Why doesn't Iceberg checkin other assets (scripts) but does check them out?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why doesn't Iceberg checkin other assets (scripts) but does check them out?

Tim Mackinnon

In many parts of the dev world - every commit should be shippable, meaning atomic - particularly with the use of CI systems (Travis, Gitlab etc) that build on every commit. 

Of course you can choose to work a different way - but our tools shouldn’t force a very common practice to be awkward, should they?

I don’t understand why many of you guys are so anti such a common thing. In fact our community pioneered this way of working - a build machine where you loaded all your code and ran all your tests before committing.  Also, a large number of agile teams will council to work on master (and avoid branches - a technique we also pioneered).
In today’s world where we live in a wider polyglot stack this is one of the reasons why git is so attractive as it should easily embraces that.

I get that it’s not quite possible yet - but there are some decent ways to accommodate this (a staging operation, or perhaps a better way to make use of the #addToIndex: which I will experiment with).

Anyway, I’ll shut up - and possibly will learn how to implement it myself. Thinking more, I may also be able run with commit and no push , which I will try - as it’s probably the easiest mechanism if the CI will recognise that (I think it will).

Thanks for the enlightening conversation, and as always the hard work on iceberg that made this conversation even possible.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 15 Jun 2018, at 07:11, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 14.06.2018 um 13:12 schrieb Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]>:

Hi Norbert, Tim,

2018-06-14 11:33 GMT+02:00 Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

Am 14.06.2018 um 10:30 schrieb Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>:

Hi - yes I’m pleased you check out the entire tree, although currently it’s a bit confusing that you do (fortunately this does give the possibility that we can checkout images and other resources that an Pharo application might rely on - without having to resort to the Seaside FileLibrary trick).

However my concrete case was that I have a gitlab ci pipeline and next to my src directory in my project I have a config directory that has some Nginx config for my teapot app. If I add a teapot route, I also need to adjust that config and check both changes in together. I can’t easily do that now?

I can modify /config/app.nginx either in another app (intellij) or even in the simple Pharo text editor, and the I can add my new route in my DemoApp>>createRoutes method but how do I check them in together so my pipeline will build atomically?

Iceberg hasn’t written out the changes yet, so IntelliJ can’t see them to do a commit, and iceberg ignores the parallel /config directory (that it checked out). So it’s a catch 22.

This is why I suggested maybe we could specify safer (textual) directories that iceberg might also checkin? OR we have a Stage command in iceberg that does everything that commit does up to the point of actually writing to the repo - then I could jump to IntelliJ and do the final commit there and use its tools to manage non Pharo stuff (until we can build more)?

Does this make sense?

I don’t understand why you are so eager to have everything into one commit. Usually the tension is rather have small commits. What is the problem of having two commits for this?

A single commit allow one to make sure that both the smalltalk code and the external resource are well in sync, and that you may not ending up in a situation were at commit j has data format v1 and smalltalk code for format v2, because it is in commit j+1 that you rewrote the data in format v2.

Yes, sure but that is only a problem if you lost control over which commit goes into action. I think the problem is in the deployment then. Putting integrity constraints on commits is IMHO the wrong level deployment granularity

Norbert

I had that issue recently with a Pharo / FPGA project with a Pharo package generating state machines to be integrated in a Verilog FPGA design with C code for the drivers, the softcore in the FPGA, and test programs, and both Pharo and the C/FPGA working out of the same test data... And that whole thing getting regularly out of sync.

IMHO: I'd model a concept of "multi-lingual projet" for that sort of things, where one can list, in Pharo, Monticello packages and external files or directories. Whatever the technology you use (OSProcess, libgit, whatever...) it is easy then to commit all this in a single pass. On a per-package basis, I'd see the package manifest as a suitable place for listing external resources. On a per-project basis, a possible place could be the manifest for the BaselineOf the project.

Thierry

Norbert

As an aside - I’d really like to checkin in the play-xxx directories (the .ph files) as there is often useful playground stuff I’d like to access on my home computer. We can’t do that easily at the moment either.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 14 Jun 2018, at 09:12, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just to complement Esteban's answer:

- Iceberg checks out in disk more than the src directory because you **may** want to edit files from the command line, and after long discussions we did not want to forbid that.
Actually, just to put everybody in perspective, at first the idea was to not have a working copy in disk at all, but just hit to the blob.
Imagine is nowadays we are a bit alien, that would have been worst :)

- About checking in files. I'd like to understand what you mean exactly.
  - Do you want to load them into memory?
    This would be the "more consistent" way to do it, following the "the image it its own working copy" metaphore.
    This would allow us to, for example, share an image and transparently share resources with it (without requiring to clone).
    But this would have some impact in memory consumption and add stress to the GC, right?

