Why everybody could have an impact?

ducasse
Hi

to relax I was going over RB code because we will start to improve the refactoring.
And I started to add tests (yes the dummy little things that everybody can write but
that most people prefer to think they do and talk about).
And writing such super super stupid tests

testCheckInvalidMethodName
        "Usually used to validate input."

        self deny: (RBCondition checkMethodName: 'fofo fo').
        self deny: (RBCondition checkMethodName: '123fofo').
        "self deny: (RBCondition checkMethodName: 'foo::')."
        "self deny: (RBCondition checkMethodName: 'agr:goo:aa').”

checkMethodName: aString
        "Return whether the argument aName is can represent a selector"

        ^ aString isString and: [ RBScanner isSelector: aString ]

I found that RBScanner reports that

#foo:: or 'agr:goo:aa’ is a valid selector :(

So if you **really** want to help pharo this is not that difficult.

Now this is a matter of will.

Re: Why everybody could have an impact?

Tim Mackinnon
Ironically - one of my Exercism testers hit an issue with extract method about when you typed this... it’s seems there has a difference between “Suggestions | Extract method”  and “Source Code | Extract method” sigh... the former gives a walk back ... and it’s due to a strange misspelled variable “previousSelectionHighligth” not being initialised.

So yeah - this all needs testing and fixing.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 20 Mar 2019, at 17:16, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> to relax I was going over RB code because we will start to improve the refactoring.
> And I started to add tests (yes the dummy little things that everybody can write but
> that most people prefer to think they do and talk about).
> And writing such super super stupid tests
>
> testCheckInvalidMethodName
>    "Usually used to validate input."
>
>    self deny: (RBCondition checkMethodName: 'fofo fo').
>    self deny: (RBCondition checkMethodName: '123fofo').
>    "self deny: (RBCondition checkMethodName: 'foo::')."
>    "self deny: (RBCondition checkMethodName: 'agr:goo:aa').”
>

> checkMethodName: aString
>    "Return whether the argument aName is can represent a selector"
>
>    ^ aString isString and: [ RBScanner isSelector: aString ]
>

> I found that RBScanner reports that
>
> #foo:: or 'agr:goo:aa’ is a valid selector :(
>
> So if you **really** want to help pharo this is not that difficult.
>
> Now this is a matter of will.
>
> Stef

Re: Why everybody could have an impact?

ducasse
Hi tim

Can you report it precisely because right now it is not actionable.
And yes doing something is a challenge. Doing nothing is much more confortable because nothing breaks, and you die relaxed.

Stef

> On 20 Mar 2019, at 20:17, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ironically - one of my Exercism testers hit an issue with extract method about when you typed this... it’s seems there has a difference between “Suggestions | Extract method”  and “Source Code | Extract method” sigh... the former gives a walk back ... and it’s due to a strange misspelled variable “previousSelectionHighligth” not being initialised.
>
> So yeah - this all needs testing and fixing.
>
> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 20 Mar 2019, at 17:16, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> to relax I was going over RB code because we will start to improve the refactoring.
>> And I started to add tests (yes the dummy little things that everybody can write but
>> that most people prefer to think they do and talk about).
>> And writing such super super stupid tests
>>
>> testCheckInvalidMethodName
>>   "Usually used to validate input."
>>
>>   self deny: (RBCondition checkMethodName: 'fofo fo').
>>   self deny: (RBCondition checkMethodName: '123fofo').
>>   "self deny: (RBCondition checkMethodName: 'foo::')."
>>   "self deny: (RBCondition checkMethodName: 'agr:goo:aa').”
>>

>> checkMethodName: aString
>>   "Return whether the argument aName is can represent a selector"
>>
>>   ^ aString isString and: [ RBScanner isSelector: aString ]
>>

>> I found that RBScanner reports that
>>
>> #foo:: or 'agr:goo:aa’ is a valid selector :(
>>
>> So if you **really** want to help pharo this is not that difficult.
>>
>> Now this is a matter of will.
>>
>> Stef

Re: Why everybody could have an impact?

Tim Mackinnon