WinService not functioning

Stefaan Denolf

Hi,

I am trying to use [WinService, version  1.1.1 ] package from the cincom public repository.

It is a interface to the window api for managing windows services, using DLL CC.

My problem is that after loading it from our store repository, the ‘WinServiceInterfaceDictionary’ is sometimes empty or not correct.

Has anyone had the same problem or any suggestion how to solve it?

Thanks

Stefaan Denolf

Re: WinService not functioning

Steven Kelly

There have been similar problems throughout the history of this package, and others that have ExternalInterface subclasses. See the version comments for some approaches that have been tried, and note the prerequisite and postLoadBlock.

See e.g. http://www.parcplace.net/list/vwnc-archive/0711/msg00082.html

Setting the ExternalInterface subclasses’ optimizationLevel to #debug then back to #full, accepting after each, should get your image OK. That doesn’t necessarily mean that when you publish, what ends up in Store is good, nor that somebody loading it will get a good result.

What version of VW are you using? Have you tried loading directly from the public store, rather than replicating to your own repository (replication has messed up ExternalInterface loading before, don’t know if it’s fixed). Try searching the vwnc list archive and the online Resolutions.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Re: WinService not functioning

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

Yea, here for 7.7 we ended up moving all our external interfaces into a single package and publishing it binary. That seems to have solved all odd issues relating to the loader.

-Boris

--

DeepCove Labs Ltd.

+1 (604) 689-0322

4th floor, 595 Howe Street

Vancouver, British Columbia

Canada V6C 2T5

http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

PacNet Services (Europe) Ltd.

+353 (0)61 714-360

Shannon Airport House, SFZ

County Clare, Ireland

http://tinyurl.com/y952amr

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete the entire message including any attachments.

Thank you.

Re: WinService not functioning

Niall Ross
Dear Boris,
as between the two aspects of this solution in 7.7:

- You find publishing binary makes for safety, and grouped your
ExternalInterface subclasses into a single package just to minimise the
number of packages you must therefore publish binary?

- The grouping into a single package had value in itself, independent of
whether you published binary or not?

Which of these best describes the situation?

Yours faithfully
Niall Ross

> Yea, here for 7.7 we ended up moving all our external interfaces into
> a single package and publishing it binary. That seems to have solved
> all odd issues relating to the loader.
>
> -Boris
>
> --
>
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
>
> +1 (604) 689-0322
>
> 4th floor, 595 Howe Street
>
> Vancouver, British Columbia
>
> Canada V6C 2T5
>
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4
>
> PacNet Services (Europe) Ltd.
>
> +353 (0)61 714-360
>
> Shannon Airport House, SFZ
>
> County Clare, Ireland
>
> http://tinyurl.com/y952amr
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
> private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
> notify the sender and delete the entire message including any attachments.
>
> Thank you.

Niall,

The first one, because of issues with binary publishing in 7.7 (see
earlier discussions about defaults and patches) it was easier for me to
maintain a single package.

HTH,

-Boris

--
DeepCove Labs Ltd.
+1 (604) 689-0322
4th floor, 595 Howe Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada V6C 2T5
http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

PacNet Services (Europe) Ltd.
+353 (0)61 714-360
Shannon Airport House, SFZ
County Clare, Ireland
http://tinyurl.com/y952amr

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header.
Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and
confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
and delete the entire message including any attachments.

Thank you.

as between the two aspects of this solution in 7.7:

- You find publishing binary makes for safety, and grouped your
ExternalInterface subclasses into a single package just to minimise the
number of packages you must therefore publish binary?

- The grouping into a single package had value in itself, independent of

whether you published binary or not?

Which of these best describes the situation?

Yours faithfully
Niall Ross

> Yea, here for 7.7 we ended up moving all our external interfaces into
> a single package and publishing it binary. That seems to have solved
> all odd issues relating to the loader.
>
> -Boris
>
> --
>
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
>
> +1 (604) 689-0322
>
> 4th floor, 595 Howe Street
>
> Vancouver, British Columbia
>
> Canada V6C 2T5
>
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4
>
> PacNet Services (Europe) Ltd.
>
> +353 (0)61 714-360
>
> Shannon Airport House, SFZ
>
> County Clare, Ireland
>
> http://tinyurl.com/y952amr
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
> private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
> notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
attachments.

> Thank you.

Dear Boris and Stefaan,

Stefaan,
    please confirm (or correct) that you are using 7.7 and that you
replicated using 7.7.  As Steve remarks, older replicators lost CTYPES,
then I fixed it circa 2005/6, then the fix got lost again and then it
was reinserted.

Boris,
    thanks, that is helpful in letting us fix the problem.  (It also
exonorates my change to the placement of ExternalInterface dictionaries
in 7.7 from being involved, which is a relief to me. :-) )

In old Store (7.6 and earlier), a cluncky method of marking CTYPE
methods and loading them first provided a single-pass attempt at valid
load order for source-loading of interdependent <C:...> methods, but was
unreliable when types were defined in terms of other types and so on.
The new improved this, but if you are seeing some kind of unreliablility
in the source-load of a package with triple or quadruple chains of C
types defined in terms of other types then that points to the possible
source of the problem.

If this theory of the issue is correct then, provided the _source_ of
the package looks OK, repeated #recompileMethods sent to its
ExternalInterface subclasses should in due course make the package OK in
your image.  If anyone finds that no amount of this can solve their
problem, that would be of interest.

IIUC publishing binary is only a solution when the loaded package is
already OK (or has been made so by the above procedure).

          Yours faithfully
             Niall Ross

>Niall,
>
>The first one, because of issues with binary publishing in 7.7 (see
>earlier discussions about defaults and patches) it was easier for me to
>maintain a single package.
>
>HTH,
>
>-Boris

Re: WinService not functioning

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
Am 14.05.2010 11:36, schrieb Stefaan Denolf:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use [WinService, version 1.1.1 ] package from the cincom
> public repository.
>
> It is a interface to the window api for managing windows services, using
> DLL CC.
>
> My problem is that after loading it from our store repository, the
> ‘WinServiceInterfaceDictionary’ is sometimes empty or not correct.
>
> Has anyone had the same problem or any suggestion how to solve it?

WinServiceInterfaceDictionary was not part of the package, so it was
always generated and added to the package. This looks like a bad idea
now, so I've published 1.1.2 with this dictionary (and a few minor tweaks).

Re: WinService not functioning

Stefaan Denolf

Yes, we are using  7.7.

Thanks for your input.