Win32SystemSupport

BREITH Karl-Albert (AREVA)

Some time ago, using Windows XP, the following code piece worked just fine and returned

the correct path to gvim.exe.

Win32SystemSupport new

                getVariableWithPath: (Array with: 'SOFTWARE' with: 'Vim' with: 'Gvim')

                                               name: 'path'

                ifAbsent: [nil].

With Windows 7 (and Windows 8) I am getting always ‘nil’ as answer, although gvim is installed and

the registry path as given above is correct.

Has anyone a clue for me ?

Karl

Karl Breith
AREVA GmbH
FDN-G

Postfach 1109
91001 Erlangen

Phone:   +49 (0) 9131 900 95544

Fax:      +49 (0) 9131 900 94081

mail to:  [hidden email]

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Philippe Knoche - Geschäftsführer: Stefan vom Scheidt, Carsten Haferkamp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Erlangen - Registergericht: Fürth, HRB 7817 -
www.areva.com - Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE 206407096

Supervisory Board Chairman: Philippe Knoche - Managing Directors: Stefan vom Scheidt, Carsten Haferkamp
Company Seat: Erlangen - Commercial Registries Fürth, HRB 7817 -
www.areva.com - VAT ID code: DE 206407096

Wichtiger Hinweis: Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse bzw. sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail. Vielen Dank.

Important Note: This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Win32SystemSupport

Karsten Kusche
Hi Karl,

if the Windows 7/8 Machines run on 64bit, then you need to explicitly access the 64bit or 32bit part of the registry.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724072(v=vs.85).aspx

Kind Regards
Karsten

--
Karsten Kusche - Dipl. Inf. (FH) - [hidden email]
Georg Heeg eK - Köthen

[...]

Niall Ross
Dear Karl,
    if you are running a 32 bit program (e.g. a 32 bit VisualWorks
image) on a 64 bit platform, you get indirected to the 32 bit area of
the registry automatically.  Similarly, a 64 bit image sees only the 64
bit registry keys.  Thus if your image and installed Gvim are
bit-mismatched, that could explain why you do not see the key.

A mask must be set a if running a 32 bit image on 64 but not wanting
this indirection.  (And the same for 64 bit wanting to see 32 bit,
though it could instead look explicitly in SysWOW6432.)  KEY_READ and
KEY_WRITE give the standard masks.  The base image now includes
KEY_WOW64_64_KEY and KEY_WOW64_32_KEY (see their comments).  You can
subclass Win32SystemSupport and override to set the mask, e.g.

KEY_READ
    ^super KEY_READ + (ObjectMemory is64Bit ifTrue: [0] ifFalse: [self
KEY_WOW64_64KEY])

and the same for KEY_WRITE if you want to write, and then arrange to
route the specific not-wanting-indirection call(s) through your
subclass.  This will read (and/or write) to the 64 bit key regardless of
whether your image is 32 bit or 64 bit.  Use KEY_WOW64_32_KEY to access
always 32 bit similarly.

(Obviously, only use your subclass when you need to defeat the indirection.)

Be aware there is already a Win64SystemSupport subclass of
Win32SystemSupport in Windows Messages.

             HTH
                Niall Ross