Why doesn't Iceberg checkin other assets (scripts) but does check them out?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why doesn't Iceberg checkin other assets (scripts) but does check them out?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi - my second attempt at using Pharo with Git has proven very satisfying (I saw the potential in phase 1, but it was often difficult to understand what was happening and the workflow to use).

One thing that has come up a few times for me however - and its something that using git nicely highlights, there are many non-smalltalk assets in my project that don’t need to live in the image (like Seaside FileLibraries were trying to do) but do need to be versioned and be part of my project. Common examples are server config files, images and even the playground history files that are useful to pull up when on another computer.

It seems that while Iceberg does check out a full project, if I change any of the files outside of the src directory (like edit a .txt file using the crude Pharo file editor), those changes don’t get committed when I do a checkin? Is this on purpose? It makes the workflow a bit trickier to do an atomic commit of a piece of work - and I’m not clear whether this is a conscious thing, or an MVP thing (and it will come later).

As mentioned above, I was also thinking it would be nice if I could checkin some of the play-xxxx/*.sh files to essentially keep some of that history synced between environments (or team members?).

It strikes me that this is the kind of thing that git integration should bring to us?

I can overlay my copy of IntelliJ on top of my local iceberg directory and then use it for checkins - but then I still have the atomic problem, as its only when I commit that tonel files are written out onto the file system for me to checkin along with any other assets I’ve changed. Does anyone else have a good workflow for this? What do you guys do?

Tim
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Why doesn't Iceberg checkin other assets (scripts) but does check them out?

Esteban A. Maringolo
On 13/06/2018 11:50, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> Hi - my second attempt at using Pharo with Git has proven very satisfying (I saw the potential in phase 1, but it was often difficult to understand what was happening and the workflow to use).
>
> One thing that has come up a few times for me however - and its something that using git nicely highlights, there are many non-smalltalk assets in my project that don’t need to live in the image (like Seaside FileLibraries were trying to do) but do need to be versioned and be part of my project. Common examples are server config files, images and even the playground history files that are useful to pull up when on another computer.

> [SNIP]

> It strikes me that this is the kind of thing that git integration should bring to us?

Of the mentioned benefits of using Git (or any other file based SCM) was
exactly that of versioning "external" assets.

You could do that with filetree/gitfiletree.

But I guess that given then tight integration of Iceberg with git and
the Pharo workflow, to "sync" ("commit") external files, these should be
visible to Iceberg as well, and should be added for staging on each
commit, which means that Iceberg should have a "file explorer" of some
sort integrated into its GUI.

Regards,

--
Esteban A. Maringolo

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
In reply to this post by Tim Mackinnon
hi,

> On 13 Jun 2018, at 16:50, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi - my second attempt at using Pharo with Git has proven very satisfying (I saw the potential in phase 1, but it was often difficult to understand what was happening and the workflow to use).
>
> One thing that has come up a few times for me however - and its something that using git nicely highlights, there are many non-smalltalk assets in my project that don’t need to live in the image (like Seaside FileLibraries were trying to do) but do need to be versioned and be part of my project. Common examples are server config files, images and even the playground history files that are useful to pull up when on another computer.
>
> It seems that while Iceberg does check out a full project, if I change any of the files outside of the src directory (like edit a .txt file using the crude Pharo file editor), those changes don’t get committed when I do a checkin? Is this on purpose? It makes the workflow a bit trickier to do an atomic commit of a piece of work - and I’m not clear whether this is a conscious thing, or an MVP thing (and it will come later).

workflow is tricker because you are expecting iceberg to talk with the local working copy and to handle that WC.
what happens in fact is different: iceberg treats the image as a working copy itself (it has its own “stage” area) and what you have in disk is like a separated WC.

at least, this is the metaphor we are using now, because we cannot realistically handle/control what is in disk since it can be anything.
So, instead having this picture in mind:

Image -> Disk -> Git blob (database)

you need to have this other:

Image \
                Git blob (database)
Disk    /

you will see as soon as you change the mental image, your problems are gone ;)

cheers!
Esteban

ps: diagram before is not exactly as it is since the image actually writes into disk first, but this is an implementation detail we would like to remove in the future, even.

