Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why is there two save steps?

Tim Mackinnon-6
Hi - thinking about my recent experience with Amber, and the troubles I had losing my code, I'm wondering why there are two save steps required? Eg. Cmd-S saves the code in my method (X like any normal Smalltalk environment) - but why is there the extra Commit package step? I guess I'm wondering why cmd-S doesn't save my method and commit my packages in one go? Would it be too slow to do always this? Is there some advantage I'm missing to not saving your packages?

I'm trying to think of something obvious - to me it seems worse to lose your code by forgetting to commit  vs  overwriting something you probably have in version control anyway?

I'm curious where this division had come from?

Also, is there a keystroke for commit, so I can press cmd-S and that all the time?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Why is there two save steps?

Herby Vojčík
It's exactly as you ptesume - it's historical and was there to split saving the method to runtime from saving the actual file, overwriting ir. Yes, you have it in source control, in most cases. But ypu are saving image in other Smalltalks, too (thpugh it's true you're saving the whole image and you get a 'save image' dialogue before exit).

Dňa 27. februára 2016 23:52:53 CET používateľ Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> napísal:

>Hi - thinking about my recent experience with Amber, and the troubles I
>had losing my code, I'm wondering why there are two save steps
>required? Eg. Cmd-S saves the code in my method (X like any normal
>Smalltalk environment) - but why is there the extra Commit package
>step? I guess I'm wondering why cmd-S doesn't save my method and commit
>my packages in one go? Would it be too slow to do always this? Is there
>some advantage I'm missing to not saving your packages?
>
>I'm trying to think of something obvious - to me it seems worse to lose
>your code by forgetting to commit  vs  overwriting something you
>probably have in version control anyway?
>
>I'm curious where this division had come from?
>
>Also, is there a keystroke for commit, so I can press cmd-S and that
>all the time?
>
>Tim
>
>Sent from my iPhone
>
>
>Sent from my iPhone

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon-6
I see - I suppose it is a bit like save method vs. save image - although in the Web world the difference is that you often have to load a whole web page to see your changes and then you inadvertently can lose all your code (which is a bit unlike traditional smalltalk - where you don’t need the reload bit, and also have a changes file to get back your code if you really hose things).

Maybe I will play around myself and see the impact of just always saving (if I can figure out how to do that). At the very least - it would be good to have a keystroke for “commit”

As an aside: Is there a list of useful keystrokes in Helios? (I’ve searched around but can’t see anything).

Tim

> On 27 Feb 2016, at 23:01, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's exactly as you ptesume - it's historical and was there to split saving the method to runtime from saving the actual file, overwriting ir. Yes, you have it in source control, in most cases. But ypu are saving image in other Smalltalks, too (thpugh it's true you're saving the whole image and you get a 'save image' dialogue before exit).
>
> Dňa 27. februára 2016 23:52:53 CET používateľ Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> napísal:
>> Hi - thinking about my recent experience with Amber, and the troubles I
>> had losing my code, I'm wondering why there are two save steps
>> required? Eg. Cmd-S saves the code in my method (X like any normal
>> Smalltalk environment) - but why is there the extra Commit package
>> step? I guess I'm wondering why cmd-S doesn't save my method and commit
>> my packages in one go? Would it be too slow to do always this? Is there
>> some advantage I'm missing to not saving your packages?
>>
>> I'm trying to think of something obvious - to me it seems worse to lose
>> your code by forgetting to commit  vs  overwriting something you
>> probably have in version control anyway?
>>
>> I'm curious where this division had come from?
>>
>> Also, is there a keystroke for commit, so I can press cmd-S and that
>> all the time?
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Herby Vojčík

Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> I see - I suppose it is a bit like save method vs. save image - although in the Web world the difference is that you often have to load a whole web page to see your changes and then you inadvertently can lose all your code (which is a bit unlike traditional smalltalk - where you don’t need the reload bit, and also have a changes file to get back your code if you really hose things).
>
> Maybe I will play around myself and see the impact of just always saving (if I can figure out how to do that). At the very least - it would be good to have a keystroke for “commit”

Ctrl+space, k (YMMV: cmd)

> As an aside: Is there a list of useful keystrokes in Helios? (I’ve searched around but can’t see anything).

Ctrl+space, look around in menu that appears, memorize useful ones.

> Tim

Herby

--