Wikipedia Entry for Lively

Philip Weaver
All,

Will you help create a wikipedia entry for Lively? I began a scratch page months ago. I hestitated a bit writing this because the wikipedia editing community can come down like vultures - critiquing and tagging unfinished articles.

Will you help create a wikipedia entry for Lively?

Thanks,
Philip

Re: Wikipedia Entry for Lively

Dan Ingalls-4
Re: [lively-kernel] Wikipedia Entry for Lively
Philip Weaver <[hidden email]>  wrote...
Will you help create a wikipedia entry for Lively? I began a scratch page months ago. I hestitated a bit writing this because the wikipedia editing community can come down like vultures - critiquing and tagging unfinished articles.
Will you help create a wikipedia entry for Lively?

Yes, thanks so much for getting us started, Phil.  I just fleshed out the introductory sections.  It needs a simple picture, and a link to a stable but interesting sample page.  We need to take some care that reasonable things will happen if viewed from an unsupported browser (*).

Maybe someone else could copy some of the references and a few example links.

        - Dan

(*)  hey, here's a use for cloud computing:  If someone has an unsupported browser, they get redirected to a server in the cloud that renders LK and sends out a gif image of the screen.  If the user clicks or drags on it, those events get passed back to the server which does the appropriate thing and sends out a new gif showing the updated screen region (note the canvas version has all this logic already).  You get the idea...  ;-)

Re: Wikipedia Entry for Lively

Philip Weaver
Woot! Thanks Dan!

We need continue to nag everyone continuously until this wikipedia article is live. I know this is tedious work but it is that important. I don't want to have to nag because I'm the sort of person who believes in "doing the work". Unfortunately, I can't right now. But I will continue to nag. Development on LK commenced years ago yet "according to wikipedia" the project is not known.

Lively scratch page on Wikipedia.

A few months ago, I tried uploading a screenshot of the examples page. Some wikipedia user yanked it due to potential copyright violation issues I think. The conditions of uploading images to wikipedia are a maze to me.

Some tasks:
  • find an existing wikipedia article of some other project that we might be able to use for comparison of formatting, table of contents, etc.
  • select an image to use for the sidebar in the article (Dan's engine, or screenshot of the examples page, or other...)
  • upload the image to wikipedia legally without the editing community wigging out
  • review/enhance/decide the table of contents
  • continue to flesh out and add content to the article
  • near any hyperlinks to Lively pages in the article or at the end, make it clear which browsers work best or are supported for a good experience (Dan mentions unsupported browser below)
  • Copy the article out to wikipedia from its current scratch page (feel free to do that at any time; just be ready the hammer to come down) ;-) Kidding.
  • Point to the article from other existing listing and category pages in wikipedia: JavaScript libraries, web frameworks, etc.
Please take a step: upload and include an image - correct or adds links at the bottom or inline - write a new section - push it out - etc.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Dan Ingalls <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Phil wrote...
We need continue to nag everyone continuously until this wikipedia article is live. I know this is tedious work but it is that important. I don't want to have to nag because I'm the sort of person who believes in "doing the work". Unfortunately, I can't right now. But I will continue to nag. Development on LK commenced years ago yet "according to wikipedia" the project is not known.

I agree Phil.  I think the end is in sight now.  The engine is a good example because it shows flash capabilities.  I can redo the startup image -- I've already eliminated the Sun logos.  I'll work on these. Let's try to push it out by the weekend.

Perhaps someone can copy video and pub links from the Oracle or HPI pages.

Perhaps Antero could add a short section on Lively for QT with link

        - Dan