>
> As mentioned above, I was also thinking it would be nice if I could checkin some of the play-xxxx/*.sh files to essentially keep some of that history synced between environments (or team members?).
>
> It strikes me that this is the kind of thing that git integration should bring to us?
>
> I can overlay my copy of IntelliJ on top of my local iceberg directory and then use it for checkins - but then I still have the atomic problem, as its only when I commit that tonel files are written out onto the file system for me to checkin along with any other assets I’ve changed. Does anyone else have a good workflow for this? What do you guys do?
>
> Tim

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
Esteban - so I don't then understand why iceberg (usefully in my view) checks out more than the src directory, if it’s only focusing on the Pharo blob?

I’m guessing that by knowing where the src is, you are just committing that part of the tree with libgit?

Perhaps from a pragmatic first step you might consider letting us add a second safe resources directory that you could check in atomically as well (on the understanding all bets are off if it goes wrong?)

OR could we have a check in mode does all the add/remove operations and writes to disk but then let’s you drop to the command line/other tool to add any other files and do the final commit?

I just feel like you/we are so close to something that works a bit more broadly and embrace the wider world.?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 13 Jun 2018, at 21:28, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> hi,
>
>
>> On 13 Jun 2018, at 16:50, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi - my second attempt at using Pharo with Git has proven very satisfying (I saw the potential in phase 1, but it was often difficult to understand what was happening and the workflow to use).
>>
>> One thing that has come up a few times for me however - and its something that using git nicely highlights, there are many non-smalltalk assets in my project that don’t need to live in the image (like Seaside FileLibraries were trying to do) but do need to be versioned and be part of my project. Common examples are server config files, images and even the playground history files that are useful to pull up when on another computer.
>>
>> It seems that while Iceberg does check out a full project, if I change any of the files outside of the src directory (like edit a .txt file using the crude Pharo file editor), those changes don’t get committed when I do a checkin? Is this on purpose? It makes the workflow a bit trickier to do an atomic commit of a piece of work - and I’m not clear whether this is a conscious thing, or an MVP thing (and it will come later).
>
> workflow is tricker because you are expecting iceberg to talk with the local working copy and to handle that WC.
> what happens in fact is different: iceberg treats the image as a working copy itself (it has its own “stage” area) and what you have in disk is like a separated WC.
>
> at least, this is the metaphor we are using now, because we cannot realistically handle/control what is in disk since it can be anything.
> So, instead having this picture in mind:
>
> Image -> Disk -> Git blob (database)
>
> you need to have this other:
>
> Image \
>        Git blob (database)
> Disk    /
>
>
> you will see as soon as you change the mental image, your problems are gone ;)
>
> cheers!
> Esteban
>
> ps: diagram before is not exactly as it is since the image actually writes into disk first, but this is an implementation detail we would like to remove in the future, even.
>
>>
>> As mentioned above, I was also thinking it would be nice if I could checkin some of the play-xxxx/*.sh files to essentially keep some of that history synced between environments (or team members?).
>>
>> It strikes me that this is the kind of thing that git integration should bring to us?
>>
>> I can overlay my copy of IntelliJ on top of my local iceberg directory and then use it for checkins - but then I still have the atomic problem, as its only when I commit that tonel files are written out onto the file system for me to checkin along with any other assets I’ve changed. Does anyone else have a good workflow for this? What do you guys do?
>>
>> Tim
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM

> On 13 Jun 2018, at 22:44, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Esteban - so I don't then understand why iceberg (usefully in my view) checks out more than the src directory, if it’s only focusing on the Pharo blob?
>
> I’m guessing that by knowing where the src is, you are just committing that part of the tree with libgit?
>
> Perhaps from a pragmatic first step you might consider letting us add a second safe resources directory that you could check in atomically as well (on the understanding all bets are off if it goes wrong?)
>
> OR could we have a check in mode does all the add/remove operations and writes to disk but then let’s you drop to the command line/other tool to add any other files and do the final commit?
>
> I just feel like you/we are so close to something that works a bit more broadly and embrace the wider world.?

yeah… but is a lot of work and no time just right now.
long term, it would be cool to manage everything from iceberg.
but reality check, is a huge amount of work so it has to come step by step.