- Or do you mean to ask like any other Git client and show you the file differences between the working copy and the git index?
    The problem with this approach is that we will have some treatment for pharo code and some different treatment for non-code...
    If I do a change to a class, the change is kept in the image. But if I do a change to a file, that change is not kept in the image!

Also, as Esteban says, having an IDE with support for files would mean that we would need good tools to edit in-memory files (not only text files, right? but also any kind of binary file...)

So far we cover the bare minimum that allows us to *not lose* changes :)

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:07 PM Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> yeah… but is a lot of work and no time just right now.
> long term, it would be cool to manage everything from iceberg.
> but reality check, is a huge amount of work so it has to come step by step.

Fair enough - its pretty cool we’ve got this far, and I guess the onus is on the rest of us to learn more about how its done and see if we can contribute more somehow. I really appreciate the love you’ve already put into this - it works far better than I think we even realised it could.

Tim

> On 13 Jun 2018, at 21:55, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
>> On 13 Jun 2018, at 22:44, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Esteban - so I don't then understand why iceberg (usefully in my view) checks out more than the src directory, if it’s only focusing on the Pharo blob?
>>
>> I’m guessing that by knowing where the src is, you are just committing that part of the tree with libgit?
>>
>> Perhaps from a pragmatic first step you might consider letting us add a second safe resources directory that you could check in atomically as well (on the understanding all bets are off if it goes wrong?)
>>
>> OR could we have a check in mode does all the add/remove operations and writes to disk but then let’s you drop to the command line/other tool to add any other files and do the final commit?
>>
>> I just feel like you/we are so close to something that works a bit more broadly and embrace the wider world.?
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 13 Jun 2018, at 21:28, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>> On 13 Jun 2018, at 16:50, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi - my second attempt at using Pharo with Git has proven very satisfying (I saw the potential in phase 1, but it was often difficult to understand what was happening and the workflow to use).
>>>>
>>>> One thing that has come up a few times for me however - and its something that using git nicely highlights, there are many non-smalltalk assets in my project that don’t need to live in the image (like Seaside FileLibraries were trying to do) but do need to be versioned and be part of my project. Common examples are server config files, images and even the playground history files that are useful to pull up when on another computer.
>>>>
>>>> It seems that while Iceberg does check out a full project, if I change any of the files outside of the src directory (like edit a .txt file using the crude Pharo file editor), those changes don’t get committed when I do a checkin? Is this on purpose? It makes the workflow a bit trickier to do an atomic commit of a piece of work - and I’m not clear whether this is a conscious thing, or an MVP thing (and it will come later).
>>>
>>> workflow is tricker because you are expecting iceberg to talk with the local working copy and to handle that WC.
>>> what happens in fact is different: iceberg treats the image as a working copy itself (it has its own “stage” area) and what you have in disk is like a separated WC.
>>>
>>> at least, this is the metaphor we are using now, because we cannot realistically handle/control what is in disk since it can be anything.
>>> So, instead having this picture in mind:
>>>
>>> Image -> Disk -> Git blob (database)
>>>
>>> you need to have this other:
>>>
>>> Image \
>>>      Git blob (database)
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>> you will see as soon as you change the mental image, your problems are gone ;)
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>> ps: diagram before is not exactly as it is since the image actually writes into disk first, but this is an implementation detail we would like to remove in the future, even.
>>>
>>>>
>>>> As mentioned above, I was also thinking it would be nice if I could checkin some of the play-xxxx/*.sh files to essentially keep some of that history synced between environments (or team members?).
>>>>
>>>> It strikes me that this is the kind of thing that git integration should bring to us?
>>>>
>>>> I can overlay my copy of IntelliJ on top of my local iceberg directory and then use it for checkins - but then I still have the atomic problem, as its only when I commit that tonel files are written out onto the file system for me to checkin along with any other assets I’ve changed. Does anyone else have a good workflow for this? What do you guys do?
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille
CRIStAL - UMR 9189
French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
Hi Tim,

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 10:31 AM Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

In many parts of the dev world - every commit should be shippable, meaning atomic - particularly with the use of CI systems (Travis, Gitlab etc) that build on every commit. 

Of course you can choose to work a different way - but our tools shouldn’t force a very common practice to be awkward, should they?

