classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why won't my Pharo download run?

Peter Kenny
Hello!

I have a problem with running Pharo 2.0 on one of my machines. I have two machines, both running Windows XP with SP3. On one of them I have a successful load of Pharo (actually it's a distribution of the Moose system, but that is just an application built on Pharo 2.0). This loads successfully when I double click on pharo.exe. On the other machine, the same action produces an immediate message: 'Pharo.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close'. Just in case this was some problem with Moose, I have just downloaded the latest one-click installation of Pharo 2.0 for Windows. This displays exactly the same behaviour - an immediate fail when I try to start it.

I have tried to work out what may be different between the two machines. The one which will run Pharo has an Intel Celeron processor, the other an AMD Athlon XP (yes, they are both pretty ancient!), but I can't see why that should make any difference. The one curious thing is that Windows Explorer displays the type of the Pharo2.0.image file as 'Squeak image file'. There is an old version of Squeak installed on that machine; could that have any effect?

I am a bit flummoxed by all this. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to diagnose the problem?

Many thanks

Peter Kenny
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Why won't my Pharo download run?

Igor Stasenko

On 7 November 2013 14:18, PBK Research <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello!

I have a problem with running Pharo 2.0 on one of my machines. I have two machines, both running Windows XP with SP3. On one of them I have a successful load of Pharo (actually it's a distribution of the Moose system, but that is just an application built on Pharo 2.0). This loads successfully when I double click on pharo.exe. On the other machine, the same action produces an immediate message: 'Pharo.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close'. Just in case this was some problem with Moose, I have just downloaded the latest one-click installation of Pharo 2.0 for Windows. This displays exactly the same behaviour - an immediate fail when I try to start it.

I have tried to work out what may be different between the two machines. The one which will run Pharo has an Intel Celeron processor, the other an AMD Athlon XP (yes, they are both pretty ancient!), but I can't see why that should make any difference. The one curious thing is that Windows Explorer displays the type of the Pharo2.0.image file as 'Squeak image file'. There is an old version of Squeak installed on that machine; could that have any effect?

I am a bit flummoxed by all this. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to diagnose the problem?

If you using too old VM , it simply does not supports an image format, which pharo 2.0 uses.
But there could be different reasons.. a first step towards to solution is to use VM for pharo, which we maintain and use..

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Kenny
Thanks. I am using the latest one-click distribution of Pharo, downloaded today from the Pharo website. Presumably that should have the latest VM?

From: Pharo-users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Igor Stasenko
Sent: 07 November 2013 13:53
To: Any question about pharo is welcome
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] Why won't my Pharo download run?

Hello!

If you using too old VM , it simply does not supports an image format, which pharo 2.0 uses.
But there could be different reasons.. a first step towards to solution is to use VM for pharo, which we maintain and use..

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.
Reply | Threaded
|

Igor Stasenko
In reply to this post by Peter Kenny

On 7 November 2013 15:31, PBK Research <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks. I am using the latest one-click distribution of Pharo, downloaded today from the Pharo website. Presumably that should have the latest VM?

yes, but if .image file extension associated with wrong version of VM binary, which you installed previously (as you mentioned), it won't automagically use proper one.
 unless you run vm from command line e.g.:
pharo.exe myimage.image
or change the association to use different vm.

Hello!

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.
Reply | Threaded
|

Clément Béra
In reply to this post by Igor Stasenko
Hey,

Yeah it might be as there's Squeak installed that the image tries to be run with the old squeak VM instead of the pharo VM. Then it fails with old VMs.

2013/11/7 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>

Hello!

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Kenny
In reply to this post by Igor Stasenko
OK. I opened a command line prompt, cd to Pharo 2.0 directory (created in today's download), enter 'pharo.exe pharo2.0.image'. Same result - immediate failure. I had previously changed the association of the image file to the newly downloaded pharo.exe. So I think I must be using the VM in today's download.

Sent: 07 November 2013 14:48

yes, but if .image file extension associated with wrong version of VM binary, which you installed previously (as you mentioned), it won't automagically use proper one.
pharo.exe myimage.image

Hello!

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Kenny
Just a little more information. Out of curiosity, I downloaded Pharo 3.0 and tried it, with the same result - message from Windows says 'Pharo.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close'. To complete the set, I downloaded Pharo 1.4 and tried it. This time it failed saying 'CogVM.exe has encoun....'. I presume all versions now use the Cog VM, and it looks as though this machine just won't run it. Is there still a 'traditional' VM I can use instead of Cog? It might not be practical, but it would at least prove that it is a VM problem. Is there any information about Cog giving problems with AMD processors?

From: Pharo-users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of PBK Research
Sent: 07 November 2013 15:07
To: 'Any question about pharo is welcome'

OK. I opened a command line prompt, cd to Pharo 2.0 directory (created in today's download), enter 'pharo.exe pharo2.0.image'. Same result - immediate failure. I had previously changed the association of the image file to the newly downloaded pharo.exe. So I think I must be using the VM in today's download.

pharo.exe myimage.image

Hello!

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.
Reply | Threaded
|

Igor Stasenko
Well, it could be that your machine CPU too old and don't supports instructions (like SSE)
which VM compiled with.

On 7 November 2013 19:44, PBK Research <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just a little more information. Out of curiosity, I downloaded Pharo 3.0 and tried it, with the same result - message from Windows says 'Pharo.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close'. To complete the set, I downloaded Pharo 1.4 and tried it. This time it failed saying 'CogVM.exe has encoun....'. I presume all versions now use the Cog VM, and it looks as though this machine just won't run it. Is there still a 'traditional' VM I can use instead of Cog? It might not be practical, but it would at least prove that it is a VM problem. Is there any information about Cog giving problems with AMD processors?

pharo.exe myimage.image

Hello!

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Kenny
Well, it does run on my second (and even older) machine with an Intel Celeron processor. I have in store a very old download of Pharo (version 1.1, dated July 2010), which I have loaded and run successfully on the troublesome machine. I shall probably have to give up on this machine and switch to my reserve, unless anyone has a brilliant idea to fix it. Thanks for the help.

Sent: 07 November 2013 22:49

Well, it could be that your machine CPU too old and don't supports instructions (like SSE)
which VM compiled with.

On 7 November 2013 19:44, PBK Research <[hidden email]> wrote:

pharo.exe myimage.image

Hello!

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.
Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
this is really strange.
Windows is a pain.

Stef

On Nov 7, 2013, at 4:06 PM, PBK Research <[hidden email]> wrote:

From: Pharo-users [mailto:pharo-[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Igor Stasenko

pharo.exe myimage.image

Hello!

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
this is really strange.
Windows is a pain.

Stef

It can be, but this could just be co-incidental to having old hardware.  You might try running Pharo on top of a Linux Live CD like
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Or a definitive answer could come from reporting what instruction sets are supported by the troublesome machine
using something like http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

cheers -ben
On Nov 7, 2013, at 4:06 PM, PBK Research [hidden email] wrote:

From: Pharo-users [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Igor Stasenko

On 7 November 2013 15:31, PBK Research [hidden email] wrote:

pharo.exe myimage.image

From: Pharo-users [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Igor Stasenko

On 7 November 2013 14:18, PBK Research [hidden email] wrote:
Hello!

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

-- 
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

-- 
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.