Will Google's Dart be the next Smalltalk?

Will Google's Dart be the next Smalltalk?

Geert Claes
Administrator
Just read this interesting post: <a href="http:// http://t.co/oDH20MA">http://t.co/oDH20MA

Re: Will Google's Dart be the next Smalltalk?

candl
This post was updated on .
This is some exciting news. By the looks of it, it may be Newspeak on top of V8 as a first class citizen.

Re: Will Google's Dart be the next Smalltalk?

Alejandro Garcia
oh please... please God
an Smalltalk like language
with the corporate sponsorship
of a gigant like Google...

Would be amazing

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just read this interesting post:  http:// http://t.co/oDH20MA
> http://t.co/oDH20MA

Re: Will Google's Dart be the next Smalltalk?

drush66
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Alejandro Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> oh please... please God
> an Smalltalk like language
> with the corporate sponsorship
> of a gigant like Google...
>
> Would be amazing

well, I guess waiting a bit for the real presentation would be a good
idea. Dart's connection to Smalltalk is currently just an
extrapolation. Not that I would have anything against if it turns
true, but currently there are very few facts supporting it.

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: Will Google's Dart be the next Smalltalk?

Philippe Marschall
2011/9/9 Alejandro Garcia <[hidden email]>:
> oh please... please God
> an Smalltalk like language
> with the corporate sponsorship
> of a gigant like Google...
>
> Would be amazing

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Will Google's Dart be the next Smalltalk?

Alejandro Garcia
Interesting comment.

I was extrapolating from the idea that SUN's support for java is what
made it successful
despite it was obsolete from the beginning.

Also what Microsoft did with C#

So a Smalltalk like language with the support from Google would be nice
and with lots of potential to become a commercial success...

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Philippe Marschall
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/9/9 Alejandro Garcia <[hidden email]>:
>> oh please... please God
>> an Smalltalk like language
>> with the corporate sponsorship
>> of a gigant like Google...
>>
>> Would be amazing
>
> The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
> expecting different results.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: Will Google's Dart be the next Smalltalk?

jamesl
we should petition them to support Smalltalk not a new language.

> Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 14:42:56 -0500

> From: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Esug-list] Will Google's Dart be the next Smalltalk?
>
> Interesting comment.
>
> I was extrapolating from the idea that SUN's support for java is what
> made it successful
> despite it was obsolete from the beginning.
>
> Also what Microsoft did with C#
>
> So a Smalltalk like language with the support from Google would be nice
> and with lots of potential to become a commercial success...
>

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Philippe Marschall
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 2011/9/9 Alejandro Garcia <[hidden email]>:
> >> oh please... please God
> >> an Smalltalk like language
> >> with the corporate sponsorship
> >> of a gigant like Google...
> >>
> >> Would be amazing
> >
> > The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
> > expecting different results.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Philippe

Re: Will Google's Dart be the next Smalltalk?

Nick
A little more information I've found: http://markmail.org/message/uro3jtoitlmq6x7t

On 11 September 2011 00:13, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
we should petition them to support Smalltalk not a new language.

> Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 14:42:56 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Esug-list] Will Google's Dart be the next Smalltalk?

> Interesting comment.
>
> I was extrapolating from the idea that SUN's support for java is what
> made it successful
> despite it was obsolete from the beginning.
>
> Also what Microsoft did with C#
>
> So a Smalltalk like language with the support from Google would be nice
> and with lots of potential to become a commercial success...
>

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Philippe Marschall
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 2011/9/9 Alejandro Garcia <[hidden email]>:
> >> oh please... please God
> >> an Smalltalk like language
> >> with the corporate sponsorship
> >> of a gigant like Google...
> >>
> >> Would be amazing
> >
> > The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
> > expecting different results.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Philippe

Re: Will Google's Dart be the next Smalltalk?

Francisco Garau
It looks like a credible internal memo