WinXP image does not open in Win98

Sebastián Sastre
Hi,

    I have this working image that runs in a Windows XP.

    When I copy the image to a Win98se it does not open. I mean it only
works normally on winXP. Below this message I pasted a copy of the last
segment of the .ERROS file.

    There is somethig I can do to run this image on win98?

    thanks,

--
Sebastián Sastre
Seaswork

18:45:18, Miércoles, 09 de Marzo de 2005: Unhandled exception - an
Error('non-continuable exception')

[] in RichEdit class>>registerClass
[] in Win32Error(Exception)>>_evaluateHandler:in:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
Win32Error(Exception)>>_evaluateHandler:in:
Win32Error(Exception)>>_propagateFrom:
Win32Error(Exception)>>_propagate
Win32Error(Exception)>>signal
Win32Error(Exception)>>signal:
Win32Error class(Exception class)>>signal:
ExternalLibrary class>>load:flags:
ExternalLibrary>>basicOpen:
ExternalLibrary>>open:
ExternalLibrary class>>open:
[] in RichEdit class>>registerClass
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>markAndTry
[] in ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
RichEdit class>>registerClass
RichEdit class>>onStartup
[] in View class>>onStartup
[] in ControlView class(Behavior)>>allSubclassesPreOrderDo:
Array(ArrayedCollection)>>do:
ControlView class(Behavior)>>allSubclassesPreOrderDo:
[] in View class(Behavior)>>allSubclassesPreOrderDo:
Array(ArrayedCollection)>>do:
View class(Behavior)>>allSubclassesPreOrderDo:
View class(Behavior)>>allSubclassesDo:
View class>>onStartup
[] in DevelopmentSessionManager(GUISessionManager)>>windowSystemStartup
SystemDictionary(Dictionary)>>at:ifPresent:
[] in DevelopmentSessionManager(GUISessionManager)>>windowSystemStartup
Array(ArrayedCollection)>>do:
DevelopmentSessionManager(GUISessionManager)>>windowSystemStartup
DevelopmentSessionManager(GUISessionManager)>>startUI
DevelopmentSessionManager(SessionManager)>>secondaryStartup
[] in DevelopmentSessionManager(SessionManager)>>onStartup:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
DevelopmentSessionManager(SessionManager)>>onStartup:
ProcessorScheduler>>onStartup:
[] in ProcessorScheduler>>vmi:list:no:with:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
ProcessorScheduler>>vmi:list:no:with:
DevelopmentSessionManager>>snapshot:
DevelopmentSessionManager>>snapshot
DevelopmentSessionManager>>saveImageDefault
[] in DevelopmentSessionManager(SessionManager)>>saveImage
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
DevelopmentSessionManager(SessionManager)>>saveImage
[] in DevelopmentSessionManager>>onQueryEndSession:
MessageBox>>confirm:onYes:onNo:onCancel:
DevelopmentSessionManager>>onQueryEndSession:
EventMessageSend>>forwardTo:withArguments:
EventMessageSend(MessageSendAbstract)>>valueWithArguments:
[] in EventMessageSequence(MessageSequenceAbstract)>>valueWithArguments:
EventMessageSequence>>messagesDo:
EventMessageSequence(MessageSequenceAbstract)>>valueWithArguments:
EventsCollection>>triggerEvent:with:
DevelopmentSessionManager(Object)>>trigger:with:
DevelopmentSessionManager(SessionManager)>>queryEndSession
DevelopmentSessionManager(SessionManager)>>onQuit:
InputState>>pumpMessage:
InputState>>loopWhile:
InputState>>mainLoop
[] in InputState>>forkMain
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>markAndTry
[] in ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
[] in BlockClosure>>newProcess

Re: WinXP image does not open in Win98

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Sebastián,

>     I have this working image that runs in a Windows XP.
>
>     When I copy the image to a Win98se it does not open. I mean it only
> works normally on winXP. Below this message I pasted a copy of the last
> segment of the .ERROS file.
>
>     There is somethig I can do to run this image on win98?

Is RichEdit one of Ian's goodies, or is it part of D5 or D4?  I ask
because I don't see it in my 5.1 image, not even as an aliasing global.
  The more optional it is, the better.  You might simply be able to
close views, panic the image to close any zombies, or (mostly likely)
uninstall any packages that include or depend on it.  You might also
find that the Win98 machine is simply missing a required file.  What
version of IE does it have?  Upgrading that might be enough.

You probably already know that win98 will be getting difficult to
support in the relatively near future.  MS has extended its life,
presumably to benefit the third world, but my more cynical betting cash
says it has more to do with not pushing people to Linux [1].  Regardless
of the reasons, they will almost certainly have to call it quits
eventually.  Switching to win2k might be another option for you.  With
all of the gratuitous menu animations and such disabled, I have it
running quite nicely on 500 MHz Celerons.

Are you trying to run on one 98 machine or do you have many of them that
need to run for a while?  If that latter, _please_ tell us they are
behind a very good firewall, or preferably not on the net???

Have a good one,

Bill

[1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/01/04/red_flag_linux_beats_out/

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: WinXP image does not open in Win98

Sebastián Sastre
Dear Bill,

    It's not my choice. There still be a lot of users that I asure you
they'll use win98 for a considerably time.

    Anyway, I have updated this win98 to the lastest MS patches (with
windows update).

    The SmalltalkSystemShell (the blue one) do not opens. When I double
click the Professional.img file the hard disk loads until a walckback
appears on top left corner (actually a half outside the screen). If I select
debug the debugger is opened in 3 cm long and 5 mm tall, and I have to
resize it. The same with all the tool's windows.

