Window Maximize

Michael Gross-4

I was wondering if it is possible for a Smalltalk Window to “pop to the top” of a user’s PC.

The current scenario is Smalltalk receives an external message and opens up a window if appropriate.

If Smalltalk is minimized on the user’s PC the window opens up but, in the minimized state.

Is there a way to open up this window so it is not minimized?

Thanks!

Mike

Re: Window Maximize

Dave Stevenson-3
From VisualLauncher>>winRestoreAll...

    aWindow expand

Dave Stevenson
[hidden email]

Re: Window Maximize

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

Doesn’t that only work if your application process already has user focus? I was under the impression that you’re not able to bring any windows to the top of the desktop stack if that isn’t the case; so that applications don’t abuse the API and keep popping up in front of other applications as you’re working away.

-Boris

Re: Window Maximize

Dave Stevenson-3
Works for me in VW 7.6 on Win XP:

ScheduledWindow scheduledControllers do: #collapse.
[(Delay forSeconds: 4) wait.
ScheduledWindow scheduledWindows do: #expand] fork

After the windows collapse, I click on my web browser to give it focus. The VW windows pop back up anyway.

I don't know which Windoze API is called.

Dave Stevenson
[hidden email]

Doesn’t that only work if your application process already has user focus? I was under the impression that you’re not able to bring any windows to the top of the desktop stack if that isn’t the case; so that applications don’t abuse the API and keep popping up in front of other applications as you’re working away.

-Boris

Re: Window Maximize

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

Interesting, I may have been thinking of #raise in case of new windows being opened while in another application.

-Boris

Doesn’t that only work if your application process already has user focus? I was under the impression that you’re not able to bring any windows to the top of the desktop stack if that isn’t the case; so that applications don’t abuse the API and keep popping up in front of other applications as you’re working away.

-Boris

Re: Window Maximize

Dave Stevenson-3
One example of being able to raise new windows (not just expand existing windows) when VW does not have focus is loading a bundle in VW 7.6 / Win XP. Even if I minimize all VW windows, new progress dialogs still pop up on the screen as each package is loaded.

If VW does not have focus, #raise will bring a VW window to the front of all other VW windows, but will not bring it in front of the active non-VW window, nor give the VW window focus.

Dave Stevenson
[hidden email]

Interesting, I may have been thinking of #raise in case of new windows being opened while in another application.

-Boris

Doesn’t that only work if your application process already has user focus? I was under the impression that you’re not able to bring any windows to the top of the desktop stack if that isn’t the case; so that applications don’t abuse the API and keep popping up in front of other applications as you’re working away.

-Boris

Re: Window Maximize

Dennis smith-4
Yes -- it comes up and in front of other VW windows but not non-VW windows.  This is about to prove
a bit of a problem for us -- we have a client who will be running a large VW application-set, but may also be using Word, Excel etc -- and needs to be notified of incoming data (from outside the VW applications) that needs response within a very few minutes -- and we can't do that notify in VW -- at least so far as we can see.

On Jun 24/11 10:57 AM, Dave Stevenson wrote:
[...]

Dennis Smith                 		         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="sip:dennis@CherniakSoftware.com">sip:dennis@...
Canada			         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: Window Maximize

Nowak, Helge

I am sure that some of the smart Windows users on this list have an idea how Outlook does it with the transparent preview windows when an email comes in …

HTH

Helge

Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              <a href="sip:dennis@CherniakSoftware.com">sip:dennis@...
Canada                          http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: Window Maximize

Claus Kick
Hello,

I guess you are looking for the task bar and its extensions:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc144179%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#Taskbar_Creation_Not

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee330740%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc144177%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#appbar_notification_messages

I am not sure whether there is a parcel for VW for this.

--
Claus Kick

"Wenn Sie mich suchen: Ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf.
Genauer gesagt auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik.
Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst, nicht weit weg von Irrwitz und Idiotie."

"If you are looking for me: I am somewhere near to lunacy.
More clearly, on the narrow path between lunacy and panic.
Right around the corner of  fear of death,
not far away from idiocy and insanity."

Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:dennis@...
Canada                          http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: Window Maximize

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

It might be easier to use something like Growl to implement notifications,

http://www.growlforwindows.com/gfw/displays.aspx

http://growl.info/about.php

It looks like someone built a basic client for Squeak, so it could be quite simple to port it to VisualWorks or implement one from scratch,

http://www.growlforwindows.com/gfw/help/gntp.aspx#overview

http://map.squeak.org/package/53461320-bace-4d14-a0e1-74ba7c1c8d3a/autoversion/1

HTH,

-Boris

[...]

Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:[hidden email]
Canada                          http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: Window Maximize

Nowak, Helge

I vaguely remember that Jim Robertson did a VW-Growl-thing

Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              <a href="sip:dennis@CherniakSoftware.com" style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">sip:dennis@...
Canada                          http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: Window Maximize

jarober
Yeah, but check with Cincom

On Jun 27, 2011, at 2:20 PM, Michael Gross wrote:

James,
              So in regards to my initial question I would take that as a NO.
Is that correct?

Thanks,

Mike

I am sure that some of the smart Windows users on this list have an idea how Outlook does it with the transparent preview windows when an email comes in …

HTH
Helge

Interesting, I may have been thinking of #raise in case of new windows being opened while in another application.

-Boris

Doesn’t that only work if your application process already has user focus? I was under the impression that you’re not able to bring any windows to the top of the desktop stack if that isn’t the case; so that applications don’t abuse the API and keep popping up in front of other applications as you’re working away.

-Boris

Re: Window Maximize

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms633539(VS.85).aspx

The system restricts which processes can set the foreground window. A process can set the foreground window only if one of the following conditions is true:

The process is the foreground process.

The process was started by the foreground process.

The process received the last input event.

There is no foreground process.

The foreground process is being debugged.

The foreground is not locked (see LockSetForegroundWindow).

The foreground lock time-out has expired (see SPI_GETFOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT in SystemParametersInfo).

No menus are active.

An application cannot force a window to the foreground while the user is working with another window. Instead, Windows flashes the taskbar button of the window to notify the user.

HTH,

-Boris

I am sure that some of the smart Windows users on this list have an idea how Outlook does it with the transparent preview windows when an email comes in …

HTH

Helge

Interesting, I may have been thinking of #raise in case of new windows being opened while in another application.

-Boris

Doesn’t that only work if your application process already has user focus? I was under the impression that you’re not able to bring any windows to the top of the desktop stack if that isn’t the case; so that applications don’t abuse the API and keep popping up in front of other applications as you’re working away.

-Boris

Re: Window Maximize

Holger Guhl
Support customers might want to give Resolution Res97526 a try.
For another customer I had developed some extensions for Win32SystemSupport and Window that provide some utilities to get closer to what you want. The resolution comment can tell you more about the matter.
Boris is totally correct, and the Resolution does not wipe those OS restrictions away, but you can achieve a 95% solution. The code is for VW7.6 and 7.7, but I am pretty sure that it's immediately usable in newer versions.
Please contact Support if you are interested.

Cheers
Holger

Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="sip:dennis@CherniakSoftware.com">sip:dennis@...
Canada                          http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

James Robertson

James Robertson