Why is amber so confusing nowadays to setup for the first time?

Why is amber so confusing nowadays to setup for the first time?

Jacob Wagner
  I have been using amber since about the beginning and something is getting on my nerves.  I have been away for a few months, and came back, and could not find out how to install amber.

  For example, I downloaded a zip, and remembered the command 'amber serve', but I didn't know what directories were being served.  From memory, I remembered the 'amber-examples' git project, so I installed that.  Then I had to move the amber folder into vendor/amber.  Then I ran the start.bat and it still didn't launch.

  From memory, again, I remembered that bower commands needed to be issued, so I tried running 'bower init' from the amber directory.  Nothing.  So I tried 'npm install bower', and then 'npm install bower -g', and I'm about to try it again, but seriously:

  Back in "the day" you just downloaded a release and double clicked a batch file and that was *it*.  Why can't amber be that simple again?

My 2 cents.

 P.s. I use windows 7.

Re: Why is amber so confusing nowadays to setup for the first time?

Herby Vojčík
First thing is, amber changed its philosophy from "download and unzip" to "be a dependency for a project" (that is, putting project first, not amber first).

Second thing is, we want to make creating amber projects streamlined, so all you will need to do after installing amber from npm globally (npm install -g amber; later npm install -g amber-cli) will be to run:

  amber create myproject

But we're not there yet so you must do what 'amber create' would do for you: mkdir, cd, bower init, bower install amber --save, mkdir src, make index.html.

Herby

Zenchess wrote:
> I have been using amber since about the beginning and something is
> getting on my nerves. I have been away for a few months, and came
> back, and could not find out how to install amber.
>
> For example, I downloaded a zip, and remembered the command 'amber
> serve', but I didn't know what directories were being served. From
> memory, I remembered the 'amber-examples' git project, so I installed
> that. T
hen I had to move the amber folder into vendor/amber. Then I

> ran the start.bat and it still didn't launch.
>
> From memory, again, I remembered that bower commands needed to be
> issued, so I tried running 'bower init' from the amber directory.
> Nothing. So I tried 'npm install bower', and then 'npm install bower
> -g', and I'm about to try it again, but seriously:
>

> Back in "the day" you just downloaded a release and double clicked a
> batch file and that was *it*. Why can't amber be that simple again?
>
> My 2 cents.
>
> P.s. I use windows 7.

Re: Why is amber so confusing nowadays to setup for the first time?

sebastianconcept
Thanks for letting us know that Z.

I feel your pain too!

This release increased the complexity but we’re polishing the bumps

Our job now is to work on these issues so the end result would be something that:

1. can play nice with the idea of downloading one thing and start it and bam, you’re good to go and
2. you’re a power user that knows how to use bower, yo and grunt and you can flexibly start from there making sense with a couple of commands and no extra complications

Once have that we’ll have blog posts, docs and screencasts so anyone has a gentle intro for starting their next Amber project

Today I was thinking on doing the introductory screencast but I had to postpone it due to this little problems (grunt-init complaining about no require.js).

The phase that crossed my mind over and over was:

“Amber is going to help you to make web development to make sense again”

Problem is that we really need to remove these silly show stoppers

Guys? can we get our teeth on that right?

On Apr 12, 2014, at 4:32 PM, Zenchess <[hidden email]> wrote:

  I have been using amber since about the beginning and something is getting on my nerves.  I have been away for a few months, and came back, and could not find out how to install amber.

  For example, I downloaded a zip, and remembered the command 'amber serve', but I didn't know what directories were being served.  From memory, I remembered the 'amber-examples' git project, so I installed that.  Then I had to move the amber folder into vendor/amber.  Then I ran the start.bat and it still didn't launch.

  From memory, again, I remembered that bower commands needed to be issued, so I tried running 'bower init' from the amber directory.  Nothing.  So I tried 'npm install bower', and then 'npm install bower -g', and I'm about to try it again, but seriously:

  Back in "the day" you just downloaded a release and double clicked a batch file and that was *it*.  Why can't amber be that simple again?

My 2 cents.

 P.s. I use windows 7.

Re: Why is amber so confusing nowadays to setup for the first time?

Hannes Hirzel
Thanks Zenchess
for continuing to raise the point...

On 4/12/14, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First thing is, amber changed its philosophy from "download and unzip" to
> "be a dependency for a project" (that is, putting project first, not amber
> first).

