Wiki won't wrap

Mark Wilden
I tried to look at an MVPNightSchool topic, and there was just this one long
line....

E.g. http://www.object-arts.co.uk/wiki/html/Dolphin/MVPNightSchool6.htm

Re: Wiki won't wrap

Bill Dargel
Mark Wilden wrote:

> I tried to look at an MVPNightSchool topic, and there was just this one long
> line....
>
> E.g. http://www.object-arts.co.uk/wiki/html/Dolphin/MVPNightSchool6.htm

Just fixed it by editing the page and remove the <pre> </pre> tags that were
wrapping all the text.

regards,
-Bill

Bill Dargel            [hidden email]
Shoshana Technologies
100 West Joy Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105  USA

Re: Wiki won't wrap

Mark Wilden
"Bill Dargel" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Just fixed it by editing the page and remove the <pre> </pre> tags that
were
> wrapping all the text.

<slapping forehead> I forgot you could edit the pages again--thanks. :)

Re: Wiki won't wrap

Andy Bower
Bill, Mark,

> > I tried to look at an MVPNightSchool topic, and there was just this one
long
> > line....
> >
> > E.g. http://www.object-arts.co.uk/wiki/html/Dolphin/MVPNightSchool6.htm
>
> Just fixed it by editing the page and remove the <pre> </pre> tags that
were
> wrapping all the text.

I don't think that the correct thing to do is to remove the </pre> and
</post> tags; they are meant to be there otherwise one loses the single line
breaks. What seems to have happened is that, in the move from the Unix
server to the Windows server, many (all?) of the text files have had their
newlines "massaged" so they are no longer correct. Remember that Unix and
Windows use different end of line sequences. All that seems to be necessary
to restore the status quo is to edit the page and save it down again and
this will fix the "single line" appearence that Mark saw in MVPNightSchool6.

Note: in the case of MVPNightSchool6 it was difficult to edit the page since
the "Edit" link was pushed off to the right and was never visible. I had to
use the URL to bring up the editor:

http://www.object-arts.co.uk/cgi-local/revert.pl/Dolphin/MVPNightSchool6

You may have to do something similar for other pages that exhibit the same
problem.

I may be able to write a Dolphin script to transform the text files to be
correct. This isn't going to get done until after our next "Dog Day
Afternoon" at OT2003 on Monday.

http://www.ot2003.org/plenary-ab.html

So, for the time being, if you see a problem, just edit the page and save it
down without changes.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: Wiki won't wrap

Bill Dargel
Mark Wilden wrote:

> "Bill Dargel" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> >
> > Just fixed it by editing the page and remove the <pre> </pre> tags that
> were
> > wrapping all the text.
>
> <slapping forehead> I forgot you could edit the pages again--thanks. :)

The trick on those particular pages (which rendered as one veeeeeeerrrrrrry
long line) was to scroll a few miles to the right ;-) in order to find the
'edit this page' link.

In browsing around at a few recent pages, somewhat at random, I noticed a
number of places where code fragments were all on one line. I found that
after editing the page and saving it, without making any changes, the <pre>
</pre> sections would then properly display on multiple lines. I suspect that
it may have something to do with a different line-ending convention on the
new wiki server?

regards,
-Bill

Bill Dargel            [hidden email]
Shoshana Technologies
100 West Joy Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105  USA

Re: Wiki won't wrap

Mark Wilden
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:3e858c7c$[hidden email]...

> This isn't going to get done until after our next "Dog Day
> Afternoon" at OT2003 on Monday.

Andy, repeat after me--Keep. The Dog. Off. The Bed.

Have fun and good luck. :)

Re: Wiki won't wrap

Andy Bower
Mark,

> > This isn't going to get done until after our next "Dog Day
> > Afternoon" at OT2003 on Monday.
>
> Andy, repeat after me--Keep. The Dog. Off. The Bed.

The dog is sleeping in his basket under my desk; he will not be allowed out
or near any stairs until after the talk on Monday!

Incidentally, I must thank John Greve for sending through a partial video
clip and some photos of the original OOPSLA dog demo. For anyone who would
like to see what it was like for me to have my code torn apart by Blair and
Timo you can click here:

http://www.object.arts.dial.pipex.com/oopsla/extreme_aibo3.MPG

http://www.object.arts.dial.pipex.com/oopsla/extreme_aibo1.JPG
http://www.object.arts.dial.pipex.com/oopsla/extreme_aibo2.JPG

BTW, in the video you'll notice that Timo has some trouble understanding
what Blair was saying. This was the second demo we did and, unlike the
first, there was a rowdy Java lunch going on in the next room which played
havoc with the speech recognition in our demo. Yet again Java somehow
manages to jump in and spoil the Smalltalk party :-).

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: Wiki won't wrap

Jeffrey Odell-3
Andy -

I missed this session at OOPSLA, much to my dismay.  Thanks for sharing a
bit of the session via the MPG, I laughed my a** off -

jlo
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Mark,
>
> > > This isn't going to get done until after our next "Dog Day
> > > Afternoon" at OT2003 on Monday.
> >
> > Andy, repeat after me--Keep. The Dog. Off. The Bed.
>
> The dog is sleeping in his basket under my desk; he will not be allowed
out
> or near any stairs until after the talk on Monday!
>
> Incidentally, I must thank John Greve for sending through a partial video
> clip and some photos of the original OOPSLA dog demo. For anyone who would
> like to see what it was like for me to have my code torn apart by Blair
and

> Timo you can click here:
>
> http://www.object.arts.dial.pipex.com/oopsla/extreme_aibo3.MPG
>
> http://www.object.arts.dial.pipex.com/oopsla/extreme_aibo1.JPG
> http://www.object.arts.dial.pipex.com/oopsla/extreme_aibo2.JPG
>
> BTW, in the video you'll notice that Timo has some trouble understanding
> what Blair was saying. This was the second demo we did and, unlike the
> first, there was a rowdy Java lunch going on in the next room which played
> havoc with the speech recognition in our demo. Yet again Java somehow
> manages to jump in and spoil the Smalltalk party :-).
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Andy Bower
> Dolphin Support
> http://www.object-arts.com
> ---
> Are you trying too hard?
> http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
> ---

Re: Wiki won't wrap

Bill Dargel
Andy Bower wrote:

> I don't think that the correct thing to do is to remove the </pre> and
> </post> tags; they are meant to be there otherwise one loses the single line
> breaks. What seems to have happened is that, in the move from the Unix
>    [snip]
> All that seems to be necessary
> to restore the status quo is to edit the page and save it down again and
> this will fix the "single line" appearence that Mark saw in MVPNightSchool6.
>    [snip]

Yep, the line-endings was the real problem. And after looking at the
MVPNightSchool? pages more closely, I see that they're much better off with the
<pre></pre> tags  (now that the line-endings have been corrected by the
re-save). So I put them back in on those 8 pages.

Thanks for pointing it out.
-Bill

Bill Dargel            [hidden email]
Shoshana Technologies
100 West Joy Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105  USA

Re: Wiki won't wrap

Mark Wilden
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> The dog is sleeping in his basket under my desk; he will not be allowed
out
> or near any stairs until after the talk on Monday!

So, how did the Refactoring Bowser do?