Why doesn't Pharo 7 Iceberg write changes to the git filesystem as you go?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why doesn't Pharo 7 Iceberg write changes to the git filesystem as you go?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi - when trying out the new Iceberg with a bunch of developers and explaining the challenges of integrating git and files into a smalltalk realm of the image - there was a lot of interest in how this works.

When you clone - you obviously see a series of files (in Tonel - nice) that are then brought into your image. If you edit a file like Readme.md (using a markdown editor) you will notice that git status will show you that this file has changed. However if you then edit some methods - and then look in the file system - git status doesn’t show these? This in retrospect possibly feels weird - or does it? I’m not sure anymore - and was wondering if there was a specific reason behind not mirroring code changes back to the file system as they happen?

When you branch in Pharo, a command line git status does show that change - so some things clearly are being mirrored, just not code (Which I’m guess happens briefly when you click commit?).

I’m curious now to understand the tradeoffs.

Tim

p.s. it is very nice for small private projects, to use a git client on your phone - edit a method or two on the train, commit your changes and then see your CI build the results and deploy a new website by the time you get off… yes its not the rich smalltalk environment for bigger changes - but tiny stuff, its quite nice to fallback on the traditional way.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Why doesn't Pharo 7 Iceberg write changes to the git filesystem as you go?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Partial answer, but you saw this, right ?

https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/wiki/Iceberg-glossary

> On 22 May 2018, at 17:23, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi - when trying out the new Iceberg with a bunch of developers and explaining the challenges of integrating git and files into a smalltalk realm of the image - there was a lot of interest in how this works.
>
> When you clone - you obviously see a series of files (in Tonel - nice) that are then brought into your image. If you edit a file like Readme.md (using a markdown editor) you will notice that git status will show you that this file has changed. However if you then edit some methods - and then look in the file system - git status doesn’t show these? This in retrospect possibly feels weird - or does it? I’m not sure anymore - and was wondering if there was a specific reason behind not mirroring code changes back to the file system as they happen?
>
> When you branch in Pharo, a command line git status does show that change - so some things clearly are being mirrored, just not code (Which I’m guess happens briefly when you click commit?).
>
> I’m curious now to understand the tradeoffs.
>
> Tim
>
> p.s. it is very nice for small private projects, to use a git client on your phone - edit a method or two on the train, commit your changes and then see your CI build the results and deploy a new website by the time you get off… yes its not the rich smalltalk environment for bigger changes - but tiny stuff, its quite nice to fallback on the traditional way.
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Esteban A. Maringolo
In reply to this post by Tim Mackinnon
I agree with you that it is weird, but as I understand it it is
because the process of "Saving" a package and "Committing" it is
merged into a single action, so there is no way to "save" the package
other than committing its changes to the repo.

This has the drawback you mentioned, but I guess this enables you to
simultaneously save the same package to more than one repository.

Maybe a diagram could make the whole picture more clear.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

2018-05-22 12:23 GMT-03:00 Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>:

> Hi - when trying out the new Iceberg with a bunch of developers and explaining the challenges of integrating git and files into a smalltalk realm of the image - there was a lot of interest in how this works.
>
> When you clone - you obviously see a series of files (in Tonel - nice) that are then brought into your image. If you edit a file like Readme.md (using a markdown editor) you will notice that git status will show you that this file has changed. However if you then edit some methods - and then look in the file system - git status doesn’t show these? This in retrospect possibly feels weird - or does it? I’m not sure anymore - and was wondering if there was a specific reason behind not mirroring code changes back to the file system as they happen?
>
> When you branch in Pharo, a command line git status does show that change - so some things clearly are being mirrored, just not code (Which I’m guess happens briefly when you click commit?).
>
> I’m curious now to understand the tradeoffs.
>
> Tim
>
> p.s. it is very nice for small private projects, to use a git client on your phone - edit a method or two on the train, commit your changes and then see your CI build the results and deploy a new website by the time you get off… yes its not the rich smalltalk environment for bigger changes - but tiny stuff, its quite nice to fallback on the traditional way.
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
In reply to this post by Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Actually I missed that one - thanks. Would have been a useful one to show everyone when we went through the commit process - it’s very good.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

> On 22 May 2018, at 17:16, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Partial answer, but you saw this, right ?
>
> https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/wiki/Iceberg-glossary
>
>> On 22 May 2018, at 17:23, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi - when trying out the new Iceberg with a bunch of developers and explaining the challenges of integrating git and files into a smalltalk realm of the image - there was a lot of interest in how this works.
>>
>> When you clone - you obviously see a series of files (in Tonel - nice) that are then brought into your image. If you edit a file like Readme.md (using a markdown editor) you will notice that git status will show you that this file has changed. However if you then edit some methods - and then look in the file system - git status doesn’t show these? This in retrospect possibly feels weird - or does it? I’m not sure anymore - and was wondering if there was a specific reason behind not mirroring code changes back to the file system as they happen?
>>
>> When you branch in Pharo, a command line git status does show that change - so some things clearly are being mirrored, just not code (Which I’m guess happens briefly when you click commit?).
>>
>> I’m curious now to understand the tradeoffs.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> p.s. it is very nice for small private projects, to use a git client on your phone - edit a method or two on the train, commit your changes and then see your CI build the results and deploy a new website by the time you get off… yes its not the rich smalltalk environment for bigger changes - but tiny stuff, its quite nice to fallback on the traditional way.
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
In reply to this post by Esteban A. Maringolo
Esteban A. Maringolo wrote
> there is no way to "save" the package other than committing its changes to
> the repo.