This 'first thing' has to be told to people.
I added this issue
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-documentation/issues/7

> Second thing is, we want to make creating amber projects streamlined, so all
> you will need to do after installing amber from npm globally (npm install -g
> amber; later npm install -g amber-cli) will be to run:
>
>   amber create myproject
>
> But we're not there yet so you must do what 'amber create' would do for you:
> mkdir, cd, bower init, bower install amber --save, mkdir src, make
> index.html.

This is what http://docs.amber-lang.net/getting-started.html tells people.

It gets you started in the sense that the Helios IDE comes up and you
can start coding.
And the code is saved in the src folder.
BUT the code is NOT reloaded in case you reload the web page!

'Quick start' is only a partial 'Start' and leads to a show stopper.
People would expect that code saved is no only on the hard disk but
comes back when you reload the web page.

I just filed this as an issue here
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-documentation/issues/8

This lead Philippe to create
https://github.com/philippeback/amber-kickstart last week and me
forking it and elaborating it with
https://github.com/hhzl/amber-kickstart  this week.

The latter one is at least to a part a  download and  unzip approach
and has been tested by
Tim M. yesterday who had been 'lurking' before  and now by the help of
it can use Amber again.

Thank you again for the feedback, and give
https://github.com/hhzl/amber-kickstar a try, please, in case you do
not have a working Amber 0.12.4 setup yet.

--Hannes

On 4/12/14, sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for letting us know that Z.
>
> I feel your pain too!
>
> This release increased the complexity but we're polishing the bumps
>
> Our job now is to work on these issues so the end result would be something
> that:
>
> 1. can play nice with the idea of downloading one thing and start it and
> bam, you're good to go and
> 2. you're a power user that knows how to use bower, yo and grunt and you can
> flexibly start from there making sense with a couple of commands and no
> extra complications
>
> Once have that we'll have blog posts, docs and screencasts so anyone has a
> gentle intro for starting their next Amber project
>
> Today I was thinking on doing the introductory screencast but I had to
> postpone it due to this little problems (grunt-init complaining about no
> require.js).

Sebastian, why do you need

  grunt-init

in an introductory screencast?
May I ask you to answer in a separate thread?

--Hannes

> The phase that crossed my mind over and over was:
>
> "Amber is going to help you to make web development to make sense again"
>
> Problem is that we really need to remove these silly show stoppers
>
> Guys? can we get our teeth on that right?
>

> On Apr 12, 2014, at 4:32 PM, Zenchess <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>   I have been using amber since about the beginning and something is
>> getting on my nerves.  I have been away for a few months, and came back,
>> and could not find out how to install amber.
>>
>>   For example, I downloaded a zip, and remembered the command 'amber
>> serve', but I didn't know what directories were being served.  From
>> memory, I remembered the 'amber-examples' git project, so I installed
>> that.  Then I had to move the amber folder into vendor/amber.  Then I ran
>> the start.bat and it still didn't launch.
>>
>>   From memory, again, I remembered that bower commands needed to be
>> issued, so I tried running 'bower init' from the amber directory.
>> Nothing.  So I tried 'npm install bower', and then 'npm install bower -g',
>> and I'm about to try it again, but seriously:
>>

>>   Back in "the day" you just downloaded a release and double clicked a
>> batch file and that was *it*.  Why can't amber be that simple again?
>>
>> My 2 cents.
>>
>>  P.s. I use windows 7.

Re: Why is amber so confusing nowadays to setup for the first time?

philippeback
Just hot off the encoder: http://youtu.be/rszDKuEuAvg

http://youtu.be/rszDKuEuAvg&nohtml5=1 if you cannot get the HD version (kind of general issue with YT at the moment...)

Phil

On Apr 12, 2014, at 7:42 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sebastian, why do you need

 grunt-init

in an introductory screencast?
May I ask you to answer in a separate thread?

--Hannes

Don’t know if I’m getting your question right.

I want to show a step by step thing so they can feel da pawaaaaa

Making them feel they can start powerful things in one shot is the right impression

Did you saw that Google is using the superhero metaphor for Angular? That’s not a coincidence.

And the idea is that if the technology (anyone and any product/service actually) is really good, the metaphor should feel less imaginary and more literal

Can we do that?

I don’t know.