    Help  = :-0

--
Sebastián Sastre
Seaswork
Special Software Solutions
www.seaswork.com.ar

"Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]> escribió en el mensaje
news:d0o6on$v8a$[hidden email]...

> Sebastián,
>
>>     I have this working image that runs in a Windows XP.
>>
>>     When I copy the image to a Win98se it does not open. I mean it only
>> works normally on winXP. Below this message I pasted a copy of the last
>> segment of the .ERROS file.
>>
>>     There is somethig I can do to run this image on win98?
>
> Is RichEdit one of Ian's goodies, or is it part of D5 or D4?  I ask
> because I don't see it in my 5.1 image, not even as an aliasing global.
> The more optional it is, the better.  You might simply be able to close
> views, panic the image to close any zombies, or (mostly likely) uninstall
> any packages that include or depend on it.  You might also find that the
> Win98 machine is simply missing a required file.  What version of IE does
> it have?  Upgrading that might be enough.
>
> You probably already know that win98 will be getting difficult to support
> in the relatively near future.  MS has extended its life, presumably to
> benefit the third world, but my more cynical betting cash says it has more
> to do with not pushing people to Linux [1].  Regardless of the reasons,
> they will almost certainly have to call it quits eventually.  Switching to
> win2k might be another option for you.  With all of the gratuitous menu
> animations and such disabled, I have it running quite nicely on 500 MHz
> Celerons.
>
> Are you trying to run on one 98 machine or do you have many of them that
> need to run for a while?  If that latter, _please_ tell us they are behind
> a very good firewall, or preferably not on the net???
>
> Have a good one,
>
> Bill
>
> [1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/01/04/red_flag_linux_beats_out/
>

> --
> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: WinXP image does not open in Win98

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Sebastián,

>     It's not my choice. There still be a lot of users that I asure you
> they'll use win98 for a considerably time.

Understood.

>     Anyway, I have updated this win98 to the lastest MS patches (with
> windows update).

FWIW, that's not the same as upgrading IE.  The latter can do wonders
for available libraries.  It's at least worth checking the version
number; if they are 3.x, it's time :)

>     The SmalltalkSystemShell (the blue one) do not opens. When I double
> click the Professional.img file the hard disk loads until a walckback
> appears on top left corner (actually a half outside the screen). If I select
> debug the debugger is opened in 3 cm long and 5 mm tall, and I have to
> resize it. The same with all the tool's windows.
>
>     Help  = :-0

The first thing to consider is the RichEdit in your image.  Use your XP
machine to see where it lives in the package structure.  Make a backup
and remove the offending package (if possible).  Failing that, you will
need to see what RichEdit class>>registerClass does, but it appears that
the library it wants is not on the machine, but it might also be present
but not have its required dependencies.  An IE upgrade might fix either
condition.

The walkback you describe is normal for an image that gets into trouble
during startup, so I wouldn't attribute much to anything beyond "the
image does not start correctly" and the following from the error dump:

Win32Error class(Exception class)>>signal:
ExternalLibrary class>>load:flags:
ExternalLibrary>>basicOpen:
ExternalLibrary>>open:
ExternalLibrary class>>open:
[] in RichEdit class>>registerClass
RichEdit class>>registerClass
RichEdit class>>onStartup
[] in View class>>onStartup

Browsing RichEdit class>>registerClass should show you the library that
is having problems.  From there, you either have to stop trying to load
it (remove the offending packages) or ensure that it can work (upgrade
IE or otherwise fix the problem with the library).

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: WinXP image does not open in Win98

Chris Uppal-3
Sebastián, Bill,

> The first thing to consider is the RichEdit in your image.  Use your XP
> machine to see where it lives in the package structure.

FWIW, there is a RichEdit in Ian's goodies.  It's in the sub-directory of
WinXP-specific stuff, so from that, and from the package comment:

    Wrappers for the newer (V4.1) RichEdit common control

I'd guess that it's using a version of the rich text library that is only
present on WinXP machines (by default).

Specifically, it requires:

    RICHED20.DLL
    msftedit.DLL

so presumably one or the other of those is not present on W98 boxes.

If you are using his 'IDB Printer' package (as who wouldn't ?) then you should
notice that there are two versions of it, one for Win98 (and up), and another
that requires at least Win2K.  If you are going to use the same image on both
Win98 and Win2K, then you should (I suppose -- I can't test it since I don't
have Win98 any more) standardise on the Win98 version on both machines.  (Or
somehow upgrade Win98 to provide the new APIs -- but I have no idea if that's
even possible.)

    -- chris

Re: WinXP image does not open in Win98

Ian Bartholomew-19
Sebastián,

As Chris and Bill have pointed out the problem is with a dll that is missing
on non XP systems( as well as a bit of bad code on my part), in this case it
will be msftedit.dll.  I would be a bit surprised if riched20 was not there
as I think that has been included on all systems since Win95.

For most purposes you may well be able to get away with not using
msftedit.dll - just remove or comment out the code in
RichEdit>>registerClass that loads it.  If you don't need the RichEdit class
for anything other than printing then go to the PackageBrowser and uninstall
the "IDB RichEdit" package.  It should go cleanly (just taking two reporting
packages with it) and the printing goodies should then recognize that
RichEdit is not available and use RichTextEdit instead.

Note that I can't actually try it as I don't, and never have had, a Win98
system to experiment on.

Mail me if you have questions or problems.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: WinXP image does not open in Win98

Sebastián Sastre
Ian, all,

    I've commented the code in RichEdit>>registerClass as you said and the
image starts normally now :-P

    thanks,

--
Sebastián Sastre