Wiki-gardening on the Pharo online book

simondenier
Looking at the TOC of the Pharo online book, there are lots of new things, including duplicated/empty chapters especially in the Pharo tools section. What about a bit of wiki gardening in the next days?

http://book.pharo-project.org/book/table-of-contents

--
Simon Denier

Re: Wiki-gardening on the Pharo online book

Mariano Martinez Peck
Yes, +99999
That would be great.
Could you take care? at least a first pass?

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

On 24 mai 2011, at 14:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

Yes, +99999
That would be great.
Could you take care? at least a first pass?

sure, I will try to take a look

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looking at the TOC of the Pharo online book, there are lots of new things, including duplicated/empty chapters especially in the Pharo tools section. What about a bit of wiki gardening in the next days?

http://book.pharo-project.org/book/table-of-contents

--
Simon Denier

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Simon Denier

Re: Wiki-gardening on the Pharo online book

Stéphane Ducasse
tx simon!
This would be so great.

Stef

On May 24, 2011, at 2:48 PM, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 24 mai 2011, at 14:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Yes, +99999
>> That would be great.
>> Could you take care? at least a first pass?
>
> sure, I will try to take a look
>

>> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Looking at the TOC of the Pharo online book, there are lots of new things, including duplicated/empty chapters especially in the Pharo tools section. What about a bit of wiki gardening in the next days?
>>
>> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/table-of-contents
>>
>> --
>> Simon Denier
>>

>> --
>> Mariano
>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>>

> --
> Simon Denier

Re: Wiki-gardening on the Pharo online book

simondenier

On 24 mai 2011, at 14:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

Yes, +99999
That would be great.
Could you take care? at least a first pass?

Looks more complicated than the last gardening: I'm thinking of creating bigger chapters like "Language and Libraries", "Tools", "Smalltalkies" for small tricks ("FAQ", "Tips and Tricks", "Customizing Pharo").

As well as a "work in progress" chapter for chapters which are rather empty (like, just how to load a given tool) to distinguish with more complete chapters.

There is already a Pharo tools chapter but with 42 sections and no organization. So this chapter in itself needs to be reworked.

On 26 mai 2011, at 09:59, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 24 mai 2011, at 14:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Yes, +99999
>> That would be great.
>> Could you take care? at least a first pass?
>

> Looks more complicated than the last gardening: I'm thinking of creating bigger chapters like "Language and Libraries", "Tools", "Smalltalkies" for small tricks ("FAQ", "Tips and Tricks", "Customizing Pharo").

Done, although a bit of chapter head ups are needed.

> As well as a "work in progress" chapter for chapters which are rather empty (like, just how to load a given tool) to distinguish with more complete chapters.
>
> There is already a Pharo tools chapter but with 42 sections and no organization. So this chapter in itself needs to be reworked.

That's the next step.

I'm wondering. Does people take a look at this online book from time to time? Do you think it's a valuable tool?

Personally I would love to see a doc website with the API/comment extracted from source code and tests, and people commenting to enhance/points to relevant information - a bit like the CODT contest - this could later be integrated in the source code, etc, and you have the round trip. Bonus if people can use an online sandbox and run harmless doits in the browser :) I always think it's a good to have such exposition on the web.

--
Simon Denier

Re: Wiki-gardening on the Pharo online book

Helene Bilbo
„simondenier“ wrote
I'm wondering. Does people take a look at this online book from time to time? Do you think it's a valuable tool?
Yes, i often look at this book and i found lots of valuable information there. But i think you should really make it „collaborActive“ and add a chapter about how to contribute to the book — or even better — open it to the public, like a wiki.
I am just a humble user, but for example i recently discovered the Script Manager and would volunteer to describe it for the book. At the moment there is just the Metacello information there.

best regards, helene.

Re: Wiki-gardening on the Pharo online book

vonbecmann

it would be nice if you explain how to contribute to the book.
 in my case i have no idea how to do it.
thanks

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Helene Bilbo <[hidden email]> wrote:

„simondenier“ wrote:

> I'm wondering. Does people take a look at this online book from time to
> time? Do you think it's a valuable tool?

Yes, i often look at this book and i found lots of valuable information
there. But i think you should really make it „collaborActive“ and add a
chapter about how to contribute to the book — or even better — open it to
the public, like a wiki.
I am just a humble user, but for example i recently discovered the Script
Manager and would volunteer to describe it for the book. At the moment there
is just the Metacello information there.

best regards, helene.

Re: Wiki-gardening on the Pharo online book

Mariano Martinez Peck
First, you need a user to edit. I can create for all who need that.

Then you have (at the end) the help of how the book works:

http://book.pharo-project.org/book/bookHelp

it could be improved for sure.

cheers

On 2 juin 2011, at 21:33, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

First, you need a user to edit. I can create for all who need that.

Then you have (at the end) the help of how the book works:

http://book.pharo-project.org/book/bookHelp

it could be improved for sure.

Yes, we should put this section in front, with "how to contribute to Pharo"

Right now, you can directly comment on a page: sometimes I directly copy the info from the note into the page (like for the shortcuts for example)

„simondenier“ wrote:

> I'm wondering. Does people take a look at this online book from time to
> time? Do you think it's a valuable tool?

Yes, i often look at this book and i found lots of valuable information
there. But i think you should really make it „collaborActive“ and add a
chapter about how to contribute to the book — or even better — open it to
the public, like a wiki.
I am just a humble user, but for example i recently discovered the Script
Manager and would volunteer to describe it for the book. At the moment there
is just the Metacello information there.

best regards, helene.

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Simon Denier

Re: Wiki-gardening on the Pharo online book

Mariano Martinez Peck
Simon sorry  I forgot to say....great work!!! :)