Can we?  <— rhetorical, no need to answer that

[hidden email] wrote:
> Just hot off the encoder: http://youtu.be/rszDKuEuAvg
>
> http://youtu.be/rszDKuEuAvg&nohtml5=1 if you cannot get the HD version
> (kind of general issue with YT at the moment...)

I have looked the last screencast... there are handful of misconceptions and/or inefficiencies.

- js/st is deprecated. In 0.12.4, which is released at last, you only use src for both .js and .st and 'namespace/_source' need not to be mapped.

- If you have skeleton of the project, it is not needed to include bower install amber --save as the install step. Instead, you should
  a) provide .gitignore that ignores bower_components (that is crucial anyway);
  b) run bower install amber --save in your working copy; that creates bower.json file with amber saved as dependency
  c) commit .gitgnore and bower.json to the kickstart repo
After that, you just clone and run 'bower install', the generic way to say 'install all my dependencies, please'.

- cli that is used is not t
he one in locally-installed amber; showing the cli directory inside bower_components/amber creates wrong impression that amber cli and repl are tied to that installation. No, they are run from the globally installed amber you installed via npm install -g at the beginning.

In fact, cli and related things will be removed from bower package 'amber' completely. They are of no use there, bower package is to bring things needed in the page itself. npm install -g is there to install the cli tool, which will be renamed to amber-cli to clearly show the separation.

- In Helios, when you need to look up for the selector or class present in source code, there is no need to Ctrl+space, f, r or Ctrl+space, f. c. Just press Ctrl, hold it, and click on that selector  or class itself in the source code of the method.

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 2:04 AM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

[hidden email] wrote:
Just hot off the encoder: http://youtu.be/rszDKuEuAvg

http://youtu.be/rszDKuEuAvg&nohtml5=1 if you cannot get the HD version (kind of general issue with YT at the moment...)

I have looked the last screencast... there are handful of misconceptions and/or inefficiencies.

Thx for looking.

- js/st is deprecated. In 0.12.4, which is released at last, you only use src for both .js and .st and 'namespace/_source' need not to be mapped.

kickstart was done pre 12.4, so, of course. Now, how is src to be used/specified properly?

- If you have skeleton of the project, it is not needed to include bower install amber --save as the install step. Instead, you should
 a) provide .gitignore that ignores bower_components (that is crucial anyway);

Clear.

 b) run bower install amber --save in your working copy; that creates bower.json file with amber saved as dependency
 c) commit .gitgnore and bower.json to the kickstart repo
After that, you just clone and run 'bower install', the generic way to say 'install all my dependencies, please'.

Indeed nicer.

- cli that is used is not t
he one in locally-installed amber; showing the cli directory inside bower_components/amber creates wrong impression that amber cli and repl are tied to that installation. No, they are run from the globally installed amber you installed via npm install -g at the beginning.

Well, someone looks, and cli happens to be at the top of the list, people look in there.

Indeed. amber-cli would be a better name for the backend thing. That's what you get when two different things are named the same.

In fact, cli and related things will be removed from bower package 'amber' completely. They are of no use there, bower package is to bring things needed in the page itself. npm install -g is there to install the cli tool, which will be renamed to amber-cli to clearly show the separation.

That will be a good thing.

- In Helios, when you need to look up for the selector or class present in source code, there is no need to Ctrl+space, f, r or Ctrl+space, f. c. Just press Ctrl, hold it, and click on that selector  or class itself in the source code of the method.

Thanks for pointer. This was driving me mad. And so will any newcomer. And we need a search box ala Spotlight (just like in Pharo).

Next episode with a better version of all this on 0.12.4 :-)

Phil

Re: Why is amber so confusing nowadays to setup for the first time?