I don’t understand why many of you guys are so anti such a common thing. In fact our community pioneered this way of working - a build machine where you loaded all your code and ran all your tests before committing.  Also, a large number of agile teams will council to work on master (and avoid branches - a technique we also pioneered).
In today’s world where we live in a wider polyglot stack this is one of the reasons why git is so attractive as it should easily embraces that.

I get that it’s not quite possible yet - but there are some decent ways to accommodate this (a staging operation, or perhaps a better way to make use of the #addToIndex: which I will experiment with).

Anyway, I’ll shut up - and possibly will learn how to implement it myself. Thinking more, I may also be able run with commit and no push , which I will try - as it’s probably the easiest mechanism if the CI will recognise that (I think it will).

Please don't shut up ^^. I really value the feedback.
I see myself the value of both small and atomic/self-contained/complete commits.

In general what happens is that we are few modifying iceberg.
But on the other side we really had given a thought to many of these topics, and many decisions had a reason (even if it is that it is not implemented because it would be too much work :)).
I try to explain them as better as I can, I can probably do better :)

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
In reply to this post by Tim Mackinnon

On 15 Jun 2018, at 10:29, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

but then, you mean every *push* should be shippable :)
that’s something I agree :)

I don’t understand why many of you guys are so anti such a common thing.

I’m not anti. Being “anti” requires a lot of effort I prefer to spend on something else :)
But  in general, I prefer many small commits of tasks. And yes, I prefer those commits to be atomic, but when is not possible I just make sure I do not push until something is finished.

In fact our community pioneered this way of working - a build machine where you loaded all your code and ran all your tests before committing.  Also, a large number of agile teams will council to work on master (and avoid branches - a technique we also pioneered).

hah… we pioneered it as a technique basically because our tools were not capable of branching properly, but well, It can be a way to minimise integration problems, yes (depends on the team, of course).

I think the easiest/fastest way to handle this is to add a “special commit” plugin which could export sources and then delegate commit to an external tool. And it could be a plugin because then people wanting to work with it can load it independently.

do not shut up :)
your opinions and considerations are good and a good way to see a different pov that may be better than ours.

Thanks for the enlightening conversation, and as always the hard work on iceberg that made this conversation even possible.

thank you

Esteban

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Norbert, Tim,

Hi - yes I’m pleased you check out the entire tree, although currently it’s a bit confusing that you do (fortunately this does give the possibility that we can checkout images and other resources that an Pharo application might rely on - without having to resort to the Seaside FileLibrary trick).

However my concrete case was that I have a gitlab ci pipeline and next to my src directory in my project I have a config directory that has some Nginx config for my teapot app. If I add a teapot route, I also need to adjust that config and check both changes in together. I can’t easily do that now?

I can modify /config/app.nginx either in another app (intellij) or even in the simple Pharo text editor, and the I can add my new route in my DemoApp>>createRoutes method but how do I check them in together so my pipeline will build atomically?

Iceberg hasn’t written out the changes yet, so IntelliJ can’t see them to do a commit, and iceberg ignores the parallel /config directory (that it checked out). So it’s a catch 22.

This is why I suggested maybe we could specify safer (textual) directories that iceberg might also checkin? OR we have a Stage command in iceberg that does everything that commit does up to the point of actually writing to the repo - then I could jump to IntelliJ and do the final commit there and use its tools to manage non Pharo stuff (until we can build more)?

Does this make sense?

I don’t understand why you are so eager to have everything into one commit. Usually the tension is rather have small commits. What is the problem of having two commits for this?

A single commit allow one to make sure that both the smalltalk code and the external resource are well in sync, and that you may not ending up in a situation were at commit j has data format v1 and smalltalk code for format v2, because it is in commit j+1 that you rewrote the data in format v2.

Yes, sure but that is only a problem if you lost control over which commit goes into action. I think the problem is in the deployment then. Putting integrity constraints on commits is IMHO the wrong level deployment granularity

Norbert

I had that issue recently with a Pharo / FPGA project with a Pharo package generating state machines to be integrated in a Verilog FPGA design with C code for the drivers, the softcore in the FPGA, and test programs, and both Pharo and the C/FPGA working out of the same test data... And that whole thing getting regularly out of sync.

IMHO: I'd model a concept of "multi-lingual projet" for that sort of things, where one can list, in Pharo, Monticello packages and external files or directories. Whatever the technology you use (OSProcess, libgit, whatever...) it is easy then to commit all this in a single pass. On a per-package basis, I'd see the package manifest as a suitable place for listing external resources. On a per-project basis, a possible place could be the manifest for the BaselineOf the project.