>
> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 13 Jun 2018, at 21:28, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> hi,
>>
>>
>>> On 13 Jun 2018, at 16:50, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi - my second attempt at using Pharo with Git has proven very satisfying (I saw the potential in phase 1, but it was often difficult to understand what was happening and the workflow to use).
>>>
>>> One thing that has come up a few times for me however - and its something that using git nicely highlights, there are many non-smalltalk assets in my project that don’t need to live in the image (like Seaside FileLibraries were trying to do) but do need to be versioned and be part of my project. Common examples are server config files, images and even the playground history files that are useful to pull up when on another computer.
>>>
>>> It seems that while Iceberg does check out a full project, if I change any of the files outside of the src directory (like edit a .txt file using the crude Pharo file editor), those changes don’t get committed when I do a checkin? Is this on purpose? It makes the workflow a bit trickier to do an atomic commit of a piece of work - and I’m not clear whether this is a conscious thing, or an MVP thing (and it will come later).
>>
>> workflow is tricker because you are expecting iceberg to talk with the local working copy and to handle that WC.
>> what happens in fact is different: iceberg treats the image as a working copy itself (it has its own “stage” area) and what you have in disk is like a separated WC.
>>
>> at least, this is the metaphor we are using now, because we cannot realistically handle/control what is in disk since it can be anything.
>> So, instead having this picture in mind:
>>
>> Image -> Disk -> Git blob (database)
>>
>> you need to have this other:
>>
>> Image \
>>       Git blob (database)
>> Disk    /
>>
>>
>> you will see as soon as you change the mental image, your problems are gone ;)
>>
>> cheers!
>> Esteban
>>
>> ps: diagram before is not exactly as it is since the image actually writes into disk first, but this is an implementation detail we would like to remove in the future, even.
>>
>>>
>>> As mentioned above, I was also thinking it would be nice if I could checkin some of the play-xxxx/*.sh files to essentially keep some of that history synced between environments (or team members?).
>>>
>>> It strikes me that this is the kind of thing that git integration should bring to us?
>>>
>>> I can overlay my copy of IntelliJ on top of my local iceberg directory and then use it for checkins - but then I still have the atomic problem, as its only when I commit that tonel files are written out onto the file system for me to checkin along with any other assets I’ve changed. Does anyone else have a good workflow for this? What do you guys do?
>>>
>>> Tim
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon

> yeah… but is a lot of work and no time just right now.
> long term, it would be cool to manage everything from iceberg.
> but reality check, is a huge amount of work so it has to come step by step.

Fair enough - its pretty cool we’ve got this far, and I guess the onus is on the rest of us to learn more about how its done and see if we can contribute more somehow. I really appreciate the love you’ve already put into this - it works far better than I think we even realised it could.

Tim

> On 13 Jun 2018, at 21:55, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
>> On 13 Jun 2018, at 22:44, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Esteban - so I don't then understand why iceberg (usefully in my view) checks out more than the src directory, if it’s only focusing on the Pharo blob?
>>
>> I’m guessing that by knowing where the src is, you are just committing that part of the tree with libgit?
>>
>> Perhaps from a pragmatic first step you might consider letting us add a second safe resources directory that you could check in atomically as well (on the understanding all bets are off if it goes wrong?)
>>
>> OR could we have a check in mode does all the add/remove operations and writes to disk but then let’s you drop to the command line/other tool to add any other files and do the final commit?
>>
>> I just feel like you/we are so close to something that works a bit more broadly and embrace the wider world.?
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 13 Jun 2018, at 21:28, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>> On 13 Jun 2018, at 16:50, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi - my second attempt at using Pharo with Git has proven very satisfying (I saw the potential in phase 1, but it was often difficult to understand what was happening and the workflow to use).
>>>>
>>>> One thing that has come up a few times for me however - and its something that using git nicely highlights, there are many non-smalltalk assets in my project that don’t need to live in the image (like Seaside FileLibraries were trying to do) but do need to be versioned and be part of my project. Common examples are server config files, images and even the playground history files that are useful to pull up when on another computer.
>>>>
>>>> It seems that while Iceberg does check out a full project, if I change any of the files outside of the src directory (like edit a .txt file using the crude Pharo file editor), those changes don’t get committed when I do a checkin? Is this on purpose? It makes the workflow a bit trickier to do an atomic commit of a piece of work - and I’m not clear whether this is a conscious thing, or an MVP thing (and it will come later).
>>>
>>> workflow is tricker because you are expecting iceberg to talk with the local working copy and to handle that WC.
>>> what happens in fact is different: iceberg treats the image as a working copy itself (it has its own “stage” area) and what you have in disk is like a separated WC.
>>>
>>> at least, this is the metaphor we are using now, because we cannot realistically handle/control what is in disk since it can be anything.
>>> So, instead having this picture in mind:
>>>
>>> Image -> Disk -> Git blob (database)
>>>
>>> you need to have this other:
>>>
>>> Image \
>>>      Git blob (database)
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>> you will see as soon as you change the mental image, your problems are gone ;)
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>> ps: diagram before is not exactly as it is since the image actually writes into disk first, but this is an implementation detail we would like to remove in the future, even.
>>>
>>>>
>>>> As mentioned above, I was also thinking it would be nice if I could checkin some of the play-xxxx/*.sh files to essentially keep some of that history synced between environments (or team members?).
>>>>
>>>> It strikes me that this is the kind of thing that git integration should bring to us?
>>>>
>>>> I can overlay my copy of IntelliJ on top of my local iceberg directory and then use it for checkins - but then I still have the atomic problem, as its only when I commit that tonel files are written out onto the file system for me to checkin along with any other assets I’ve changed. Does anyone else have a good workflow for this? What do you guys do?
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
Just to complement Esteban's answer:

