharo? a.k.a. rethinking Pharo marketing

TedVanGaalen
Hello Stéphane

i use Pharo in combination with Seaside because
it is a really good platform for end user applications.
(although i am currently not so active on this, because
of other IT tasks) This went so far that I didn't even
use the internal GUI for the apps user panels.
instead everything via internet browser..

There should be more Internet Service Providers
which offer (faster) Pharo/Seaside environments.
As of today, most of ISPs don't even know what Seaside or Smalltalk is.
(in-system intranet apps are mostly not a problem, fast enough)

If this providing problem is solved than i see
a great future for Smalltalk web based apps.
because almost everything is in the same
smalltalk environment, easy to program
(well, once you learned Smalltalk)
debug, and maintain. Cool.

I found no other programming language
that is so pleasant to work with as Smalltalk.
and i like the Pharo development environment.

You might recall the discussions i also was involved in
about downward compatibility etc..
we had discussions about the impact of changes.

Therefore:

I'd prefer to see the Pharo environment (metaphorically)
rather like a sun/star:  solid core
and more and more flexible going outwards..

in principle: the deeper (inner) one changes things
the harder it becomes for the outer layer objects (apps)

---

I think Smalltalk will evolve much further through the years

Dreaming of a Smalltalk (or Self?) environment with no
external data (like databases) except import export
(oops, Collection classes need a drastic overhaul then :o)

Everything integrated
concept: VLI (Very Large Image. Terabytes..)

Running IN a mainframe. Like a living entity.
With the computers still rapidly improving
this becomes very feasible.

to backup? simply copy push down the whole image :o)

Kind Regards
Thanks all for Pharo.
Ted

(currently active with system support and making websites.)
www.tedvg.com   (one has to make a living again, hope i succeed.. :o\

On 02/19/2012 01:43 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I would like to get from you why you use Pharo?
>

> After thinking a lot about that recently I think that I would like to have something like that:
>
> Pharo a plastic language to build evolvable and debuggable applications.
> With Pharo and its ecosystem you can build powerful tools (web application, data management, business processes…).  Pharo philosophy is driven by domain driven design. Modeling is agile. Pharo is an executable modeling language. Pharo is not only a language but an infrastructure with powerful tools like Moose.
>
> Plastic = "(in science and technology) of or relating to the permanent deformation of a solid without fracture by the temporary application of force."
>
> Pharo: ease of modeling, essence of agile, close to objects all the time.
>
> Stef

Re: Why do we use Pharo? a.k.a. rethinking Pharo marketing

laurent laffont
On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like to get from you why you use Pharo?

I use Pharo because in this World I am God - I can understand and change everything (inside the World). The core is simple. Easy prototyping.
It's a place to learn. Nice community.

So this is my platform of choice to try things, prototype, create my tools.

The Plastic metaphor seems correct. But keep in mind we have to choose programming systems because they solve problems.
- what kind(s) of problems Pharo will solve best ?
- what kind(s) of users Pharo  want to have ?

It looks like Pharo has a real place on tablets (Hilaire proves it with DrGeo).

Now I'm not sure about "essence of agile". TDD in Pharo does not seem so popular - there's more and more tests, but feedback on testing practices is low.
I would like to see timeboxed iterations with goals for Pharo development process - that would be agile and provide a rhythm.

Laurent

After thinking a lot about that recently I think that I would like to have something like that:

Pharo a plastic language to build evolvable and debuggable applications.
With Pharo and its ecosystem you can build powerful tools (web application, data management, business processes…).  Pharo philosophy is driven by domain driven design. Modeling is agile. Pharo is an executable modeling language. Pharo is not only a language but an infrastructure with powerful tools like Moose.

       Plastic = "(in science and technology) of or relating to the permanent deformation of a solid without fracture by the temporary application of force."

Pharo: ease of modeling, essence of agile, close to objects all the time.

Re: Why do we use Pharo? a.k.a. rethinking Pharo marketing

Nicolás Paez
I use it mainly for teaching at the university:
  • Free (no cost) and Free (open source)
  • The easy setup allows my beginner students to focus on OOP topics
  • Several integrated tools: programming environment + test framework + coverage tool + source control tool. All other popular langages (java, ruby, python, etc, etc) requires several downloads (and setups) to do the same
  • It is portable between different OS and the features we use work exactly the same way everywhere

Saludos!
Nico.
blog: nicopaez.wordpress.com