Thierry

Norbert

As an aside - I’d really like to checkin in the play-xxx directories (the .ph files) as there is often useful playground stuff I’d like to access on my home computer. We can’t do that easily at the moment either.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

- Iceberg checks out in disk more than the src directory because you **may** want to edit files from the command line, and after long discussions we did not want to forbid that.
Actually, just to put everybody in perspective, at first the idea was to not have a working copy in disk at all, but just hit to the blob.

This would be the "more consistent" way to do it, following the "the image it its own working copy" metaphore.
    This would allow us to, for example, share an image and transparently share resources with it (without requiring to clone).
    But this would have some impact in memory consumption and add stress to the GC, right?

- Or do you mean to ask like any other Git client and show you the file differences between the working copy and the git index?
    The problem with this approach is that we will have some treatment for pharo code and some different treatment for non-code...
    If I do a change to a class, the change is kept in the image. But if I do a change to a file, that change is not kept in the image!

Also, as Esteban says, having an IDE with support for files would mean that we would need good tools to edit in-memory files (not only text files, right? but also any kind of binary file...)

Fair enough - its pretty cool we’ve got this far, and I guess the onus is on the rest of us to learn more about how its done and see if we can contribute more somehow. I really appreciate the love you’ve already put into this - it works far better than I think we even realised it could.

Tim

>
>
>
>>
>> Esteban - so I don't then understand why iceberg (usefully in my view) checks out more than the src directory, if it’s only focusing on the Pharo blob?
>>
>> I’m guessing that by knowing where the src is, you are just committing that part of the tree with libgit?
>>
>> Perhaps from a pragmatic first step you might consider letting us add a second safe resources directory that you could check in atomically as well (on the understanding all bets are off if it goes wrong?)
>>
>> OR could we have a check in mode does all the add/remove operations and writes to disk but then let’s you drop to the command line/other tool to add any other files and do the final commit?
>>
>> I just feel like you/we are so close to something that works a bit more broadly and embrace the wider world.?
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Hi - my second attempt at using Pharo with Git has proven very satisfying (I saw the potential in phase 1, but it was often difficult to understand what was happening and the workflow to use).
>>>>
>>>> One thing that has come up a few times for me however - and its something that using git nicely highlights, there are many non-smalltalk assets in my project that don’t need to live in the image (like Seaside FileLibraries were trying to do) but do need to be versioned and be part of my project. Common examples are server config files, images and even the playground history files that are useful to pull up when on another computer.
>>>>
>>>> It seems that while Iceberg does check out a full project, if I change any of the files outside of the src directory (like edit a .txt file using the crude Pharo file editor), those changes don’t get committed when I do a checkin? Is this on purpose? It makes the workflow a bit trickier to do an atomic commit of a piece of work - and I’m not clear whether this is a conscious thing, or an MVP thing (and it will come later).
>>>
>>> workflow is tricker because you are expecting iceberg to talk with the local working copy and to handle that WC.
>>> what happens in fact is different: iceberg treats the image as a working copy itself (it has its own “stage” area) and what you have in disk is like a separated WC.
>>>
>>> at least, this is the metaphor we are using now, because we cannot realistically handle/control what is in disk since it can be anything.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>> you will see as soon as you change the mental image, your problems are gone ;)
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>> ps: diagram before is not exactly as it is since the image actually writes into disk first, but this is an implementation detail we would like to remove in the future, even.
>>>
>>>>
>>>> As mentioned above, I was also thinking it would be nice if I could checkin some of the play-xxxx/*.sh files to essentially keep some of that history synced between environments (or team members?).
>>>>
>>>> It strikes me that this is the kind of thing that git integration should bring to us?
>>>>
>>>> I can overlay my copy of IntelliJ on top of my local iceberg directory and then use it for checkins - but then I still have the atomic problem, as its only when I commit that tonel files are written out onto the file system for me to checkin along with any other assets I’ve changed. Does anyone else have a good workflow for this? What do you guys do?
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
In reply to this post by Tim Mackinnon

Am 15.06.2018 um 10:29 schrieb Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>:

To be honest I don’t like such comments. Do you have a proof for „many parts of the world“? I do not get why every commit should be shippable. To me it sounds like a misplaced constraint. And for every project that is not pretty simple I doubt it can work at all. Commits are commits and a shippable product is shippable product not much in common. 

Again. Where is this common practice? You cannot just state such things without proof in order to back your argument. I can see that in some scenarios it comes in handy that such commits ease some things. But I do not agree to see that this is or should be the common case. 

I don’t think I am anti. I don’t get your point making this a common thing. I think that wanting commits spawning multiple repos is much more common. 

No, do no shut up. Just proof your point. We cannot support every possible use case. 