- Iceberg checks out in disk more than the src directory because you **may** want to edit files from the command line, and after long discussions we did not want to forbid that.
Actually, just to put everybody in perspective, at first the idea was to not have a working copy in disk at all, but just hit to the blob.
Imagine is nowadays we are a bit alien, that would have been worst :)

- About checking in files. I'd like to understand what you mean exactly.
  - Do you want to load them into memory?
    This would be the "more consistent" way to do it, following the "the image it its own working copy" metaphore.
    This would allow us to, for example, share an image and transparently share resources with it (without requiring to clone).
    But this would have some impact in memory consumption and add stress to the GC, right?

- Or do you mean to ask like any other Git client and show you the file differences between the working copy and the git index?
    The problem with this approach is that we will have some treatment for pharo code and some different treatment for non-code...
    If I do a change to a class, the change is kept in the image. But if I do a change to a file, that change is not kept in the image!

Also, as Esteban says, having an IDE with support for files would mean that we would need good tools to edit in-memory files (not only text files, right? but also any kind of binary file...)

So far we cover the bare minimum that allows us to *not lose* changes :)

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:07 PM Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Fair enough - its pretty cool we’ve got this far, and I guess the onus is on the rest of us to learn more about how its done and see if we can contribute more somehow. I really appreciate the love you’ve already put into this - it works far better than I think we even realised it could.

Tim

>
>
>
>>
>> Esteban - so I don't then understand why iceberg (usefully in my view) checks out more than the src directory, if it’s only focusing on the Pharo blob?
>>
>> I’m guessing that by knowing where the src is, you are just committing that part of the tree with libgit?
>>
>> Perhaps from a pragmatic first step you might consider letting us add a second safe resources directory that you could check in atomically as well (on the understanding all bets are off if it goes wrong?)
>>
>> OR could we have a check in mode does all the add/remove operations and writes to disk but then let’s you drop to the command line/other tool to add any other files and do the final commit?
>>
>> I just feel like you/we are so close to something that works a bit more broadly and embrace the wider world.?
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Hi - my second attempt at using Pharo with Git has proven very satisfying (I saw the potential in phase 1, but it was often difficult to understand what was happening and the workflow to use).
>>>>
>>>> One thing that has come up a few times for me however - and its something that using git nicely highlights, there are many non-smalltalk assets in my project that don’t need to live in the image (like Seaside FileLibraries were trying to do) but do need to be versioned and be part of my project. Common examples are server config files, images and even the playground history files that are useful to pull up when on another computer.
>>>>
>>>> It seems that while Iceberg does check out a full project, if I change any of the files outside of the src directory (like edit a .txt file using the crude Pharo file editor), those changes don’t get committed when I do a checkin? Is this on purpose? It makes the workflow a bit trickier to do an atomic commit of a piece of work - and I’m not clear whether this is a conscious thing, or an MVP thing (and it will come later).
>>>
>>> workflow is tricker because you are expecting iceberg to talk with the local working copy and to handle that WC.
>>> what happens in fact is different: iceberg treats the image as a working copy itself (it has its own “stage” area) and what you have in disk is like a separated WC.
>>>
>>> at least, this is the metaphor we are using now, because we cannot realistically handle/control what is in disk since it can be anything.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Image \
>>>      Git blob (database)
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>> you will see as soon as you change the mental image, your problems are gone ;)
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>> ps: diagram before is not exactly as it is since the image actually writes into disk first, but this is an implementation detail we would like to remove in the future, even.
>>>
>>>>
>>>> As mentioned above, I was also thinking it would be nice if I could checkin some of the play-xxxx/*.sh files to essentially keep some of that history synced between environments (or team members?).
>>>>
>>>> It strikes me that this is the kind of thing that git integration should bring to us?
>>>>
>>>> I can overlay my copy of IntelliJ on top of my local iceberg directory and then use it for checkins - but then I still have the atomic problem, as its only when I commit that tonel files are written out onto the file system for me to checkin along with any other assets I’ve changed. Does anyone else have a good workflow for this? What do you guys do?
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
Hi - yes I’m pleased you check out the entire tree, although currently it’s a bit confusing that you do (fortunately this does give the possibility that we can checkout images and other resources that an Pharo application might rely on - without having to resort to the Seaside FileLibrary trick).

