Why does Iceberg duplicate my Project when loading a baseline?

Why does Iceberg duplicate my Project when loading a baseline?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi guys - its been a while since I’ve had chance to code in Pharo - but I found a moment to pick up an old project - but when I load it into a fresh P8 image using a baseline - it seems to duplicate my project in iceberg? Whats up with that - is this a regression, or is it something abnormal about my project?

Re: Why does Iceberg duplicate my Project when loading a baseline?

Sanjay Minni
it has been happening, I have raised an issue in https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/issues/1404

--
---
Sanjay Minni
cheers,
Sanjay

Re: Why does Iceberg duplicate my Project when loading a baseline?

Tim Mackinnon
Thanks Sanjay - I’ve added my example to your issue too - I think I saw this months ago too, but didn’t realise it was a common thing.

On 27 Jan 2021, at 03:37, Sanjay Minni <[hidden email]> wrote:

it has been happening, I have raised an issue in https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/issues/1404

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 at 04:30, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys - its been a while since I’ve had chance to code in Pharo - but I found a moment to pick up an old project - but when I load it into a fresh P8 image using a baseline - it seems to duplicate my project in iceberg? Whats up with that - is this a regression, or is it something abnormal about my project?

<PastedGraphic-1.png>

--
---
Sanjay Minni
+91-9900-902902

Re: Why does Iceberg duplicate my Project when loading a baseline?

Sanjay Minni
My take is that a focus is needed on Iceberg
after Pharo projects moving to Github (from smalltalkhub), I find iceberg has become more required but somehow I dont get the confidence.
It does funny things. Even mapping a newly created project to a Github repository is vert kludgy
but this is my feeling

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 at 04:24, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

cheers,
Sanjay

Re: Why does Iceberg duplicate my Project when loading a baseline?

Esteban Lorenzano
This is likely you are using two different URLs to clone the project (maybe from a fork?).
Name is not a key, clone URL is... so, iceberg cannot know you are cloning same project?

Esteban

Sanjay Minni
+91-9900-902902

Re: Why does Iceberg duplicate my Project when loading a baseline?

Sanjay Minni
This post was updated on .
For a start

some issues:

1. to create a repository for a new project in GH, assuming a blank
repository has been created in GH, it should be straight path thru
iceberg->(repositories) +Add->clone from github.com then-> add packages and
commit/push - but this does not work, i have to do a fair amount of
workarounds

2. For cloning/pulling an existing pharo project on GH in iceberg -> "clone
from GH" should work but somewhere i was adviced to use "clone remote
repository" instead

[ed:] Ok then there was an issue with Github private repositories - link below to the discussion for users
http://forum.world.st/issues-in-setting-up-a-new-project-on-Github-Iceberg-td5115090.html#a5115100

3. System Browser-> (Dirty package) - right click commit does not work or
the "*" never goes away

and then just now

<http://forum.world.st/file/t368721/icebergErr.jpg

I dont know in which bucket they fall and where these should be raised as
issues / proposed changes but there are quite a few more and the system as a
whole should work stably as i get jittery if code repository does not behave
smoothly

let me know where to propose these changes / raise these issues and they
concern iceberg+the package management system

Esteban Lorenzano wrote
> Feel free to propose changes :)
>
> Esteban
> On Jan 28 2021, at 7:31 am, Sanjay Minni <

> sm@

> > wrote:
>> My take is that a focus is needed on Iceberg
>> after Pharo projects moving to Github (from smalltalkhub), I find iceberg
>> has become more required but somehow I dont get the confidence.
>> It does funny things. Even mapping a newly created project to a Github
>> repository is vert kludgy
>> but this is my feeling
>>

>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 at 04:24, Tim Mackinnon <

> tim@

> > wrote:
>> > Thanks Sanjay - I’ve added my example to your issue too - I think I saw
>> this months ago too, but didn’t realise it was a common thing.

> sm@

>  (mailto:

> sm@

>> https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/issues/1404

> tim@

>  (mailto:

> tim@

>> but I found a moment to pick up an old project - but when I load it into
>> a fresh P8 image using a baseline - it seems to duplicate my project in
>> iceberg? Whats up with that - is this a regression, or is it something
>> abnormal about my project?
>> > > >

> <PastedGraphic-1.png>

>> --
>> Sanjay Minni
>> +91-9900-902902

-----
cheers,
Sanjay
cheers,
Sanjay

Re: Why does Iceberg duplicate my Project when loading a baseline?

Sanjay Minni
Tried thru iceberg - used the option: Clone from GH and then say clone any
of:

- SeasideST/Seaside
- ba-st/willow
- magritte-metamodel/magritte
... any other for that matter

and then right-click->Metacello->install baseline of <>
... and ... Duplicate name appears

Esteban Lorenzano wrote
> This is likely you are using two different URLs to clone the project
> (maybe from a fork?).
> Name is not a key, clone URL is... so, iceberg cannot know you are cloning
> same project?
>
> Esteban
> On Jan 26 2021, at 11:59 pm, Tim Mackinnon &lt;

> tim@

> &gt; wrote:
>> Hi guys - its been a while since I’ve had chance to code in Pharo - but I
>> found a moment to pick up an old project - but when I load it into a
>> fresh P8 image using a baseline - it seems to duplicate my project in
>> iceberg? Whats up with that - is this a regression, or is it something
>> abnormal about my project?

-----
cheers,
Sanjay
cheers,
Sanjay

Re: Why does Iceberg duplicate my Project when loading a baseline?

Sanjay Minni
Ok, we will quit here as this is not on priority list till P9, thanks

Sanjay Minni wrote

> Tried thru iceberg - used the option: Clone from GH and then say clone any
> of:
>
> - SeasideST/Seaside
> - ba-st/willow
> - magritte-metamodel/magritte
> ... any other for that matter
>
> and then right-click->Metacello->install baseline of <>
> ... and ... Duplicate name appears
>

> Esteban Lorenzano wrote
>> This is likely you are using two different URLs to clone the project
>> (maybe from a fork?).
>> Name is not a key, clone URL is... so, iceberg cannot know you are
>> cloning
>> same project?
>>
>> Esteban
>> On Jan 26 2021, at 11:59 pm, Tim Mackinnon &lt;
>
>> tim@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> Hi guys - its been a while since I’ve had chance to code in Pharo - but
>>> found a moment to pick up an old project - but when I load it into a
>>> fresh P8 image using a baseline - it seems to duplicate my project in
>>> iceberg? Whats up with that - is this a regression, or is it something
>>> abnormal about my project?
>

> -----
> cheers,
> Sanjay