Why don't the Zero Conf examples show how to launch Pharo?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why don't the Zero Conf examples show how to launch Pharo?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi - I was wondering why the command line section on the http://pharo.org/web/download page, doesn’t show you how to then launch the app you have just downloaded?

I’m not sure if there is a way to do it all on one line (I tried && ./pharo-ui Pharo.image  - but this doesn’t work).  However I think the website example should at least have:

# then run it
./pharo-ui Pharo.image 


Otherwise we make it harder for people to figure out what to do with the program we’ve pointed them to?

Tim
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why don't the Zero Conf examples show how to launch Pharo?

Tim Mackinnon
Actually - I think its as simple as just adding

&& ./pharo-ui Pharo.image

To the shown command?

(Although maybe showing it as 2 steps makes it clearer that you don’t need to download each time)

Tim

On 12 Jun 2017, at 19:48, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi - I was wondering why the command line section on the http://pharo.org/web/download page, doesn’t show you how to then launch the app you have just downloaded?

I’m not sure if there is a way to do it all on one line (I tried && ./pharo-ui Pharo.image  - but this doesn’t work).  However I think the website example should at least have:

# then run it
./pharo-ui Pharo.image 


Otherwise we make it harder for people to figure out what to do with the program we’ve pointed them to?

Tim

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why don't the Zero Conf examples show how to launch Pharo?

Alistair Grant
Hi Tim,

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 08:02:23PM +0100, Tim Mackinnon wrote:

> Actually - I think its as simple as just adding
>
> && ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>
> To the shown command?
>
> (Although maybe showing it as 2 steps makes it clearer that you don?t need to
> download each time)
>
> Tim

I'm currently putting together suggested text for the GNU/Linux download
page.  In addition to showing how to launch Pharo, I'm also suggesting:

- Putting 32 bit first (it's currently safer for a newcomer)
- Moving new platforms to the top and older platforms lower in order
- Removing reference to Ubuntu 12.04 since it is no longer supported.

If you've got any other suggestions, please let me know and I'll be
happy to incorporate them.

Cheers,
Alistair



>     On 12 Jun 2017, at 19:48, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Hi - I was wondering why the command line section on the http://pharo.org/
>     web/download page, doesn?t show you how to then launch the app you have
>     just downloaded?
>
>     I?m not sure if there is a way to do it all on one line (I tried && ./
>     pharo-ui Pharo.image  - but this doesn?t work).  However I think the
>     website example should at least have:
>
>     # then run it
>     ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>
>
>     Otherwise we make it harder for people to figure out what to do with the
>     program we?ve pointed them to?
>
>     Tim
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why don't the Zero Conf examples show how to launch Pharo?

Alistair Grant
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 07:27:06PM +0000, Alistair Grant wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 08:02:23PM +0100, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> > Actually - I think its as simple as just adding
> >
> > && ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
> >
> > To the shown command?
> >
> > (Although maybe showing it as 2 steps makes it clearer that you don?t need to
> > download each time)
> >
> > Tim
>
> I'm currently putting together suggested text for the GNU/Linux download
> page.  In addition to showing how to launch Pharo, I'm also suggesting:
>
> - Putting 32 bit first (it's currently safer for a newcomer)
> - Moving new platforms to the top and older platforms lower in order
> - Removing reference to Ubuntu 12.04 since it is no longer supported.
>
> If you've got any other suggestions, please let me know and I'll be
> happy to incorporate them.

I've added the suggested text in:

https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20147/Suggested-text-for-http-pharo-org-gnu-linux-installation


> Cheers,
> Alistair
>
>
>
> >     On 12 Jun 2017, at 19:48, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi - I was wondering why the command line section on the http://pharo.org/
> >     web/download page, doesn?t show you how to then launch the app you have
> >     just downloaded?
> >
> >     I?m not sure if there is a way to do it all on one line (I tried && ./
> >     pharo-ui Pharo.image  - but this doesn?t work).  However I think the
> >     website example should at least have:
> >
> >     # then run it
> >     ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
> >
> >
> >     Otherwise we make it harder for people to figure out what to do with the
> >     program we?ve pointed them to?
> >
> >     Tim
> >
> >