Win98 Problem with deployed DLL

John Aspinall-5
Yesterday I experienced a problem installing a small app deployed as an
in-process DLL. Everything was fine on Win2K machines, but on Windows 98 I was
seeing the following error when attempting to register the DLL:

HRESULT Error: Incompatible version of the RPC stub. (FACILITY_WIN32)

This was the first time I'd deploying with Dolphin 5.1, so today I tried
deploying the sample COM Random package. I'm seeing the same results; runs OK on
XP, but on 98 I get the same error.

Both the Random sample and my app install OK on both 98 and XP when deployed
from 5.0.

Thanks,

John Aspinall
Solutions Software
http://www.solutionsoft.co.uk

Re: Win98 Problem with deployed DLL

Bill Schwab-2
John,

> Yesterday I experienced a problem installing a small app deployed as an
> in-process DLL. Everything was fine on Win2K machines, but on Windows 98 I
was
> seeing the following error when attempting to register the DLL:
>
> HRESULT Error: Incompatible version of the RPC stub. (FACILITY_WIN32)
>
> This was the first time I'd deploying with Dolphin 5.1, so today I tried
> deploying the sample COM Random package. I'm seeing the same results; runs
OK on
> XP, but on 98 I get the same error.
>
> Both the Random sample and my app install OK on both 98 and XP when
deployed
> from 5.0.

Dumb questions: are you deploying _on_ 98?  AFAIK, that should not work, but
I would expect that the DLL deployed on nt/2k/xp would run on 98.  Or are
you saying that it only fails if you deploy from 5.1?

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Win98 Problem with deployed DLL

John Aspinall-5
Bill,

> Dumb questions: are you deploying _on_ 98?  AFAIK, that should not work, but
> I would expect that the DLL deployed on nt/2k/xp would run on 98.  Or are
> you saying that it only fails if you deploy from 5.1?

I'm deploying on XP.

Just to clarify, a DLL deployed from 5.0 works OK on both XP and 98.
The same package deployed (on XP) from 5.1 works on XP, but not 98.

Cheers.

Re: Win98 Problem with deployed DLL

Blair McGlashan
"John Aspinall" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:Lv9sa.792$[hidden email]...
> Yesterday I experienced a problem installing a small app deployed as an
> in-process DLL. Everything was fine on Win2K machines, but on Windows 98 I
was
> seeing the following error when attempting to register the DLL:
>
> HRESULT Error: Incompatible version of the RPC stub. (FACILITY_WIN32)
>
> This was the first time I'd deploying with Dolphin 5.1, so today I tried
> deploying the sample COM Random package. I'm seeing the same results; runs
OK on
> XP, but on 98 I get the same error.
>
> Both the Random sample and my app install OK on both 98 and XP when
deployed
> from 5.0.

Thanks for the report John. We rebuilt the VM and stubs against the latest
version of the Microsoft SDK, which is presumably causing the problem,
sorry. Recorded as #1258. We will investigate.

Regards

Blair

Re: Win98 Problem with deployed DLL

Bill Schwab-2
John,

Thanks for clarifying that you deployed on XP.  Did you install 5.1 on the
affected 98 machine?  Did you run any kind of installer to move runtime
support to it, etc.?

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Win98 Problem with deployed DLL

John Aspinall-5
Bill,

> Thanks for clarifying that you deployed on XP.  Did you install 5.1 on the
> affected 98 machine?  Did you run any kind of installer to move runtime
> support to it, etc.?

I originally noticed the problem on a client's machines; they've been running
earlier versions of the app for a while and I just replace the DLL to install a
new version. I tested things out on my own 98 setup and saw the same issue. I
didn't try deploying from 98 as it's a DLL application.

FWIW, I rebuilt the DLL under 5.0 (on XP) and successfully installed it today,
although I did notice one minor problem in moving packages from 5.1 back to 5.0.
PoolConstantsDictionary now has a #name instance variable and a #named: instance
creation method - this is referenced in packages which declare ActiveX
constants. I added the instance variable to 5.0 and copied the relevant
accessors, and it installed ok.

Regards,

John Aspinall
Solutions Software
http://www.solutionsoft.co.uk

Re: Win98 Problem with deployed DLL

Bill Schwab-2
John,

> > Thanks for clarifying that you deployed on XP.  Did you install 5.1 on
the
> > affected 98 machine?  Did you run any kind of installer to move runtime
> > support to it, etc.?
>
> I originally noticed the problem on a client's machines; they've been
running
> earlier versions of the app for a while and I just replace the DLL to
install a
> new version. I tested things out on my own 98 setup and saw the same
issue. I
> didn't try deploying from 98 as it's a DLL application.

The client's machine did not have Dolphin installed?  If not, then we have
an example of the problem on a "clean" machine, so it would rule out 5.0/5.1
interactions.  Fair?  That's probabably good news, and not unexpected.

> FWIW, I rebuilt the DLL under 5.0 (on XP) and successfully installed it
today,
> although I did notice one minor problem in moving packages from 5.1 back
to 5.0.
> PoolConstantsDictionary now has a #name instance variable and a #named:
instance
> creation method - this is referenced in packages which declare ActiveX
> constants. I added the instance variable to 5.0 and copied the relevant
> accessors, and it installed ok.

Interesting.  I did effectively the same thing by pointing Ian's Chunk
Browser at the tail of the 5.1 change log.  I'm pressing forward on a few
things in 5.0, and will try 5.1 again as soon as that settles down.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Win98 Problem with deployed DLL

Blair McGlashan
"John Aspinall" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:Lv9sa.792$[hidden email]...
> Yesterday I experienced a problem installing a small app deployed as an
> in-process DLL. Everything was fine on Win2K machines, but on Windows 98 I
was
> seeing the following error when attempting to register the DLL:
>
> HRESULT Error: Incompatible version of the RPC stub. (FACILITY_WIN32)

Sorry for the delay in getting a solution to this. We've tracked the problem
down to the new version of the MIDL compiler shipping with the platform SDK.
It includes the /robust flag as the default and generates stubs that are
only compatible with Win2K and later - so one has to change ones builds to
explicitly include the no_robust flag so that the results are the same as
before. Ah well, such is progress...

We will be distributing new stubs as part of PL2, either as a complete new
installation, or perhaps via LiveUpdate. In the meantime a new version of
the in-proc DLL stub can be downloaded from:

http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/Update/Dolphin/5.1/IPDolphinToGo.dll

This should be saved over the top of the same named file in the Dolphin
program files directory, e.g. C:\Program Files\Object Arts\Dolphin Smalltalk
5.1

Regards

Blair

Re: Win98 Problem with deployed DLL

Bill Schwab-2
Blair,

> This should be saved over the top of the same named file in the Dolphin
> program files directory, e.g. C:\Program Files\Object Arts\Dolphin
Smalltalk
> 5.1

Will the Windows Installer shortcuts undo the change?

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.