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you for the great feedback Herby. I took note of it here
https://github.com/hhzl/amber-kickstart/issues/1 and will address the
issues in an updated version of

On 4/13/14, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Just hot off the encoder: http://youtu.be/rszDKuEuAvg
>>
>> http://youtu.be/rszDKuEuAvg&nohtml5=1 if you cannot get the HD version
>> (kind of general issue with YT at the moment...)
>
> I have looked the last screencast... there are handful of misconceptions
> and/or inefficiencies.
>
> - js/st is deprecated. In 0.12.4, which is released at last, you only use
> src for both .js and .st and 'namespace/_source' need not to be mapped.
>
> - If you have skeleton of the project, it is not needed to include bower
> install amber --save as the install step. Instead, you should
>   a) provide .gitignore that ignores bower_components (that is crucial
> anyway);
>   b) run bower install amber --save in your working copy; that creates
> bower.json file with amber saved as dependency
>   c) commit .gitgnore and bower.json to the kickstart repo
> After that, you just clone and run 'bower install', the generic way to say
> 'install all my dependencies, please'.
>
> - cli that is used is not t
> he one in locally-installed amber; showing the cli directory inside
> bower_components/amber creates wrong impression that amber cli and repl are
> tied to that installation. No, they are run from the globally installed
> amber you installed via npm install -g at the beginning.
>
> In fact, cli and related things will be removed from bower package 'amber'
> completely. They are of no use there, bower package is to bring things
> needed in the page itself. npm install -g is there to install the cli tool,
> which will be renamed to amber-cli to clearly show the separation.
>
> - In Helios, when you need to look up for the selector or class present in
> source code, there is no need to Ctrl+space, f, r or Ctrl+space, f. c. Just
> press Ctrl, hold it, and click on that selector  or class itself in the
> source code of the method.

Re: Why is amber so confusing nowadays to setup for the first time?

Siemen Baader

On 13 Apr 2014, at 02:04, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Just hot off the encoder: http://youtu.be/rszDKuEuAvg
>>
>> http://youtu.be/rszDKuEuAvg&nohtml5=1 if you cannot get the HD version (kind of general issue with YT at the moment...)
>
> I have looked the last screencast... there are handful of misconceptions and/or inefficiencies.
>
> - js/st is deprecated. In 0.12.4, which is released at last, you only use src for both .js and .st and 'namespace/_source' need not to be mapped.
>
> - If you have skeleton of the project, it is not needed to include bower install amber --save as the install step. Instead, you should
> a) provide .gitignore that ignores bower_components (that is crucial anyway);
> b) run bower install amber --save in your working copy; that creates bower.json file with amber saved as dependency
> c) commit .gitgnore and bower.json to the kickstart repo
> After that, you just clone and run 'bower install', the generic way to say 'install all my dependencies, please'.
>
> - cli that is used is not t
> he one in locally-installed amber; showing the cli directory inside bower_components/amber creates wrong impression that amber cli and repl are tied to that installation. No, they are run from the globally installed amber you installed via npm install -g at the beginning.
>
> In fact, cli and related things will be removed from bower package 'amber' completely. They are of no use there, bower package is to bring things needed in the page itself. npm install -g is there to install the cli tool, which will be renamed to amber-cli to clearly show the separation.
>
> - In Helios, when you need to look up for the selector or class present in source code, there is no need to Ctrl+space, f, r or Ctrl+space, f. c. Just press Ctrl, hold it, and click on that selector  or class itself in the source code of the method.

Very cool. Except on Mac, because Ctrl+left click  = Linux/Windows right click. You need to disable the browser's context menu by doing `event preventDefault`.

Should we remap this to alt/option + left click, or prevent the context menu?

best,
Siemen

Re: Why is amber so confusing nowadays to setup for the first time?

Herby Vojčík

Siemen Baader <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

Hi,

On 13 Apr 2014, at 02:04, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - In Helios, when you need to look up for the selector or class present in source code, there is no need to Ctrl+space, f, r or Ctrl+space, f. c. Just press Ctrl, hold it, and click on that selector  or class itself in the source code of the method.

Very cool. Except on Mac, because Ctrl+left click  = Linux/Windows right click. You need to disable the browser's context menu by doing `event preventDefault`.

Should we remap this to alt/option + left click, or prevent the context menu?

Nicolas was implementing this, and he uses Mac, so I presume it's already working somehow there as well.

Herby

best,
Siemen

Re: Why is amber so confusing nowadays to setup for the first time?

Stephan Eggermont-3
Nice screencast.Good to see a complete development set-up
described.

If I try to look at it from the point of view of someone new to Amber,
the following comes to mind:
- Having the right focus in long video's is very difficult. Short video's,
focusing on a single point get more views. In addition, they can be
easier replaced whenever a detail changes.
- People have problems installing Amber because there are many
possible ways to install the dependencies, some of which work.
Just saying: install git and bower simply doesn't work. Prescribing
one way also doesn't work as people don't start with clean machines.
Package management on a mac is interesting, with brew, fink and
macports interfering in troublesome ways.
- Showing all kinds of extra software that I don't have installed
is only confusing.