However my concrete case was that I have a gitlab ci pipeline and next to my src directory in my project I have a config directory that has some Nginx config for my teapot app. If I add a teapot route, I also need to adjust that config and check both changes in together. I can’t easily do that now?

I can modify /config/app.nginx either in another app (intellij) or even in the simple Pharo text editor, and the I can add my new route in my DemoApp>>createRoutes method but how do I check them in together so my pipeline will build atomically?

Iceberg hasn’t written out the changes yet, so IntelliJ can’t see them to do a commit, and iceberg ignores the parallel /config directory (that it checked out). So it’s a catch 22.

This is why I suggested maybe we could specify safer (textual) directories that iceberg might also checkin? OR we have a Stage command in iceberg that does everything that commit does up to the point of actually writing to the repo - then I could jump to IntelliJ and do the final commit there and use its tools to manage non Pharo stuff (until we can build more)?

Does this make sense?

As an aside - I’d really like to checkin in the play-xxx directories (the .ph files) as there is often useful playground stuff I’d like to access on my home computer. We can’t do that easily at the moment either.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 14 Jun 2018, at 09:12, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

- Iceberg checks out in disk more than the src directory because you **may** want to edit files from the command line, and after long discussions we did not want to forbid that.
Actually, just to put everybody in perspective, at first the idea was to not have a working copy in disk at all, but just hit to the blob.

This would be the "more consistent" way to do it, following the "the image it its own working copy" metaphore.
    This would allow us to, for example, share an image and transparently share resources with it (without requiring to clone).
    But this would have some impact in memory consumption and add stress to the GC, right?

- Or do you mean to ask like any other Git client and show you the file differences between the working copy and the git index?
    The problem with this approach is that we will have some treatment for pharo code and some different treatment for non-code...
    If I do a change to a class, the change is kept in the image. But if I do a change to a file, that change is not kept in the image!

Also, as Esteban says, having an IDE with support for files would mean that we would need good tools to edit in-memory files (not only text files, right? but also any kind of binary file...)

Tim

>
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Uhnak
Wait... so it is no longer possible to #addtoIndex: external files from Pharo? I thought that this functionality was supposed to be preserved.

Peter

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:30 AM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi - yes I’m pleased you check out the entire tree, although currently it’s a bit confusing that you do (fortunately this does give the possibility that we can checkout images and other resources that an Pharo application might rely on - without having to resort to the Seaside FileLibrary trick).

However my concrete case was that I have a gitlab ci pipeline and next to my src directory in my project I have a config directory that has some Nginx config for my teapot app. If I add a teapot route, I also need to adjust that config and check both changes in together. I can’t easily do that now?

I can modify /config/app.nginx either in another app (intellij) or even in the simple Pharo text editor, and the I can add my new route in my DemoApp>>createRoutes method but how do I check them in together so my pipeline will build atomically?

Iceberg hasn’t written out the changes yet, so IntelliJ can’t see them to do a commit, and iceberg ignores the parallel /config directory (that it checked out). So it’s a catch 22.

This is why I suggested maybe we could specify safer (textual) directories that iceberg might also checkin? OR we have a Stage command in iceberg that does everything that commit does up to the point of actually writing to the repo - then I could jump to IntelliJ and do the final commit there and use its tools to manage non Pharo stuff (until we can build more)?

Does this make sense?