Norbert

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Norbert, Tim,

Does this make sense?

Norbert

Thierry

Norbert

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim

>
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

Reply | Threaded
|

tblanchard
In reply to this post by EstebanLM

On Jun 15, 2018, at 2:05 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

The way we run projects - pushing to master is forbidden.  You push your work to a feature specific branch, a CI server runs all the tests in the branch every push.  We create pull requests from the github project page, people review them and when the tests are green and reviewers approve, we perform the merge on github.

Never touch master (or whatever branch you pick for main trunk) outside of github.  Always perform new work in new branch.

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
Tod/Norbert - I won’t shy away from answering your comments on this - but if its ok - lets move that conversation to a new thread. I don’t want to distract away from how one actually does some form of atomic checkin (and I’m talking a small one - one Smalltalk class, one associated text file).

I earlier tried doing a change on a class - committing, but not pushing and then switching to IntelliJ to then commit and push my config file change - and it didn’t seem to work - which surprised me, so I’m gong to redo my test again with the the latest Iceberg 1.1 in a new image (and also make sure my IntelliJ is attached to the same local repo). This seems like the closest root to how I would like to work (albeit a slightly bit more complicated than I would like, but certainly doable).

Tim

On 15 Jun 2018, at 18:26, Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]> wrote:

The way we run projects - pushing to master is forbidden.  You push your work to a feature specific branch, a CI server runs all the tests in the branch every push.  We create pull requests from the github project page, people review them and when the tests are green and reviewers approve, we perform the merge on github.

Never touch master (or whatever branch you pick for main trunk) outside of github.  Always perform new work in new branch.

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
In reply to this post by tblanchard
Phew - I can confirm that (unsurprisingly I guess) - just committing in Iceberg (without ticking - push changes to origin/master) does then let you easily overlay the same checked out project (typically ./iceberg/ProjectName) in a tool like VSCode or IntelliJ where you can then also commit further changes to files that Iceberg is ignoring (essentially everything not in the src directory - typically candidates would be your Readme.md file and possibly a ./scripts or ./assets directory).

In that other tool you can then issue a push which will then atomically push all commits to a pipeline. It can be a little more tricky to understand what the pipeline is building - in Gitlab it will show you the comment of the most recent commit in the pipeline, however if you then click on the branch the pipeline is running on, you will get a list of commits and can see all the commits that are between the running pipeline and the previously run pipeline.

For many of you - this might be pleadingly obvious - but when you have a different workflow mindset in your head, it might be trickier to spot this subtlety.

Tim

p.s. Thanks for all the useful debate in this thread. I should add that when I wrote “I’ll shut up” - a meant more that I felt the conversation was going in a cycle and repeating itself, not that I was offended or frustrated. I can probably live with the above nuance for my desire for atomic commits.

p.p.s It hadn’t occurred to me that the most common use case where people will hit a similar problem to me - is that Readme.md file. Definitely that is one where it should possibly automatically added to the index, or catered for - as it is really just a text file right?

On 15 Jun 2018, at 18:26, Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]> wrote:

Reply | Threaded
|

Esteban A. Maringolo
On 15/06/2018 20:00, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> Phew - I can confirm that (unsurprisingly I guess) - just committing in
> Iceberg (without ticking - push changes to origin/master) does then let
> you easily overlay the same checked out project (typically
> ./iceberg/ProjectName) in a tool like VSCode or IntelliJ where you can
> then also commit further changes to files that Iceberg is ignoring
> (essentially everything not in the src directory - typically candidates
> would be your Readme.md file and possibly a ./scripts or ./assets
> directory).

That could work as a *workaround* to a design decision that made the
image the "staging" of a git commit.

> In that other tool you can then issue a push which will then atomically
> push all commits to a pipeline. It can be a little more tricky to
> understand what the pipeline is building - in Gitlab it will show you
> the comment of the most recent commit in the pipeline, however if you
> then click on the branch the pipeline is running on, you will get a list
> of commits and can see all the commits that are between the running
> pipeline and the previously run pipeline.
>
> For many of you - this might be pleadingly obvious - but when you have a
> different workflow mindset in your head, it might be trickier to spot
> this subtlety.

But it's not what I'd expect when using git, in particular if you use
commit commands and/or CI, because if you add a comment like like "Fixes
Issue #2345" in your Iceberg commit, then your secondary commit (the one
done "externally" will look detached, you should replicate the commit
comment, so your CI will show the comment of the commit on which it's
building, etc.

Git favors small commits, but other tools expect atomic commits. They're
not exclusive.