In the past, I sorely missed a feature like this. When Iceberg (or I!) was
confused about the state of the local repo/changes/whatever, I wished I had
a way to write to disk and then verify that it did "the right thing" and
manually fix with "normal" git tools if needed. Maybe Iceberg has improved
enough to make this unneeded…

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
In reply to this post by Tim Mackinnon

On 22 May 2018 at 23:23, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi - when trying out the new Iceberg with a bunch of developers and explaining the challenges of integrating git and files into a smalltalk realm of the image - there was a lot of interest in how this works.

When you clone - you obviously see a series of files (in Tonel - nice) that are then brought into your image. If you edit a file like Readme.md (using a markdown editor) you will notice that git status will show you that this file has changed. However if you then edit some methods - and then look in the file system - git status doesn’t show these? This in retrospect possibly feels weird - or does it? I’m not sure anymore - and was wondering if there was a specific reason behind not mirroring code changes back to the file system as they happen?

I guess the conceptual model they have might be of Pharo as a text editor directly changing the files.
Its interesting to consider how that would operate.  Changes are immediately reflected in Epcia files,
and used to be immediately written to ".changes" file, so it seems possible.

More interesting is what to do if the text file is edited outside Pharo.  
If Pharo could observe this and then recompile the new file, 
we might suddenly have a workable "external editor" workflow, 
lack of which is a common complaint by some.

cheers -ben

When you branch in Pharo, a command line git status does show that change - so some things clearly are being mirrored, just not code (Which I’m guess happens briefly when you click commit?).

I’m curious now to understand the tradeoffs.

Tim

p.s. it is very nice for small private projects, to use a git client on your phone - edit a method or two on the train, commit your changes and then see your CI build the results and deploy a new website by the time you get off… yes its not the rich smalltalk environment for bigger changes - but tiny stuff, its quite nice to fallback on the traditional way.

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Uhnak

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 6:42 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 22 May 2018 at 23:23, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

I guess the conceptual model they have might be of Pharo as a text editor directly changing the files.
Its interesting to consider how that would operate.  Changes are immediately reflected in Epcia files,
and used to be immediately written to ".changes" file, so it seems possible.

This is indeed valuable when things go wrong.

More interesting is what to do if the text file is edited outside Pharo.  
If Pharo could observe this and then recompile the new file, 
we might suddenly have a workable "external editor" workflow, 
lack of which is a common complaint by some.

I don't believe that it should be Pharo's concern to waste effort on supporting external editors -- it is throwing so much value of Pharo.

That being said, until git conflicts can be resolved inside Pharo, it is necessary to be able to edit the files by hand. The ability to run the hand-resolved code without committing it (to verify it still works/compiles) seems like a worthwhile feature.

However if you then edit some methods - and then look in the file system - git status doesn’t show these? This in retrospect possibly feels weird - or does it?  

With Iceberg you have two separate working copies. It is not weird from git perspective, however it is a rather unique setup -- even seasoned git users might say... "You can do that? :-o" :) (And yes, it adds some extra cost, but nothing is perfect.)

Peter
Reply | Threaded
|

Thierry Goubier
2018-05-23 15:28 GMT+02:00 Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]>:

>
>
> On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 6:42 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> On 22 May 2018 at 23:23, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi - when trying out the new Iceberg with a bunch of developers and
>>> explaining the challenges of integrating git and files into a smalltalk
>>> realm of the image - there was a lot of interest in how this works.
>>>
>>> When you clone - you obviously see a series of files (in Tonel - nice)
>>> that are then brought into your image. If you edit a file like Readme.md
>>> (using a markdown editor) you will notice that git status will show you that
>>> this file has changed. However if you then edit some methods - and then look
>>> in the file system - git status doesn’t show these? This in retrospect
>>> possibly feels weird - or does it? I’m not sure anymore - and was wondering
>>> if there was a specific reason behind not mirroring code changes back to the
>>> file system as they happen?
>>
>>
>> I guess the conceptual model they have might be of Pharo as a text editor
>> directly changing the files.
>> Its interesting to consider how that would operate.  Changes are
>> immediately reflected in Epcia files,
>> and used to be immediately written to ".changes" file, so it seems
>> possible.
>
>
> This is indeed valuable when things go wrong.

At a point, I was considering using git as the changes file (every
method save and compile in Pharo -> a commit in git)

Didn't try to see if git would handle the load.

>> More interesting is what to do if the text file is edited outside Pharo.
>> If Pharo could observe this and then recompile the new file,
>> we might suddenly have a workable "external editor" workflow,
>> lack of which is a common complaint by some.
>
>
> I don't believe that it should be Pharo's concern to waste effort on
> supporting external editors -- it is throwing so much value of Pharo.
>
> That being said, until git conflicts can be resolved inside Pharo, it is
> necessary to be able to edit the files by hand. The ability to run the
> hand-resolved code without committing it (to verify it still works/compiles)
> seems like a worthwhile feature.

Good point.

>> However if you then edit some methods - and then look in the file system -
>> git status doesn’t show these? This in retrospect possibly feels weird - or
>> does it?
>
>
> With Iceberg you have two separate working copies. It is not weird from git
> perspective, however it is a rather unique setup -- even seasoned git users
> might say... "You can do that? :-o" :) (And yes, it adds some extra cost,
> but nothing is perfect.)

I considered eliminating one of the working copy when in Pharo, by