Wikipedia Entry for Lively: April 16th Update

1 message Options

Wikipedia Entry for Lively: April 16th Update

Philip Weaver
Dear List,

Will you help create a wikipedia entry for Lively? Lively scratch page on Wikipedia. I'll be posting this entry live within 7 days even if it ends up sliding down the wall. ;-)

Some tasks:
  • find an existing wikipedia article of some other project that we might be able to use for comparison of formatting, table of contents, etc.
  • select an image to use for the sidebar in the article (Dan's engine, or screenshot of the examples page, or other...)
  • upload the image to wikipedia legally without the editing community wigging out
  • review/enhance/decide the table of contents
  • continue to flesh out and add content to the article
  • near any hyperlinks to Lively pages in the article or at the end, make it clear which browsers work best or are supported for a good experience (Dan mentions unsupported browser below)
  • Copy the article out to wikipedia from its current scratch page (feel free to do that at any time; just be ready the hammer to come down) ;-) Kidding.
  • Point to the article from other existing listing and category pages in wikipedia: JavaScript libraries, web frameworks, etc.
Please take a step: upload and include an image - correct or adds links at the bottom or inline - write a new section - push it out - etc.

Lively scratch page on Wikipedia.

Thanks,
Philip

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Philip Weaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
Woot! Thanks Dan!

We need continue to nag everyone continuously until this wikipedia article is live. I know this is tedious work but it is that important. I don't want to have to nag because I'm the sort of person who believes in "doing the work". Unfortunately, I can't right now. But I will continue to nag. Development on LK commenced years ago yet "according to wikipedia" the project is not known.

Lively scratch page on Wikipedia.

A few months ago, I tried uploading a screenshot of the examples page. Some wikipedia user yanked it due to potential copyright violation issues I think. The conditions of uploading images to wikipedia are a maze to me.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Dan Ingalls <[hidden email]> wrote:
Philip Weaver <[hidden email]>  wrote...
Will you help create a wikipedia entry for Lively? I began a scratch page months ago. I hestitated a bit writing this because the wikipedia editing community can come down like vultures - critiquing and tagging unfinished articles.
Will you help create a wikipedia entry for Lively?

Yes, thanks so much for getting us started, Phil.  I just fleshed out the introductory sections.  It needs a simple picture, and a link to a stable but interesting sample page.  We need to take some care that reasonable things will happen if viewed from an unsupported browser (*).

Maybe someone else could copy some of the references and a few example links.

        - Dan

(*)  hey, here's a use for cloud computing:  If someone has an unsupported browser, they get redirected to a server in the cloud that renders LK and sends out a gif image of the screen.  If the user clicks or drags on it, those events get passed back to the server which does the appropriate thing and sends out a new gif showing the updated screen region (note the canvas version has all this logic already).  You get the idea...  ;-)