As an aside - I’d really like to checkin in the play-xxx directories (the .ph files) as there is often useful playground stuff I’d like to access on my home computer. We can’t do that easily at the moment either.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim

>
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
Ooooh - I didn’t know about #addToIndex: that sounds like a possible workaround to my problem (but not a generic solution though).

BTW - I don’t want this to be a criticism, I’m loving the tools and their possibilities!

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 14 Jun 2018, at 09:36, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wait... so it is no longer possible to #addtoIndex: external files from Pharo? I thought that this functionality was supposed to be preserved.

Peter

Does this make sense?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim

>
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
addFileToIndex: and addFilesToIndex: are still there...

We of course have support for changing and committing arbitrary files (actually, pharo code at the end are just arbitrary files!). The difficult part is to bring a consistent UI to life for it...

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:43 AM Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ooooh - I didn’t know about #addToIndex: that sounds like a possible workaround to my problem (but not a generic solution though).

BTW - I don’t want this to be a criticism, I’m loving the tools and their possibilities!

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Peter

Does this make sense?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim

>
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
BTW, addFilesToIndex: will not add files to the git index immediately, it will do it just before a commit only.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:03 AM Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
addFileToIndex: and addFilesToIndex: are still there...

We of course have support for changing and committing arbitrary files (actually, pharo code at the end are just arbitrary files!). The difficult part is to bring a consistent UI to life for it...

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:43 AM Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Peter

Does this make sense?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim

>
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
In reply to this post by Tim Mackinnon

Am 14.06.2018 um 10:30 schrieb Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>:

Does this make sense?

I don’t understand why you are so eager to have everything into one commit. Usually the tension is rather have small commits. What is the problem of having two commits for this? 

Norbert

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim

>
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

Reply | Threaded
|

Thierry Goubier
Hi Norbert, Tim,

2018-06-14 11:33 GMT+02:00 Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

Does this make sense?

I don’t understand why you are so eager to have everything into one commit. Usually the tension is rather have small commits. What is the problem of having two commits for this?

A single commit allow one to make sure that both the smalltalk code and the external resource are well in sync, and that you may not ending up in a situation were at commit j has data format v1 and smalltalk code for format v2, because it is in commit j+1 that you rewrote the data in format v2.

I had that issue recently with a Pharo / FPGA project with a Pharo package generating state machines to be integrated in a Verilog FPGA design with C code for the drivers, the softcore in the FPGA, and test programs, and both Pharo and the C/FPGA working out of the same test data... And that whole thing getting regularly out of sync.

IMHO: I'd model a concept of "multi-lingual projet" for that sort of things, where one can list, in Pharo, Monticello packages and external files or directories. Whatever the technology you use (OSProcess, libgit, whatever...) it is easy then to commit all this in a single pass. On a per-package basis, I'd see the package manifest as a suitable place for listing external resources. On a per-project basis, a possible place could be the manifest for the BaselineOf the project.

Thierry

Norbert

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim

>
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
Yes - I’m a fan of small checkins (not always great at it, but I strive for it) - and yes, the issue I’ve had is the same as what Thierry mentions - my Smalltalk code is tied to an external file which has some rewrite rules that depend on the classes I have in my image. I could possibly generate them from the Smalltalk code (this is something Sean does) - but I can see all kinds of reasons to atomically checkin code together.

It haven’t tried it - but I’m guessing if I stick non smalltalk things in my src directory, that might work (ugly and potentially confusing, but it might do the trick). OR I’ve just learned about #addFilesToIndex: which might help me in this case.

But as a more general (and easier to understand) solution - working well in a polyglot arena and checking other stuff in would be very handy. Hence my “staging” proposal (if it would work?).

Alternatively, I will try and see what happens if I commit locally (without push) and then use my external tool to commit other files and then do the final push t(talking about it here helped me spot what could be an easy workaround). Still, I do hope we can keep working on the tools to get to something a bit more sophisticated - as the full atomic commit is the obvious end goal.

Tim

On 14 Jun 2018, at 12:12, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Norbert, Tim,

2018-06-14 11:33 GMT+02:00 Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

Does this make sense?

A single commit allow one to make sure that both the smalltalk code and the external resource are well in sync, and that you may not ending up in a situation were at commit j has data format v1 and smalltalk code for format v2, because it is in commit j+1 that you rewrote the data in format v2.

I had that issue recently with a Pharo / FPGA project with a Pharo package generating state machines to be integrated in a Verilog FPGA design with C code for the drivers, the softcore in the FPGA, and test programs, and both Pharo and the C/FPGA working out of the same test data... And that whole thing getting regularly out of sync.