Stephan

Re: Why is amber so confusing nowadays to setup for the first time?

Nicolas Petton

Herby Vojčík writes:

> Should we remap this to alt/option + left click, or prevent the
> context menu?

I would simply prevent the context menu.

> Nicolas was implementing this, and he uses Mac, so I presume it's
> already working somehow there as well.

I do have a mac, but I run Ubuntu on it :P

Cheers,
Nico

Le 13 avr. 2014 13:02, "Stephan Eggermont &gt;" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Nice screencast.Good to see a complete development set-up
> described.
>
> If I try to look at it from the point of view of someone new to Amber,
> the following comes to mind:
> - Having the right focus in long video's is very difficult. Short video's,
> focusing on a single point get more views. In addition, they can be
> easier replaced whenever a detail changes.

Who ever updates videos?

> - People have problems installing Amber because there are many
> possible ways to install the dependencies, some of which work.

The party line is npm and bower (and soon grunt init)..

> Just saying: install git and bower simply doesn't work.

Yes,  one can simply download a zip and not care about Git at all in fact.

Prescribing
> one way also doesn't work as people don't start with clean machines.
> Package management on a mac is interesting, with brew, fink and
> macports interfering in troublesome ways.

I can do one on my mac.  Macports, fink and brew are indeed annoying when used together.

> - Showing all kinds of extra software that I don't have installed
> is only confusing.

All kinds? Now,  a list of URLs in the description of the video would be useful.

I am learning this as well BTW.

I'd love to have the game engine examples to work with the new version.

Phil

> Stephan

Re: Why is amber so confusing nowadays to setup for the first time?

sebastianconcept
Thanks for the feedback Stephan!

On Apr 13, 2014, at 8:02 AM, Stephan Eggermont > <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nice screencast.Good to see a complete development set-up
described.

If I try to look at it from the point of view of someone new to Amber,
the following comes to mind:
- Having the right focus in long video's is very difficult. Short video's,
focusing on a single point get more views. In addition, they can be
easier replaced whenever a detail changes.
Yes, we’re trying to learn how to produce them.
I plan to share mine unlisted (so YouTube doesn’t show them on the channel until I publish)
So people in this list can see it first and I can be embarrassing only for you guys :)
Hopefully in a couple of iterations we can get it right.
If the list grows we can do an inner circle for that, I don’t think our size requires that just jet, if I get too many tomatoes in my face I’ll let you know
Also i because it would be great to have Tim and Stephan feedback and the one from the others Tim’s and Stephans that aren’t yet expressing theirs

- People have problems installing Amber because there are many
possible ways to install the dependencies, some of which work.
Exactly. This is the epicentre of the issue. We are figuring out the best way before recommending and showing how things should be done.

Just saying: install git and bower simply doesn't work
…yet. We are doing something about this right now. We’ll see.

Prescribing
one way also doesn't work as people don't start with clean machines.

#true story.  This should be addressed by the one zip file thing that just works version of Amber.

Package management on a mac is interesting, with brew, fink and
macports interfering in troublesome ways.

- Showing all kinds of extra software that I don't have installed
is only confusing.

by all kinds of extra software you mean grunt, bower, yo? I would like to hear you elaborating on that point because that’s the reaction other might have

Stephan

Re: Why is amber so confusing nowadays to setup for the first time?

peter.ode
Thank you for the screencast showing the not-so-simple scenario to get an Amber development setup running.
I am looking forward to the day when all this is packaged in a Setup.exe or greatly simplified.

For newbies to Amber, all of that setup and plumbing is a huge deterrent. The excellent Interactive Tutorial at http://amber-lang.net/learn.html gets people interested. I've sent many people to that intro-to-Smalltalk, but then they just give up on taking it further.  The YouTube video is a great help, in the interim.  Good stuff.

Peter

On Saturday, 12 April 2014 15:54:02 UTC-7, [hidden email] wrote:
Just hot off the encoder: <a href="http://youtu.be/rszDKuEuAvg" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://youtu.be/rszDKuEuAvg';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://youtu.be/rszDKuEuAvg';return true;">http://youtu.be/rszDKuEuAvg

Phil