IMHO: I'd model a concept of "multi-lingual projet" for that sort of things, where one can list, in Pharo, Monticello packages and external files or directories. Whatever the technology you use (OSProcess, libgit, whatever...) it is easy then to commit all this in a single pass. On a per-package basis, I'd see the package manifest as a suitable place for listing external resources. On a per-project basis, a possible place could be the manifest for the BaselineOf the project.

Thierry

Norbert

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim

> 
> 
> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
>> 
>> Tim
>> 
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> 
>>> 
>>> hi,
>>> 
>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>> 
>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> Tim
>>> 
>>> 
>> 
>> 
> 
> 

-- 

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189
French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Reply | Threaded
|

Thierry Goubier

2018-06-14 15:39 GMT+02:00 Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>:
Yes - I’m a fan of small checkins (not always great at it, but I strive for it) - and yes, the issue I’ve had is the same as what Thierry mentions - my Smalltalk code is tied to an external file which has some rewrite rules that depend on the classes I have in my image. I could possibly generate them from the Smalltalk code (this is something Sean does) - but I can see all kinds of reasons to atomically checkin code together.

And generating is not allways possible.

It haven’t tried it - but I’m guessing if I stick non smalltalk things in my src directory, that might work (ugly and potentially confusing, but it might do the trick). OR I’ve just learned about #addFilesToIndex: which might help me in this case.

I wouldn't put things in the src directory. FileTree, for one, is implemented by "I erase everything on-disk, then I write back my package", which has a non-negligeable chance of erasing non-Smalltalk data in there.

The addFilesToIndex: should work, but the question becomes what is the hook to automatically call it when saving your project with Iceberg.

But as a more general (and easier to understand) solution - working well in a polyglot arena and checking other stuff in would be very handy. Hence my “staging” proposal (if it would work?).

Probably, yes.

Alternatively, I will try and see what happens if I commit locally (without push) and then use my external tool to commit other files and then do the final push t(talking about it here helped me spot what could be an easy workaround). Still, I do hope we can keep working on the tools to get to something a bit more sophisticated - as the full atomic commit is the obvious end goal.

Consider using git squash, then. And calling git squash could be automated.

One run the risk of turning Iceberg in a complete language-agnostic git client, which could make it too big to be sustainable in the long term.

Thierry

Tim

On 14 Jun 2018, at 12:12, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Norbert, Tim,

2018-06-14 11:33 GMT+02:00 Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

Does this make sense?

Thierry

Norbert

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim

> 
> 
> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
>> 
>> Tim
>> 
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> 
>>> 
>>> hi,
>>> 
>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>> 
>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> Tim
>>> 
>>> 
>> 
>> 
> 
> 

-- 

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189
French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
In reply to this post by Thierry Goubier

Am 14.06.2018 um 13:12 schrieb Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]>:

Hi Norbert, Tim,

Does this make sense?

Yes, sure but that is only a problem if you lost control over which commit goes into action. I think the problem is in the deployment then. Putting integrity constraints on commits is IMHO the wrong level deployment granularity

Norbert

Thierry

Norbert

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim

>
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM

On 15 Jun 2018, at 08:11, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Norbert, Tim,

Does this make sense?

Yes, sure but that is only a problem if you lost control over which commit goes into action. I think the problem is in the deployment then. Putting integrity constraints on commits is IMHO the wrong level deployment granularity

+1
git favours many small commits.

Esteban

Norbert

Thierry

Norbert

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim

>
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

Reply | Threaded
|

Thierry Goubier
In reply to this post by NorbertHartl

2018-06-15 8:11 GMT+02:00 Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

Hi Norbert, Tim,

Does this make sense?

That may be.

But I'm not used to consider co-working on the same branch with my HW engineer as "deployment"...

Thierry

Norbert

Thierry

Norbert

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim

>
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

Reply | Threaded
|

Thierry Goubier
In reply to this post by EstebanLM

2018-06-15 8:19 GMT+02:00 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:

On 15 Jun 2018, at 08:11, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Norbert, Tim,

Does this make sense?

+1
git favours many small commits.

.. and suggests you use rebase, squash and etc... to make sense of those many small commits.

Thierry

Esteban

Norbert

Thierry

Norbert

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim

>
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Image \
>>> Disk    /
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tim
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer